TIRES FOR 575M | FerrariChat

TIRES FOR 575M

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by johngtc, Aug 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I have searched the forum for advice on replacement 18 inch tyres (tires?) for my 575 but the latest seems to have been posted several years ago. I assume that performance has increased over that time.

What are people opting for nowadays? I have heard good things about Michelins but as far as I can see these are not available inthe latest spec in the correct size - at least on this side of the pond. I currently have Bridgestone Polenzas and these seem perfectly OK but is it time for an upgrade?

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    My advice would to look at the crop of 200 tread wear rated tires used in competition. This batch is being used in auto-x and street tire classes. They are amazingly sticky for street tires and do OK in the rain. I was a fan of the harder conti DW's extreme contacts. They are a darn good streeet tire but the new 200's are a cut above. SpecCorvette class is growing in the US and runs the Faulkin 615K+ tire. if they make those in your sizes consider them. The SpecCorvette guys are loving them for their price and competitiveness. I got a fresh set of the faulkins for my vette racecar to run in specCorvette and they were only 900 bucks 1/2 the cost of my hoosier race tire I must run in SCCA!

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    John, there have been some good threads here about tyres particularly P Zero v Michelin Pilot SS and PS4. There is a general view that PS4s are great. I swapped from P Zero to Michelins on my 575 last year. Michelins better all round, I thought P Zeros had a bit more precision in the steering.

judgejohn likes this.
  4. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    MPSS. You will not be disappointed. Put on a set this year in 18"

5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Been running conti DW's extreme contacts...love em !
    Oh also great in the rain :)

6. Toddrab13

Toddrab13 Karting

Jul 10, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Just put Pilot Super Sports on my 550 and love them. PS4's are supposed to be great but may be difficult to locate as they are in high demand right now.

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Another vote for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. That said...sometimes I find them too good. I like to break the rear end loose when having some fun and the modern tires make it a little tougher to do.

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Michelin PS4 on a 456M. The right balance of sidewall flex for stability under side loads while maintaining a decent ride. Very well balanced between grip and side load. Maintains a great consistent footprint without having to add camber.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The PS4 is the replacement for the MPSS.

10. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Took a while for 18" sizes to become available. I do think they are a nice evolutionary progression. Have you tried them yet, Taz?

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Not yet. My MPSS tires still have a ways to go (2014 date code).

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When I bought the 456, it had Michelin Pilot All Seasons on the 17" OEM wheels. The wheels have curb rash and need a restoration. I found a set of HRE 547R in chrome and 18". So when the PS4s finally came available in the 18" sizes, that's what I got. My E36 M3 has always preferred her PS2s as has the Cayman. I think the PS4s are another incremental along the family developmental progression. MPSS a bit better than the PS2, PS4 a bit better again. Not much, pretty much the same balance of characteristics.

13. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Many thanks for all the advice. It's now time to check out availability!

John

14. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    it really depends what you looking to get out of the tires.

best all around, good for rain, quiet, long lasting, PS4 and the new Conti Sport

best performance street tire, RE71R (no, MPSS and PS4 are NOT even close), BF Goodrich Rival 1.5 is a close 2nd. what Fatbilllybob said, Falken 615k+ is also excellent, but I don't see Ferrari people even heard of Falken.

best track performance (but still barely streetable), Goodyear 3R, Michelin SC2 is a close 2nd.

on all my performance cars that I only drive in good weather, I run RE71R. for family cars, I run PS4 or the Conti Sport (it rides a little better than PS4/MPSS).

15. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I run Yokohama’s on the 550. By Far superior in every way to any other tire that I have used and I am a heavy user of the ASR LOL!!!

They are the best and longest lasting dance partner for those who like to boogey!

Edit: I run the Michelin pilots on the 355. Very happy with those. I tried some other type 2 years ago, even forgot the name. Tore them off. Bad tires are like bad marriages.

Redheaded Ed likes this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The MPSS and PS4s have won all the comparison tests I have seen.

17. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    PS4 and MPSS have won all test for cars that require all around performance. But if you are looking for dry performance or track performance for a sport car. It isn’t even in the same zip code as RE71R, Rival S, SC2, 3R.

