Timing chain adjustment | FerrariChat

Timing chain adjustment

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by miami355, Nov 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Does anyone have a link to instructions on timing chain adjustment? I am getting some noise when engine is cold, and I'd like to see if there is any adjustment left. I am almost thinking just to change it as a preventative measure. Can this be done with engine in? Any estimates on costs?

David

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    There are many existing threads about adjustment/replacement of the timing chain, click the search button, click "more", type in "chain", select our group in the forum list....10 pages of threads all about the process, engine in/out, type/manufacture of chain, how to adjust, etc.
    Sorry, not trying to be a smart***, but the subject has been completely covered in previous threads.

Gary

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    To answer the question: yes replacing the chain can be done with engine in. As for tension, assuming yours is a 400i, as a starting point read the owner manual page 71 (hosted on the Ferrari 400 register website). The detailed procedure is further specified in the workshop manual page B40 & B41 (hard to find online).

So read the manuals then search the forum.

If you do not have the workshop manual just drop me a private message (but be patient...).

4. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I hate to be that guy, and I did search and find procedure, the gist of it being better a little too loose, then a little too tight. Was mostly looking for the actual location of the adjuster. I didn't see the adjuster after taking a quick look, or a see a diagram. No worries, I'll keep searching.

5. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
  6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    How much of the adjusting screw can you see? Is there an inch, 1/2 inch or nothing? If you have some adjustment available then try 1/2 turn to one turn and see how it sounds. Some of the literature talks about tightening it down while the engine is running until it gets noisy then back it off a little, I have to wonder if this might be too much.

7. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello,

Please have a look at:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/archive-f400-club-forum-timing-chain-tension-adjuster.584311/

Please be cautious about instructions on page B41 of the english WSM about timing chain tension adjustment, these instructions have been incorrectly translated from Italian.

With engine running at idle, the correct procedure (correctly translated from Italian) is to tighten the adjusting screw until the chain stops being noisy, then back-off a quarter of a turn, then tighten the lock nut.

Attila400 likes this.
  8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for the clarification.