Those of you with Scud Ing F1 Relays... | FerrariChat

Those of you with Scud Ing F1 Relays...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zed82, May 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Are you satisfied with the relay in general? I´ve had my connected for a month now and i´m satisfied. Once you turn of the constant beeping it works like a charm. Now it only beeps during cycling of the pump while driving and if it detects faults.

However i got a fault the other day and it was fault 7 which means that the pump was cycling to often. I reset the fault code and it didn´t happen again. Should i be worried? Before the clutch change and 30K service i had some issues with shifting quality after a spirited drive with many shifts. After the clutch change and system flush it has not come back apart from this error detected by the relay. Although the car shifted like it supposed it too and i didn´t notice anything weird at all.

2. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I’m happy with mine though I can’t seem to get the beeping to stop. Not sure if it’s faulting at all as it’s not in my line of sight. Either way my car drives perfect. One thing I was a little disappointed in and it’s not the relays fault but the shifts are a little to smooth now not quite as violent as they used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mikevf430

mikevf430 Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Works for me as well but can’t turn constant beeping off....how is it done ?

4. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I have the basic model and it's installed inside the panel behind the driver's seat so I can't see what it's doing. Haven't had any problems with it so far. Shifts have been nice and smooth ever since installing it. Great mod and a fantastic value!

Ray Smith likes this.
  5. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I went with basic model also but since installed I haven't even drove it yet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mine has been in for about two months. I turned off the annoying beeps. It took me probably twenty tries before I finally turned them off. Dan (what the heck) has a short instruction list and there’s a YouTube video. Even so, it’s not easy to catch the sequence right. You could always unplug it or bury under the panel liked mentioned above.

Mine occasionally sounds a fault but I ignore it as everything is working fine.

If something really goes south you’ll know it in more ways than just the relay sound.

Apart from the process for turning off the sounds, it’s a high quality product IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Zed82 likes this.
  7. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    For everyone with the Basic version, did it make a difference in the shift speed and smoothness?

That's all i'm really looking for.

8. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    I have what's apparently now called the "advanced" version with the remote. The constant beeping with pump cycling is something I turned off almost immediately, but otherwise, it's been solid. I do get faults indicating that the pump is running too long perhaps 10% of the time when coming to a stop (with the car downshifting multiple times). I'm not sure what to make of that, as the car was recently inspected and checked out fine. As for shift smoothness, I didn't expect any improvements, and I don't notice any. But I should note that the original relay was working fine, and I switched relays as a preventative measure.

9. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Absolutely!

Shifts have become much smoother and a bit faster. Almost like a totally new transmission. Night-and-day difference for me.

10. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Really???
    I thought the relay only prevents the pump from burning out prematurely. 'Smoother and faster' shifts would cost a lot more that what Stef is selling them for.

11. deportm

deportm Karting

Jul 17, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Anthony Figueroa
    I absolutely noticed the shifting change, much smoother and swifter.

12. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    As I noted above, I didn't notice any changes in shift characteristics when I installed the Scuding F1 relay. That said, I suspect this is pretty susceptible to placebo effects, and I wasn't expecting any changes. From a plausibility perspective, I guess if the original relay is "sticking" and thus causing large variations in the pressure of the F1 hydraulics, then it makes sense that switching to the Scuding relay (or a new OEM relay) would be beneficial. Otherwise, I'm not sure how the Scuding relay really could impact shift quality. However, I'm open to suggestions.

Skidkid likes this.
  13. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I changed it for the solid state construction. Didn't really expect any change in shifting. My car shifted fine before and after the install. Maybe it shift's better but I can't tell. Its obviously a better piece than stock as far as construction.

14. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
  15. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    To reply to the question from fourm member vv23 For me my 360 was a 2000 so I upgrade the tcu to a 2002 model and did the cs software that made a difference in shifting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    This smooth shifting after the solid state relay upgrade has been discussed here many times......
    I noticed better and faster shifting after the upgrade but some people here insists Im dreaming so whatever.

The 7 beeps happen about 20% of the time to me. Its basically saying the F1 pump cycles too frequenty compared to the default setting of the relay.
    So I turned my beeping off except to only beep when there is valid fault.

Here's what I recommend:
    If you are concerned about the 7 beeps basically saying the pump is cycling too frequently, take your car to the dealer / Indi have your F1 System checked.
    If they said its working just fine, then you have nothing to worry about so you can just turn the beep off or adjust the beep default setting.
    This is what I plan to do. You cant put a price tag on peace of mind.

If you really dont care about any warning beeps and just want the benefit of a solid state relay compared to a mechanical relay that can get stuck and burn out the F1 pump - then you can just disconnect the beep module. Problem solved.

Hope that helps.

See attached on how to turn off default beeps.

Dan

Attached Files:

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I’m with you here. Probably placebo effect UNLESS their system had some issue. The updated site says it is just a relay replacement. Stef cites the testimonials as anecdotal evidence of better shifting but stops short of making the claim himself.

NOTE: I still think it is worthwhile and well designed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DitPun and klointheridge like this.
  18. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Will report back when I install my Basic Version. Figured I'd never look at it anyways, and don't need extra beeping or anything, so I got the basic version.

whatheheck likes this.
  19. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I literally just wondered in the other thread if I can disable the beeps and I will have to look it up. I should have known you already put together instructions and posted them on here. Thanks AGAIN, Dan! I will be doing this TOMORROW! Too many beeps!

whatheheck likes this.
  20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I guess the question is, how was the "pump cycling too frequently" determined? If some of you are experiencing this alarm, with an otherwise normally operating car, is the setting perhaps too sensitive and needs to be extended slightly in the software?

21. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I sent a message to Scud Ing and asked them to follow this thread.

22. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I´ve asked Scud Ing about it and the response is below. Sounds pretty reasonable and i will check up my system for leaks and maybe replace the accumulator preventively.

Regarding error code 7 - pump cycling too frequently, this is determined when the pump cycles less than every 15 secs. If this happens 10 times consecutively, the fault 7 is triggered. This is a sign that the F1/E-Diff system isn’t holding the pressure long enough. Can be caused by a worn hydraulic accumulator or minor leaks. Most of our more than 10 years old F430s still have the original accumulator. It’s a maintenance part as explained on our website and should be changed at least every 10years max. Fault 7 is there to Early Warn you and avoid a complete F1 failure in the future. Hope this helps.

BTW: this setting can be customized in the ECU configuration. Default is 15 secs but you can increase it to 20 secs (see in the manual)

whatheheck and f355spider like this.
  23. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    15 seconds is btw. in accordance with Ferrari spec. I just bought a new accumulator to begin with. It’s a maintenance item.

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Let us know if that fixes the issue. That was my first thought after reading their site but I am FAR from an expert on the system.

25. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Just checked with Scud Ing. The ECU can also be configured to min 11 secs, which makes it more permissive regarding fault 7. 11 secs represents the minimum rest time of the pump. If you increase it to 20 secs, it will make the ECU less permissive.