Too much home...? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Too much home...?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by hdpt00, Aug 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Looks like it's following the same plan as a typical Windows distro.

Useless "features," critical and recommended updates ad nauseum...

2. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    That house is perheps the most high-tech home ever from what I've seen.

3. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  4. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Gorgous home...

My dream house is a loft, 1 bedroom, 2 bath, living area w/see through garage so i can my two fcars every morning....;)

5. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #80 CMY, Aug 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Cartmangio

Cartmangio Karting

Oct 1, 2005
    Cali
    Taxes in Texas are somethign like 3%, so that would run you about 400k a year for a 13.5 purchase price. Not to consider Electricty costs of running the AC.

As far as a home size is concerned, I am seriously considerin selling my home and temporarily moving into an apt complex here in OC where it is filled with alot of my friends and the younger college crowd (the complex is over 1000 units). Living in a house surrounded by families doesnt really do it for me.

Had a buddy who bought a 6,000 sf home (he was a bachelor as well) it was all fun the first week. He said it was great for parties, but he spent most of his time in one room and the utility/upkeep costs were a joke. He moved back out in 3 months.

7. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Mark, Brandon isn't a Dan... He bought a very nice place from Luke with the Euro Rosso Scuderia 360 in Austin. Randy referred him to Luke and he made the purchase. He definitely can afford more than an average 21 year old. I know him personally.

8. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Yes, there are... I know of several.
    One person is having a 25k-30ksf home built right now. He calls it a castle though.

9. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon

Thx Mike. Luk's the man, right.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How's that house with the observatory coming along? I think you said some video game guy owned the place. It looked like a small town on a sloped, lake front, hill.

11. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    That's the one I was referring to. It's still under construction. The big yellow crane in gone, but now there is a smaller black crane. It's hard to tell how far along it is.

12. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Yep, Luke is a real cool guy, and funny too. I'll never forget the time I rode in his 360. He was saying some funny stuff. :)

13. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    So much space out there in TX.

I was curious and browsed through the MLS listing in the bay area. Only a handful of homes over 10k sqft.

I remember seeing this house in the early stages of construction, I thought it was HUGE, but it's only 11,000sq/ft.

http://www.mlslistings.com/common/properties/propertyDetail.asp?open=0&page=4&mls_number=628817&type=property&name=

Anyway, good luck with the house hunt. I've been in a ~8,000sq/ft home in SoCal and personally thought it was too much to handle for a family with only 4 people. If you do get that big of a house, I hope you're throwing an FChat party!

14. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Awesome, the second house is gorgous, well all pics are...thats what i would want, ill be happy with a 2K home and a couple of Ferrari's, just for me and mi novia

15. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    As it seems that the bigger the house, the higher the value, the higher the taxes. Simple, just build an average sized place with a huge mansion underneath it...and unknown to the tax apprasier! Just a stupid thought.....

16. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Not really...

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    4 bedrooms and 12 car garage sounds about right to me.

Having grown up in small 'wartime' ramblers, large homes with too much open space and vaulted ceilings make me feel uncomfortable sometimes. I really like visiting those homes, but would be a real change for me. I like cozy. While I think a sprawling, 40-room mansion/castle would be cool, I think it would make me feel "out of control" of it all - you would have to have staff to take care of a place like that and it would feel like a hotel with people running around doing stuff for you.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I think any sq ft below ground isn't included in property tax. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I didn't think basements were common in Texas.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I was just talking in general.

Btw, that 2nd house from that link in Cali is nice! A huge piece of land. Where was that part about the car lift for the living room? I couldn't find it.

21. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Holy crap, 15,000 sq feet? Im sitting on 3400, right now and its pretty friggen big. 15,000 and Im sure if it were just two people we would be seperated from each other for days (maybe thats a good thing sometimes..I dont know). For me, a dream house would be like

2500 sq ft on 100 acers of land. 737 sized hangar, that can be filled with cars, or a plane. A couple of auto lifts in there too. A personal race track that has a 7,000 foot straight away that doubles as a runway. A sprinkler system where I can make certain corners, or parts of the straight wet when Im driving my cars around on the track.

22. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    How could you build an underground garage with access to the road in a way that you could hide it? A garage door that blends in with the house with a short hill down/up to the garage?
    How much square footage would be the rule of thumb for each car, with an "alley" so you can back up and drive in with ease to exit/enter the garage?
    Personally, I would want a automated car wash system too. :)

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    You could do it Batman style and have a tunnel underground with a gradual slope. If you want to add the waterfall part, go ahead. :)

Btw, that part that I said about no property tax for subterranean space we discussed in that military silo thread. Something like 1 million sq ft below ground with a couple hundred bucks of property tax a year because very little space was on the surface.

I think a 6,000 sq ft house would be more than enough for me and guests. I'd have probably 6,000 sq ft more, though, below ground for garage. Maybe some more for an airplane hanger and basketball court below ground, too. Add in 700+ acres of land and a private race track and airplane runway, I'm good to go. :) Gotta have a private lake, too. ;)

24. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Awhile a go there was a house posted that had a 30 car basement garage and a regular gound level garage.

Access to the 30 unit was through a door in the back of the house that opened onto a hillside; there was a 'lazy susan' in the basement for shufflng the cars around.

25. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    o, they are... dunnno about the tax issue, my dad has built a-many basements around texas, its a lot cooler underground ya hear