Tooth found in differential drain | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Tooth found in differential drain

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Feb 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy

I'm positive someone could have done just that, my issue was I believe the hardness wasn't correct on the tooth. Likely it would be a matter of time before it happened again. If I never have to go that deep into a car (this or any other) again, I would be happy. Terrifying to be that deep into this. Fortunately the gears from GT Car Parts were more readily available and matching ratios than the ones I found in first-party. They made several revisions and this one suffered from being an early version. I opted to change second gear as well, seeing another member do first gear, only to have to do second within a few years. I am not trying to do this twice!

I do have my original second gear in great shape if anyone needs...26k miles and looks great. No indications of spalling or wear

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    can you please post the spare part numbers stamped on the gears?

3. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I completely forgot to post this, sorry about that!

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/testarossa-boxer-first-and-second-gears.626809/

I am now over 500 miles since the overhaul. There's one small drip on the passenger side lower cambelt cover, I ran a boroscope up inside the cam cover, so I know the belts are dry. It may be at the corner where the camshaft cover (valve cover) meets that o-ring but I can't quite tell. It is a "wipe clean every 500 miles" and is the ONLY oil leak/drip/drop I have! That is amazing.

Driveshaft output seals were my biggest issue. I ended up going with the multi lip VW factory seal. Dimensional-ly the same size as factory Ferrari and had better oil control cast into the rubber. I used some small aluminum shims UNDER the seal to ensure it was installing vertically. I think a lot of the leaking issue (did this job 3 times with Ferrari brand parts!) was the seal not going in the bore "true", being in too far at the top . The small shim we cut on a lathe fits into the bore where the seal mounts and has no contact with anything other than the back of the seal. Works for me!

Some thoughts after all that I did:

I would not recommend the Eurospares clutch kit, given what I had to do to modify this one. It works great now, but too much fussing around. I would go Ferrari next time, likely the single disc setup.

Rebuild the alternator. Doesn't matter if it needs it, I would recommend the diode trio at the VERY least. These are no longer available new, and they are the same model as a P30 Chevrolet van, 120 amp. The diodes are slightly different than a standard GM alternator, so I would leave an extra day to find those. The alternator bearings have fewer rollers in the 80's, versus later bearings. It's worth swapping to a newer set, as they offer more control of deflection.

Hill Engineering bearings are a must. Quality is exceptional.

Cassidy

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good idea :)