Top Gear: GTR's time | FerrariChat

Top Gear: GTR's time

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Akira, Jul 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    #1 Akira, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    No Way..... unless Nissan warped the space-time again with the flux capacitor hidden under the trunk.

3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I guess Top Gear got the same car they used at the 'Ring. :)

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Black magic is the only explanation as the weight and power absolutely make these results impossible for that car.
    Otherwise,it means that Ferrari,Porsche ,etc is about 20 years behind Nissan in making performance cars......

5. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    I think someone just BS'ed in the Wikipedia. I know the car is fast, but that kind of time is nearly impossible. If that time is authentic, then we are left with two possible options.

1. Nissan lied, Top Gear lied, Autocar lied, Motor Trend lied, Road & Track lied, Millen lied, Car Magazine lied, Automobile Magazine lied, Evo Magazine lied, Best Motoring lied, the car was rigged, the tires were slick, the video was faked, the car was tuned and the car never pulled 7:29 at Nurburgring.

or

2. The new GT-R is fast, and we still have a hard time understanding how Nissan did it despite all the technical explaination.

I guess we'll have 24 hours to find out. I say it's option 2, though I really don't think the car did that time on Top Gear. The Stig is many things but he's not a liar.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Theres no way Top gear would lie on behalf of the GT-R so whatever they say when it airs...thats what it is. I cant believe its going to be that fast but I'll know soon enough.

7. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm surprised you guys aren't condemning the Atom as well, then. If a 300Bhp Supercharged engine with an incredibly amazing suspension setup can lap the track in 19.5, why can't a 480Bhp car that also has an incredible suspension & braking setup go .6 seconds faster?

You guys need to realize the Enzo & the MC12 aren't new cars anymore, and that both those manufacturers and others have now come even further along in technology. Horsepower is not everything on this track.

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Please put SPOILER in the title. I already read it on a different website, but since this episode comes tomorrow, Some people probably want to watch it. It also got taken down from Wikipedia.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ariel Atom weighs 1000lbs.

10. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    So it matched the Enzos time..... what will the haters say now... at the Top gear test track didnt the Z06 run 1:23s?

11. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain

lol

12. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    i dont know, but wasnt it on a wet track?

they seem to run american cars on a wet track :eek:

13. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I just checked, bone dry track 1:22.4

14. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I reckon you guys are in for a surprise, this is a monster

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    +1000

16. Zzono

Zzono Karting

Apr 21, 2008
    I agree with you.
    It cannot be true that not one or two, but so many experts lie.

Maybe Nissan handed in a "different car"( tuned car or whatever ).
    But one thing is sure: most experts love GT-R

17. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #17 FerrariF50lover, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
    We dont know this for sure the source is Wiki which we all know is only sometimes reliable. I could go edit times for a F150 to be the fastest around Top Gears test track. Maybe you missed the video of the Z06 womping on the GTR from a roll on the street, maybe you can explain to me how a car that gets beat by atleast 3 car lengths can keep up with it on a track that is mainly a high speed track. Shouldnt you be over on a K swap forum fathoming about doing a Kswap in your CRX.

18. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Nah, I already did the swap :p
    The top gear track is a mix of low and high speed, therefore it doesnt really favour either car. You cannot compare a roll on race on a highway to an actual track, there is a world of difference....

19. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Paul Walker is at it again!.

Either way the Ultima GTR still runs circles around it and is much cheaper and more ligit so guess whos the poser now? :D Ill just say it ain't the kit car.

20. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Ya I saw that. ZO6 killed GTR on top end and from the stop. But we all know faster in straight line doesn't equal faster around the track. Different tools for different task. 911TT and ZO6 is faster than GTR in straight, I think we can all agree on that. But at the track? It seems most people/magazines agree that GTR is faster.

As for the explanation, I don't know to be honest. I'll just have to see the show. Maybe they can show us why GTR is so fast on the track.

21. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    The GT-R lapped the Top Gear track in 1:19.7 equalling the time of the F430 Scuderia, and beating the times set by the C6 Z06 and 997 GT3 RS. Impressive.

22. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

Waiting for sceptics of the GT-R to reply to this, I am keen on hearing their excuses :p

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Nissan made a deal with the devil to alter the space-time continuum at every racetrack in the world. In return, the devil is making all their cars incredibly ugly

24. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Thank God, I was about to unleash my BS flag if the GT-R really ran faster than 1:18 like the Op posted. 1:19.7 is actually quite consistent with the Nurburgring time of 7:29. It's also consistent with Millen's test in the magazine and other reviews from around the globe. This makes the GT-R the fastest 2+2 GT car ever. Very impressive indeed. *now awaiting the hater BS's claiming Nissan provided a ringer* Maybe I'll concede this much - perhaps every GT-R that rolls out of the factor is a ringer..... except the one C&D tested. Now then.... Scuderia, or F430 Spider plus the GT-R? Seems quite pointless to pay so much more for a raw track dedicated car (Scuderia, GT3 RS, Merc Black series, Exige.....) when they can't beat a Nissan GT touring 4 seater on the track.

25. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    The thing is; I assume that the Scuderia is faster on some tracks. But for what should be Ferraris ultimate drivers car/ racecar for the street, getting beaten by a family car maker is pretty much humiliation. The Scuderia should beat it on the straight line, in the corners and on every damn track on this planet.

And now I smile and wait for Nissan racecar for the street version (V-spec) to rip that Koenigsegg w/ Top Gear spoiler apart :)