TODAY! Maserati MMXX virtual reveal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TODAY! Maserati MMXX virtual reveal

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I wasn't too impressed with the initial photos, but I think it looks pretty good after watching that video.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  2. Thelovelyrock18

Thelovelyrock18 Karting

Feb 15, 2016
    #28 Thelovelyrock18, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    The steering Wheel looks like is borrowed from Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and they put Maserati logo on it. :D I heard people were saying this is supposed to be Alfa Romeo 8C, cuz the interior design just makes me think in this way. Like the drive mode select knob and suspension soft press-button in middle pretty much the same from Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and also MC20 couldn't open the front bonnet and have cargo space at the back of bonnet, that's same design as 4C :rolleyes:

I mean this MC20 wasn't part of Maserati's five years plan back in 2018 and not even in their new model schedule. I guess FCA changed their plan after Sergio Marchionne passed away in 2018. If he still alive this will be Alfa Romeo 8C instead of Maserati MC20 o_O

500tr likes this.
  3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Very nice but it should have been a Dino badge car IMO

500tr likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #30 TheMayor, Sep 9, 2020
    My guess is --- sort of.

They mentioned "100% built in Modena" like 20 times. That means the engine is made at the Maserati plant, not at Maranello. But there may be some shared engineering.

Still it seems weird they would set up a V6 plant in Modena and another down the road at Maranello. And if you told Ferrari people their V6 motor was built in the Maserati plant, I think this would be a big negative.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #31 TheMayor, Sep 9, 2020
    Honestly, should have started at $125K. I don't think they intend to sell too many of these. Starting at $225K you're not that much farther from Ferrari territory and you are there in the used market. And you get 2 fewer cylinders.

I don't think it stands out enough. Its nice. Its attractive. I'm sure it goes like hell. But spending $250+ on a Maserati? If you already have a Ferrari -- sure. The F8 blows it away styling wise. This car needs a little more in-your -face styling. Aside from the front if you told me this was the "new Lotus" I would completely believe it.

I'm not sure how many would want to take McLaren like depreciation in the first year.

Also they made a mistake showing some of the classic Masers in their lead up video. The Bora and the Ghibli just look more interesting and exciting compared to this.

pearsonhaus and boxerman like this.
  6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Mid-Engine Maser: Understandable but is it really needed?

OK I get it, Maserati saw all these Ferraris rolling out the door next door with flip-up doors, rear windows where you can see the engine and pricetags way up there and thought, hey, we can do that.
    So now we have the MC20.
    But I think they had something going themselves as the luxury Italian brand that could make cars that Ferrari doesn't. Four seater coupes that can cruise at 150 mph for instance. And an off road capable vehicle. Ferrari doesn't do those for fear of weakening its macho image.
    But Maserati can sell luxury and performance.
    And i really think a lot of people buying mid-engined cars don't realize how little "grand touring" such designs offer with no room for a single full size suitcase. Ford was one of the worst when they did the '05-'06 Ford GT that you could barely fit in a briefcase let alone two bags for a weekend.
    So all right, Maserati, we understand. You wanted a mid-engine, with flip up doors and side profile within millimeters of many Ferraris and Lambos. You got it. But now will you puleeze go back to designing a car that a businessman can drive to the office and take to business meetings without looking like he's trying to be a boy racer?

71Satisfaction and TheMayor like this.
  7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm not sure where some people got the idea this would be a cheap car. A new Maserati has never been a value proposition. When is the last time a new Maserati was cheap in price?

I was expecting to be a bit blown away by this car but I'm not. I was thinking I'll wait for a year after they come out then sell my 4C and "trade up". So far I think I'd rather keep my 4C and buy something else instead. 200k+ is Lambo and Ferrari territory as others have said. 150-180k would have been competitive.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    WHY?

Because Ferrari owns the top end and Alfa (what's left of it) has the low end. Maserati would be much better off going up against Porsche than Ferrari.

The meat of the luxury market today is between 100K and 130K. Above that sales drop dramatically.

I really believe they don't intend to sell many of these at all. Its a PR stunt to launch the rest of the brand, which is going mainly electric.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have said many, many times that Ferrari should be making limited production sports cars and has turned too much into the daily driver GT brand -- which is where MASERATI should be.

