Timing Chain | FerrariChat

Timing Chain

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Drewbdo, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I don't have a Mondial, but it is on my goal list, so I've been following this forum for a bit. I keep seeing the timing belt as an issue with these cars. If they aren't changed before selling, it reduces the resale value. They "wear out" with age if not from driving, etc

I'm just curious if anyone ever looked at replacing the belt with a timing chain.

Generally, timing chains are longer lasting. Is there anyone out there who can / does manufacture a timing chain and gear system to replace the belt / pulley system?

If not, is there some reason why not (other than "one doesn't fix the Mona Lisa's smile... nor does one improve Enzo's engine...". :D

Is that a mechanical possibility?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Not at reasonable cost. You could always buy a 400/400i ;) (Seriously, if you read the 400/400i section, you'll see that long timing chains have their own set of issues, and are not much different in terms of overall cost/hassle over the long term.)

This thread has some prior discussion (and even pictures):

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/from-belts-to-chain-conversion.185300/page-2

As snj5 said: "Every 308/328 owner's ultimate fantasy":

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you do a search using "timing chain" in the 308 section, you'll get the other prior discussions.

Drewbdo likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Probably not as the cam belt sits behind covers- timing chains are generally fitted inside the engine casing and get their oil lubrication from the engine system.

afterburner, sixcarbs and Drewbdo like this.
  4. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Ah, ok. Thank you for the clarification re: automotive engineering (and the photo / link to the 308 section). I didn't think about the lubrication needs of a chain vs a belt.

Before retiring, my dad was an ASE Master mechanic, millwright, and gearhead. We never had an exotic marque, but he was always tinkering, modifying, and rebuilding. Growing up, I helped him completely rebuild several American engines. That's one of the things I like about the Mondial... it's a car from a simpler time, and basic wrenching can be done by the owner. :)

I figured the timing chain must not have been a legitimate option... if it was, surely in 30 years, a smart cookie with an entrepreneurial mind would have already made it available! :D lol

5. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    I understand Ferrari originally moved to belts for engine performance (less rotational mass). They eventually returned to chains with the F430. Forgive me for getting sidetracked here, and I know this subject has been thrashed, but lets assume an engine-out service costs about 15k. If this is done every 5 years, then 20 years of ownership will cost $60k on preventative maintenance - quite a bit more than an engine rebuild, or the cost of an great Mondial. This tells me that 5 years does not make sense for a preventative engine-out.

Drewbdo likes this.
  6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Mondial and 308 engine do not need to come out for belt service. Only Mondial T

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    bad assumption. It should not cost that much every five years with an engine out.

8. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Use the timing belt issue to get a better price on your future ferrari but understand that it's not a big deal, doesn't cost that much to do and they dont break as often as people would lead you to believe. Some of the best engines ever made use a timing belt. Hell, if you have any mechanical ability it's not that hard to do it yourself and it will put you in a position to really see whats going on with the engine.

Drewbdo and sixcarbs like this.
  9. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I do basic maintenance on our daily drivers... oil changes, ATF changes, etc. Used to do tire rotations and more, when we had the previous house. The garage was spacious. That driveway would not handle an exotic though. Too steep of an incline, with a serious bump coming up from the street. Even coming in at an angle, the nose or tail would be scraping without at least "normal" ground clearance.

The current house has a nice long, flat-ish driveway, but little garage space. :rolleyes: Has VERY low ceilings, narrow garage doors, and a support post in the middle.

Thinking about building either a separate garage building, or extending the house by adding a 2-3 car garage off the end of the house. Would love to also install a lift of some kind. Definitely would make it easier to DIY wrench. :)

Years ago, a client had a 365 and built a "toy barn" for it with an pit in the floor to make it easier to change his own oil, etc.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If there's a will (i.e. $$$$$) there's a way. :)

Drewbdo likes this.
  11. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I shall gladly volunteer myself to become part of a will, where my cut is $$$$$. :D:D lol

Add a few of those wills together, and I'll buy a stable full of Mondials. ;)

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    There was a member here over in the 308 section who did exactly this on his 308. Changed it from a belt to a chain his name was Ed Gault and I believe he was a mechanic.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    He ran out of here a long time ago. I thought he was a nice man, knowledgeable too. But in the end, he was not a Ferrari fan.

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Yes I’m going way back.