Tom Hartley is...=== | FerrariChat

Tom Hartley is...===

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Apr 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    ... asking a scarcely believable £169,950 for one of the first RHD F1 430s, according to Autocar. They also highlight 360 used values and predict they 'll come in further as more 430s arrive;
    360 M F1 LHD 99 V 30k= £57k
    360 M F1 RHD 99 V 15k= £66k

360 Spider LHD 01 Y 6k= £78k
    360 Spider RHD 01 Y 30k= £82k

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    well what do you expect when you buy a common run of the mill ferrari with 8 cylinders too many 360 made to keep the prices up dont think the CS will take a hit though like the 360 as they are pretty rare compaired to the ordinary 360

3. Musicman

Musicman Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    some mug will pay that price just to have the latest car. and people like hartley will continue to prosper as long as these fools are around. question i'd like answered is how does he get the car in the first place? if it's a uk supplied car then ferrari should stand behind their own small print and find out who the original purchaser was and have him removed from being able to order a new car in future. some of the first 430's will go to enthusiasts for sure, but it looks like a fair number will be immediately traded on to the likes of hartley for a big wedge.

360 prices shouldn't be that affected short term due to restricted supply of the 430 - that is unless the likes of autocar can create gloom and doom around 360 prices and start a downward spiral that's hard to stop.

360 owners hold firm!!

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Not a big fan of the Hartley empire myself. I was treated very shabbily when trying to buy one of their cars and a friend with 993 T4 threatened legal action following buying a truly shocking example.

5. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    I have to say, everytime I deal with Tom Hartley, I'm unimpressed.

Bought a used car from them once, and they were less than satisfying - I drove 180 miles to pick a car I had left a deposit on and they saw it as an opportunity for some final negotiation.

They were also very mean to one of my boys who was 4 at the time - he got balled out by Tom Hartley Jr for 'standing too close' to the Zonda in the showroon. Made the poor chap cry. If my wife didn't really want the car (hers) then I would have walked.

I think all the prodigy/protege press they try to garner is really funny - just an excuse for some kids who were badly educated and now have to sell cars for the rest of their lives. Millionaires at age 12 - yeah right!

Steer clear IMHO.

LWR

6. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was told ROMANS have another RHD car also !

At almost 170k the Hartley car must be a very good spec with the carbon brakes and all other goodies

7. tomkranz

tomkranz Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Whether my other half wanted the car or not, if someone behaved that way to my kids in a showroom, not only would I have walked, but I would have had some choice words for them, too.

It's a showroom - the cars are there to be touched, looked at, and played with. You're there to buy a car, so are obviously not a timewaster.

Anyone who behaves that way to a small child deserves a good smacking.

Cheers,
    TOM

8. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    I agree - I would have walked, but they had my money by the time the shouting incident happened... left a very nasty taste in my mouth.

9. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    Balling out at a 4 year old?
    You should have punched him in the face.

10. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    I think a well placed but not obvious scratch on his precious Zonda would have been a suitable response if he had done that to my kid.

11. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Its a relief to see that this guy is a bandit too!

You see all his self generated press, and he comes across as some sort of legend. He does present the cars well and the surroundings look sweet, but you do wonder if he is as good as he would have us believe or if he's a Arthur Daley.

I agree with the comment above - cant Ferrari find out who bought the RHD car origianlly and make sure they dont get early options on the next car? I'm all for conncted poeple/previous customers getting the cars before the man on the street, but not if it means some slug of a dealer is going to make a good few grand on the side or stop the car getting to a genuine enthusiast.

12. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

agree as long as ferrari let this happen the longer it will go on

13. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    You are too soft, both of you! LWR550 should have at least burned the showroom down, then traced the whole Hartley family to their home addresses and tortured them slowly before murdering them and placing their severed heads on the site of the former showroom as a reminder to all not to mess with him!

Are you SERIOUSLY advocating that an assault or criminal damage should have ensued? Because if you are, you need help, and more importantly, society needs protecting from people with your attitudes!

The assault that Nickster would have dealt out would surely have resulted in a criminal conviction, and Geoff's criminal damage probably the same!Is it really worth it?
    Agreed, Hartley Jr didn't handle the situation as well as maybe he could, but to resort to violence in such a situation is plain stupid! I suspect the reason LWR550 didn't react with violence is that in spite of the little fella being upset, LWR knew he was responsible for the child's actions, and should have had him firmly at his side!

Or am I over-reacting to the usual bluff and bluster often found on this forum?If your comments were supposed to be humorous, then MAKE IT OBVIOUS, either use smilies or over-the-top phrases to ensure readers see your comments as an attempt at humour!

This site is open to all, KIDS INCLUDED, and for grown men to state that they would act in such a manner gives a very poor impression to younger readers!

14. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon

I would imagine Ferraris only interest is in filling their order books. Long standing customers will get preference but Ferrari aren't going to turn away customers cos they made a few quid on their last car. Waiting list are getting short with each new model so perhaps the number of sharks and middle men offering way over list will reduce aswell.

15. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yep, you're over reacting. Chill pill required!

16. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Rightly or wrongly Ferrari have always had their 'special customers'. I would surmise that there are a few names that always jump to the head of the waiting list just because of there financial muscle. If one of these guys sells their car on for a quick buck Ferrari aren't going to complain to loudly or drag them through the courts?

Would you do that to one of your best customers?

It's not fair...but thats life.

17. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I read that article about Tom Hartley Jr being a self-made-millionaire at 12 or something daft. I just laughed and laughed.

They sounded like a bunch of cocks in the article and from the above posts it seems they actually are.

I won't be buying from them ever!

(their site is quite nice though.... hehe!)

18. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I reckon yes ;) Lighten up, Francis :D

19. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

should have just took the story to the press

20. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    as well as his service his jam has gone right down hill too, i much prefer sainsburys own now

21. OmegaSteve

OmegaSteve Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2004
    Hertfordshire
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Does a good line in Rabbits as well....or was it hares, can't remember now

22. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Yes i agree Tom should not have shouted at the little boy What he should have done was put up a bloo-y big sign saying NO KIDS ALLOWED IN THE SHOWROOM I would not want kids around my £100 grand cars IF i had a showroom

RAY360M

23. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    This has attracted a lot of interest.

Let's be clear... my son was just walking around looking while I finalised the details of the purchase. He wasn't standing close and he certainly wasn't touching or peering in...

24. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    #24 Anthony_Ferrari, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think it was Hares. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    No,I'd punch him in the face.

If anybody thinks its appropriate to throw their weight around and make a four year old cry,well thats their call.

From LWR's later post,the little fella wasnt doing anything wrong.

Thats not assualt,that an honest punch on the nose of a bullying w@nker.

If thats assualt,battery,attempted murder or anything else in the eyes of modern society / guardian readers / political correctness - well it isnt in mine.