Maserati should be making mass production sports GTs (aka Italian BMW's and Merc) and Ferrari should be making 2 seat sports cars (aka McLaren and Pagani) with the occasional 2+2. And they should be making more hyper limited cars that blow people's minds and sell for $2M.

Right now the two brands walk over one another -- and Maserati is the loser for it. But at the same time, people wonder just what Ferrari means anymore as it starts to make 10,000 cars a year. Is it really "exclusive"?

71Satisfaction likes this.
  10. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    MM20 is the car you are describing for the businessman who prefers a mid-engine configuration.
    Exactly as the Bora was in its time.
    Boy racers will never understand this car---they will happily continue buying their F8 Tributos.

BTW---Forget Ferrari when talking Maserati now. FCA does NOT own Ferrari any more!
    Today's Maserati is a DIRECT competitor to Ferrari--- albeit with SUVs etc in its portfolio---like Lamborghini, Bentley et al.
    Nothing more nothing less. Period.

11. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    You guys have mostly said what I also think;
    - Maserati is about sophistication and luxury with performance. This is where Maserati should stay focussed.
    - Overall this MC20 is a restrained design, more subtle than most others and doesn't use the 'Boy Racer' styling cues of their Maranello friends. I am much happier with this than previous renderings.
    - At $210,000 Maserati won't sell a huge number, but there are customers who absolutely will buy it. Let's hope customers and the press like it a lot.
    - What a shame Maserati didn't elect to pursue the Alfieri - a design that is far more sophisticated and identifiable as the Maserati brand. Perhaps we can hope for it in the future.

Cheers,
    - Art

staatsof, Merak1974 and Nembo1777 like this.
  12. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I think this is a model that Maserati definitely should have in its portfolio, alongside GTs and executive cars.

I am extremely happy to see that they have developed a car with a good mix of innovation, performance, and elegance, which is very much in tune with the brand's values and history.

Of course there are traces of Alfa Romeo in it. Given their common ownership and collaboration between the brands, it seems absurd to expect no spillovers whatsoever. Still, the final product is unmistakably a Maserati.

I hope it sells well, and see no reason why it should not. It is also important that Maserati keeps its racing promise, and presents a racing version soon.

boralogist and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Mayor, I am pretty sure the motors are made at the same place as the Ferrari motors. I don't think Mas has its own foundry etc.
    The price with options appears to be $200. What new car does this compete with at that price point? Porsche GT3. Which would you rather have?
    Would you rather have a used 5-6 year old 458 or this? Huracan or this (not a perf as those are more $$). Overall, I think this will be a success.
    Its very interesting that everyone has gone CF chassis in this price range, except Ferrari. Big mistake.

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I feel the MC 20 is Maserati's R8 But Maserati will never be able to compete with the Germans

500tr likes this.
  15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    If Ferrari can somehow manage to do so why is the MC20 destined to fail?
    Why would Ferrari owners even take the time to care?

Let's wait and see!

16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I didn't ask why, I simple asked when was the last time Maserati was a value proposition. Maserati would be much better off going against Porsche but instead they're priced above them in the more competitive realm with McLaren, Lamborghini and Ferrari.

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Only time will tell

18. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    jkddad likes this.
  19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  20. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is giving its Maserati brand a huge investment which will result in no fewer than 13 new models by the end of 2024. The first to arrive is the MC20 supercar, which will be followed by the Grecale SUV next year. During the presentation of the MC20, Maserati has also hinted at another important new offering for next year.

The silhouette you see here is the shape of the next-generation GranTurismo. The Italian automaker hasn’t revealed much about the posh grand tourer but at least we know it’ll arrive at some point next year.

wbaeumer likes this.
  21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I still cant believe they axed the Alfieri.

F1tommy, staatsof, wbaeumer and 2 others like this.
  22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    wow...underwhelming is an understatement...

and to add insult to injury, I have to stare at decade-old side mirrors from a 458?

23. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    #49 boralogist, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    wbaeumer and F2003-GA like this.
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When that first hit the auto shows I called the dealer asking about it. They knew nothing about it.

I figured then -- it was going no where. They didn't even alert the dealers on a new product shown at an auto show.