355 - Time for the dreaded Valve guide replacement but where to buy them? | FerrariChat

355 Time for the dreaded Valve guide replacement but where to buy them?

Discussion in '348/355' started by treedee3d, Mar 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I figured I was one of the lucky ones but unfortunately the valve guides are just worn and the engine is out for a major so might as well get it over with and do the now.

So this topic has been discussed over and over and debated time and again over steel vs bronze vs brass bla bla bla...

But my question is this:

Where to buy them?

I will be ordering my service kit from Ricambi and assumed he would have these but did not see them anywhere on the site. I haven’t called yet but I guess he does not sell them.

Contacted other well-known Ferrari part suppliers and, surprisingly, they don’t sell many of these nor keep them in stock.

So, to all of you who have done this job already, where did you buy them?

2. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Mine came from GT car parts in AZ.

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Has it been long? Their site only lists wipers as available part for the 355...

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Speak to Dan at Ricambi he will be able to sort you out. Use the factory 360 valve guides that are sintered steel. That’s what I went for.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    ShineKen and johnk... like this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That was meant as humor. :) Same deal for me. The tech recommended manganese bronze. Also a lot less expensive than Ferrari sintered steel.

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

You have to call them and yes it's been about 6 years since I had my head's done.

9. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    As far as the debate goes, I’m leaning towards the bronze. Been reading the discussions for years and it appears bronze is good and that Ferrari just happened to use a really bad quality of bronze in their early batches. My shop also recommends the bronze.

Had a test done and the results were good (5% everywhere, 1 at 8%, 1 at 10%) except for #2 which is at 58%. They are actually still performing well but they noticed they were very worn and figured now would be a good time to do them. (car has 27,000 miles)

10. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Send your heads off to a machinist and let them decide what to use. They'll have options.

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just curious what did ferrari use in the late model f355 ..which i understand do not have problems

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

13. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Anyone hear of SI Valves in California? They have the manganese bronze in stock

14. wilhit10

wilhit10 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    My machine shop has my heads and super tech guides. I told them if there are any issues at all to not use them. I figured technology has changed a lot in the last 25 years, and their material is not bleeding edge. Then again this could be a costly mistake. They are also 11.00 a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Spoke to a gentleman at a shop called Loutham Competition and he said the valves from SI are what he uses so I am going with that...

16. Ahchard

Ahchard Karting

Feb 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Lau
    How do you know when they need to be replaced? I am replacing my belt which is an engine out so wondering if valve guides need replacing.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

17. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Compression test revealed one cylinder was at 58%. Upon further investigation, the shop said the guides were still good but showed considerable wear and the engine-out was a good opportunity to do them.

Yassa likes this.