Thoughts on a used Sea Doo versus a used Waverunner | FerrariChat

Thoughts on a used Sea Doo versus a used Waverunner

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by MVDESQ, Jul 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I am considering buying a 2006-2009 PWC to use once in a while in salt water (Long Island Sound). I understand the Sea Doo has a radiator system while the Yamaha has a total loss cooling system. It is very hard to find a used one in the CT/Westchester area. Any thoughts on hours and how the Rotax 4-Tec 130 hp engine compares (reliability wise) with a Yamaha 4 stroke of similar power output. Let me know your thoughts.

2. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Both are very reliable, what I like over the Yamaha is the Sea-Doo with its closed loop cooling as you stated. Nothing worse than sea water lingering/trapped in the nooks and crannies. You will never get 100% of the sea water out no mater what you do when you bring them home after a day at the beach. Not even thinking of the electrolysis happening while you're puttin around.

3. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

As a kid I had a 1994 Polaris SL750 and a 1996 Wave Raider 760 and I always flushed them with fresh water when I got back. They lived on a dock above Florida salt water 24 hours a day. I also used to spay the engines down with Boeing or Yamaha anti corrosion spray. I always flushed the pumps out with fresh water too.

I'm more concerned about the internals of the 4 strokes as I live 5 miles from the Sound and I will flush it out and rinse it well.

4. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Take it to a dealer for inspection. I tend to stick to newer stuff. 10 year old PWC is a little too old. If something breaks, it would be a nice down payment on a newer one.

5. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    What exactly are the goals with the pwc?

If you're strictly just looking to have fun, I would recommend a new spark. This time of the year, you can find good deals on an already cheap ski.

They start around 5k new

6. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I actually just got an email from Sea Doo, they are selling new Sparks for $4,799 now.

You cannot beat that for a new ski

7. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I see the Spark ads on Facebook. The problem is they are a lot more unstable than a regular 3 seater. They are made of recycled bottles instead of fiberglass or SMC. They also can have to be split at their seem to do engine work.

Plus we live near the LI Sound and it gets quite rough on weekends. The Spark doesn't work for us. I wish it did for me and my 3 year old that loves jet skis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    The R&D for Spark was over 7 years. Polytec is not "recycled water bottles", that is way too simple. The Spark is meant to be more fun and thus not as stable as the fiberglass models. You are correct that it is a shallow hull and you wouldn't be comfortable in the chop. There are quite a few people that do ride them in the ocean due to light weight and being able to launch off a wave. Taking out the screws to work on the engine is not a big deal. Nothing like splitting the case on a motorcycle.
    There will be more polytec hulls coming from Seadoo for other models.

9. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

I was pretty much kidding about the bottles but 2 dealers did say that maybe as a joke. Also every Sea Doo sales person I've spoken to said the real fiberglass Sea Doos are better, easier to service and better in the heavy seas and chop we get.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I spend a few weeks on the FL coast every year and EVERY marina that rents PWC's rents Yamahas. They must know something, the prices to buy them are are about the same.

I own 2 Sea Doos and one is always broken. I only use them in fresh water.

11. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Seadoo or swim.

12. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Really? What year are they? Major problems? I heard from dealers that supercharged machines from all manufacturers are troublesome.

Most places do rent Yamaha. Some places I've been to have Sea Doo and Yamaha. I never see Kawasaki or Honda.

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I prefer the seadoo . I have owned seadoos for around 25 years normally buying a new one every 2 to 4 years and have never had a problem with them.. I also would NOT recommend a spark for the location you want to use it . I would recommend the GTX or for a few dollars less a gti.
    During the winter the resale value on these things is terrible .. I sold a 4 year old I think rtx with 260 hp for only $3500 last winter... THat was one model i did not like it was fast but just to big and heavy..
    also i use them in salt water ...and rarely get around to flushing them ...
    I have also owned other brands and they have all given me more troubles ...

14. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Thanks. I will look all winter. I don't care if it is snowing like crazy when i buy one If the price is right.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I advertised mine on craigslist it sold pretty quick after it sat at the dealer for 5 months with no interest at all....I think it sold in about a week on craigslist so not a bad place to look

16. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    I am an observer in some of the Long Island jetski groups in Facebook. They're full of 'colorful' characters who id never want to be near on the water, but one thing is for sure and that's that undoubtedly every week there's a post about a broken Sea Doo while Yamaha owners rave about their reliability. For the sound I would recommend trying to find a FX HO. By all accounts those are pretty bulletproof, great in the chop and come without the supercharger maintenance of the SHO. My riding is limited to some old Polaris' that are still running great.

17. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark

I had 2 older seadoos, the 2 stroke variety... great machines, never an issue. Recently purchased a couple of the Yamaha FX SHO.. OMG!!! these are the absolutely fastest things ive ever been on.. SCAREY fast! something like 260 hp. Love em!! no real maintenance issues. oil change after initial 10 hrs... super stable in the water.

Either way ya go, youll get a quality machine (new.. no idea what ya get on the used market, like anything used.)

18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    We have two Yamaha FX SVHOs and use them in Pensacola Beach, where we live during the warm water months. We have never had an issue with them. We have only owned Yamaha motocross/watercraft for 20+ years and never had a problem. We also have a Yamaha jet boat. Again, no issues. Our friends with Seadoos have problems every year. Also, Yamahas come salt water ready, so no adjustments needed to move from fresh to salt and vice versa.

If you want fast, the FX is blazing fast. I've gotten mine up to 82 on the Sound.

19. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    The greatest 'tell' for me when I was looking for a ski last year was that Yamaha offers a much longer extended warranty. If I recall correctly it was 2 or 3 years longer than the longest Available seadoo warranty at the time.

20. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    From what I am reading, it seems like Yamaha may be the best way to go. I had a 2008 BRP Evinrude E-Tec from 2008 to 2015 and it was the best engine I ever owned, not one spec of trouble. This is why I felt maybe Sea Doo was a good option.

What's up with Kawasaki are they any good? I ask because you barely see them at dealers, or on the water.

21. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I live on Pensacola Beach May-Sep and have yet to see a Kawasaki on the water.

22. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Get a Honda -- besr PWC I have owned

23. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
  24. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    That's amazing!!!

Have you made any modifications to it?

I have never driven a high performance jet ski. Fastest I've gone is probably 63 on a Yamaha VX110. That's a really good jet ski to drive. Our friends have two and they always seem to be running and are easy but fun to ride.

I turned on offshore jet ski racing the other day. It was a race from Long Beach to Catalina and back. Every make was represented except Sea Doo. Kawasaki was really popular which is the exact opposite of recreational jet skis.

25. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    That's bone stock, and I still had some left to go but was approaching a big boat wake and had to slow. They are so fast that they'll put you off the back in a second if you grab too much throttle. But very stable, which is cool.