Thoughts about Scott Speed? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Thoughts about Scott Speed?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gilles27, Jun 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    He's just a "token" American driver until someone else comes along. Falls in the same ranks with Danica Patrick. I think that Mario's idea that Marco doesn't need GP2 is absurd.

Carol

2. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob

So you think Speed will also win Rookie of the Year, just as Danica did last year? I hope you're right.

By the way, Danica is currently 12th in the IRL standings in an uncompetitive car - 3 spots ahead of her teammate Buddy Rice. Pretty decent sophomore season for a 'token'.

3. Snapper323

Snapper323 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2005
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    L. Lee
    I looked up the name "Speed" on 411.com and there is a couple of listings for Manteca, California. I wonder if it his parents?

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    no way - it's going to be Nico

Carol

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ditto.

6. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

There are many more examples of guys who flashed on the scene and then fizzeled. Jean Alesi... JPM... Mark Webber... etc

How did your eagle eye for talent like Alonso at Minardi and Hakkinen in the Lotus?

Speed is a nice young guy, and pretty damn quick compared to his highly touted teammate. I agree with the "token American" comment; is he a world beater? Prolly not, but has earned his right to another chance to prove himself, for sure.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Alonso at Minardi was pretty obvious. Hakkinen at Lotus wasn't because he was a late bloomer: Only got into the game at about his 100th GP, then exploded in a fury of raw speed and collapsed a couple years later. Strange bird.

8. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob

I agree, it will be Nico. My point was that you were branding Danica to be a token when in fact she has proven to be successful and worthy of a seat.

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    She is successful in part due to her weight advantage - no brainer of a maybe 100 # female against male counterparts. Token = female publicity in a troubled series, add the glamour shots, etc. and viola IRL is now being viewed. The last several races have produced only mid-pack results. She can't compare to other female racers and she shares the same attributes on interviews as Speed - sucks. I recently saw in a magazine some not so true advertising for her - described her as the fastest woman driver, well I hardly think she compares to Melanie Troxtel in NHRA. She couldn't figure out how to adjust the mirrors in the Howard Boss DP at Daytona this year (it was obvious as shown on tv). Oh well enough said on that subject - it's been beaten to death many times over.

On to bigger and better things - like the upcoming ALMS race in Salt Lake, Magny Cours and the Tour de France (that's real racing at it's finest (better without Armstrong in it this year) and best of all no whinney butts blithering on in the interviews).

Carol

10. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    How the hell do you compare NHRA to IRL?

And you said something about a weight advantage? What the hell......