F8 - Tires that came with your Tributo or Spider | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F8 Tires that came with your Tributo or Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gzachary, Jan 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed it does not make sense - but I've been told that in addition, the dealers have to buy (and overpay) the tyres they replace from Ferrari and should not buy direct from the manufacturers, nor from other tyres suppliers (which would probably still be less expensive for them). In the end the Ferrari dealers charge more for the tyres than the manufacturer recommended prices (which is ridiculous) whereas the very same tyres can be had from virtually any tyres shop for less than the recommended prices.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I know for a fact that the dealers are not obligated to buy tyres from Ferrari. If it is something your dealer has told you, I suspect it is mostly a question of providing some kind of explanation that make it seem all a bit more sensible. Also, if you go in and just ask to have your tyres changed, e.g buy a set of Cup 2 for your F8 and have the dealer put them on, you don't pay anywhere close to what the price is for the high performance tyre upgrade. I think it has that extreme price simply because it's in the price list and thus when it sits there with all the rest of it, it makes it all that much more easy to swallow - and it's simply a price Ferrari has chosen.
    My dealer get their tyres from the national distributor of these brands whom is usually just the manufacture itself. They don't pay more than anyone else getting tyres and they don't get them from Maranello. While my dealer do charge a bit more for tyres, it's not really more than any other car dealer would charge(Car dealerships are never cheap when it comes to tyres, not even the econo car brands). What makes the difference is the labour. When my local race shop do the change, I pay what amount's to about 80 Euro all in all for the change. I order the tyres and have them shipped to the race shop so no need to fuzz about with the tyres. My dealer charges a totally different hourly rate for this, but the tyres themselves would not really be more expensive compared to what the local Audi, Opel, Mercedes or what ever would charge. The High Performance Tyre option, is just a way to properly overcharge for the Cup 2, and sadly most who buy them aren't even informed about the fact that they won't offer more performance unless you track.

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

Attached Files:

wthensler, Cigarzman and GT2goneF like this.
  4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #54 GT2goneF, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    I thought they were one or the other. At least, that was the impression I got from my dealership. A "your choice" kinda thing. I guess it turned out as a "your choice that you pay for" kinda thing.

Now, I am curious of how much they overcharged me for my tires.

5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Thanks @Dicecal . I know I can always count of you to give me truth, no matter the pain...

Oh man.. WTF!!!! (for those not familiar with the abbreviation. It means: "Where's the fire"!!!!!) That one hurt because I get those suckers for less than half that! SOB!!! (Means "short of breath")

6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You can get a copy of your build sheet from the dealership, it will list every option code there.

7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I've been waiting for that copy for about a month. I requested it the same day I took delivery as they were charging me for things they didn't do and my options plate is wrong.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Call Ferrari customer service. I think they can get it for you. A month? Takes 2 minutes to print...
    Sounds a bit like they are trying to pull a fast one.
    What have they charged you for that you did not get?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Bit of dealer guidance would have been nice, as its clearly not the best route, particularly if you're changing wheels.

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Dealership advised against changing/up sizing wheels, stating it would void warranty for steering and suspension.

I agree. But I can swear that they told me that the tires were interchangeable option and I even have that documented on my preliminary price list.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am trying to go through proper channels. I don't want to get my dealership in trouble. In the event they tell me to contact my dealership for it; which at that given point I would have to tell them that I have and been waiting for a month. The dealership just changed ownership and starting up with a little ruffling of feathers with new owner may prove to be a bad start for the staff.

I had requested to pain the mirrors Nero to match the roof and the inserts. Luckily, they didn't do it (as I had realized it would have been a mistake). However, they charged me for it. So now, I am curious with regards to the additional 77$ k "other options" listed on my window sticker.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jm2 likes this.
  12. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Yes, absolutely. Even if you went with a set of Ferrari wheels though.

I have my eye on a set of satin gold Pista wheels....

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Voiding warranty for changing tyre size? Good luck making that stick. Ask for that in writing from Maranello. Won't happen. Now you know why I rarely ask permission to do what I do. Too many instances of ******** answers.

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Oh no worry... I am doing it anyway.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  15. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Wow your kidding. The Michelin PS2’s I have on my 458 cost about 1200K installed. I bought them on tire rack and had a local shop install

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    PS2 is not Cup 2. They are the predecessor to the MPSS, so two generations back. I think Michelin debuted them around 2003. Judging by the price, you might want to check the production date on your tyres. The PS2 has for the most part been discontinued for almost a decade.

The Cup 2 for a 488 is about 2000 usd from the rack, and are not available in the 458 OE size.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    co pilot you may be correct. The car is not that old. I will check them I have actually not had the car for two months. Been at the dealer getting a cracked in the rear air dam fixed and a sensor fixed. The dealer is incompetent. Finally getting the car back tomorrow am and will check and post

18. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Actually Michelin PS Sport 4S

19. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Not sure where we got to on this, but my fresh delivered F8 came with MPSS ex-factory.

I really thought it would come with Pirelli's, but noticed what looked like checkered flag graphics on the side wall in a pic from the dealer.

Sure enough, the workshop just confirmed.

20. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mine did too. But I ordered it that way.

GT2goneF likes this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Me too

22. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    You guys ordered performance tyres, so have Cup 2's though, right?

My car has regular MPSS.

23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    No, I did not get Cup 2. For those you have to pay. They usually don't tell you and most people besides not knowing they have an option, they don't ask either. They have Pirellis and Michelin. For the Cup 2, you have to pay. I believe the interchangeable option for Pirellis is the Michelin Super Sport. i would have to check to confirm. What I know for a fact is that they are not PSC2

xBox likes this.
  24. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    MPSS.

xBox likes this.
  25. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Dealer asked if I was happy to have MPSS, to which I responded definitely yes. Should just be a tiny bit more predictable in the cold/damp, when they have less heat in them......... a scenario they will become very accustomed to!!