RE71R will transform your driving experience. con is short tire life, but most Ferrari don’t do enough miles for it to matter

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I doubt it. At least not on a Maranello.

19. Tim Riley

Tim Riley Rookie

Nov 3, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    T. R.
    Johngtc,

What did you end up purchasing? Are you happy?

I am struggling between the Michelins (reading older posts), but see the new Yokohama A052 have very nice write ups (granted on non Ferrari's). They have them in the 18" for the 575m. Anyone with opinion or experience please feel free to chime in. Mine currently has old Bridgestone needing replaced due to date code (I recently purchased my 575m). Thanks.

20. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    #20 bellwilliam, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    A052 is king of super 200tw tire, PS4 is king of family car tire. They should NOT be compared. PS4 dry drip is NOT close to A052, not even close. but PS4 will last x3-x5 longer and be good for a cruiser. A052 is for a sports car, grippy, loud and short treadlife.

I wanna share this as many Ferrari owners aren't updated with tire info. 99% of fchat thread recommends Michelin PS4. It is a great all around tire, perfect for a family car. It does not fit what how most Ferrari owners do with their Ferrari (do not apply if you take your FF to ski trips):

Most are weekend driven. 1,000-3,000 miles per year seem to be the average. Tires are usually replaced because of age, NOT tread wear.

Most are not driven in snow and HEAVY rain. Note while PS4 is probably better than the tires listed below in heavy rain, it is still nowhere close in light rain.

Most Ferrari rides hard, tire ride quality are rarely an issue.

ome of you might believe PS4 is a performance street tire, in reality, it is probably a 4th tier performance tires, pretty far down the list. Here is a current list of high performance 200TW street tires. All of them will outperform PS4 in cornering, braking, light rain. But louder, rides harsher and shorter treadlife (between 5,000-10,000 miles).

1. Yokohama A52 - current king of street tire. But very limited in sizes (up to 18"). This will also out-perform most 100tw r-comp tires (exception of SC2R and 3R)
    2. Bridgestone RE71R and Goodrich Rival S. (also more grip than most 100tw r-comp tire)
    3. Hankook RS4, Dunlop Direza ZIII, Falken 615K+, Nexen Sur4G+, Yokohama AD08, and few others.
    4. Michelin PS4, Conti Sport
    5. Firestone Indy 500, Comp2 - low performance, but cheap.....based on 10 years old technology.

There are some other tier 1 performance tire, but really are more of a track tire that's streetable. Goodyear 3R, Michelin SC2 (There are different compounds with SC2, some are slow, some are fast), new SC2-R, that's way way sticky, Hoosier like, but currenlty available in 2 sizes only. Then there are "slow" 100tw r-comp like R888R, NT01, RC1, etc...But I wouldn't drive in the rain in any of these.

yes, I've driven all of them, except for SC2-R......

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would still go with the Michelin PS4s. I have MPSS on mine and will replace them with PS4s when they time out.

22. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    Taz: you gotta explain to me why you want a much lower grip tire on a Ferrari?
    as you said, your MPSS gonna "time out", not "wear out".... treadlife clearly isn't an issue.

23. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    still using .... Continental extreme contacts DW's very happy :) Drive 8k to 10k per year !

Steen Jensen likes this.
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bell- Because mine is a daily driver and I want the best all around tire that has good wet and dry cornering and braking performance and will time out before wearing out. Plus I do not like Bridgestone, Yokohama, Hankook etc, tires. I do like Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, and Goodyear tires.

NE550 and wbklink like this.
  25. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #25 NE550, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Not everybody who owns a Ferrari necessarily wants or needs the ultimate in dry traction for normal street or highway driving. Or the harsher ride, poor wet traction and more rapid tire wear characteristics that generally come with 200 (or lower) wear-rated "DOT competition" tires like the A052 (or P Zero Trofeo, Sport Cup 2, G Force R1, R888, etc...). If I really want/need ultimate dry grip I'll buy an extra set of wheels/tires for that purpose and swap them when the need arises. Otherwise for normal all-around street/highway driving PS4s and the like are just fine, great in fact.

308 GTB and tifoso2728 like this.