Thomas Kinkade Paintings | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thomas Kinkade Paintings

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by yasir, Sep 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I guess i just have to check the home depot and see if they have something that i like.Anyway if i was to buy things that reflects my tastes then i probably would need to be making atleast $2 million/year and unfotunately i don't,so what are my options ? Any way i have no idea about the art thing and infact i thought TK paintings were pretty nice not realizing his work is not at par with other well known artists.
    I guess i just have to do my homework now and find out an artist that uses the same color scheme as TK but has better name.
    Letsjet,thanks for the suggestion and yes i will check that site.
    Yasir

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Your welcome........ If you see paintings, even if they are super expensive, post a pict and maybe some one can steer you in a good direction.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Yasir,

I deleted my 3 prior posts as I felt they were hurtful to you and others that like T Kinkade.

I see many other F-chatter echo my comments, however.

I think part of the prob with Mr. Kinkade's work IS the color schemes. I think it might be hard to find fine art that uses that sort of effects.

I think the above comments are accurate that what you might want is decorative pictures, that should not be more than a few hundred dollars and might be found in the type of shops that sell prints and custom framing.

To buy art for an investment prob is not compatable with that. Good luck and get what YOU like, forget about all of us snobs here on F-chat. :)

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think there is a whole "cottage industry" though of Kinkade look-a-likes though. You can definitely find it if you want.

5. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Go to home depot,buy Kinkade-look-alike and blah blah blah.I suppose next i'll hear would be to go to walmart/Target to buy the prints,whats the matter with you guys.
    All i want is a nice picture that i can hang in my living room regardless of the price or the place where i buy it.I am not the kind that tries to keep up with the joneses ( spelling ? ).
    Ryalex/other artistic members,
    I would love to see the kinda paintings do you all have on your walls at home ? I am not trying to be a snob here but lets see some picts here ?
    Urotrash,
    I appreciate the gesture.
    To all others,
    I came here looking for info to get some insight about his paintings and to be honest i never expected all this criticisem.Even then i don't mind that but theres got to be a nicer way of getting yourself across than sounding like a bunch of snobs ?
    Yasir

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yasir, I tried to be very nice and helpful to you and you respond like this. I'm putting you on my ignore list. Sorry you had to respond that way.

7. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Urotrash,
    I didn't mean to say all that to you other wise i would not have appreciated your comments,would i ? I honestly mean to address the other members here and sorry for the confussion and i mean it.I am going to edit my previous post now.

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'm confused? Your mad at me now?

Dude (shaking my head)

I tried to explain, art is what you appreciate. If you really like TK then buy it. Don't listen to others. I don't want to influence you, that's why I haven't posted picts of what I like. Post picts of what you like......... then we can help further. BTW- bashing people is not a good way to ask for help.

Did you ever check out that website I posted?

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jay Koka......Randy Owens....and the guy I get confused with Tom Hanks that does the nice ladies sleeping and beachcoming..Steve Hanks????...Hard Yanks???? I forget...UPS destroyed three framed signed prints by him on the way to me....smashed em then kept going ..cut the prints to shreds....

Yea, Googled him...try Steve Hanks prints...I've mixed them in with the Koka's...

Or Micheal Atkinson does a nice job with watercolor landscapes in various colors and hues...

There's a lot of good stuff out there, have you ever gone to a framing gallery and browsed the catalogs?

Ken Eberts, and other AFAS members.....

10. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    No not you infact i appreciate your help and i will check that website soon.
    To other members,
    I think i got the message across and i also think this thread should just end now,in peace.
    Yasir

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    TK must be a real artist, he issues his own "Painter of Light" Visa cards.

13. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White
    Exactly. I once got into a discussion with an artsy-fartsy type, who cringed when i mentioned Bob Ross, who painted reasonably nice landscapes with a 2" brush, but thought that Jackson Pollack, whose works look like a baby puked on a canvas in technicolor, was a "visionary".

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I like those paintings the elephants make while doing time in the zoo as well, some of those are really interesting...........

15. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Knock TK all you want folks, but his original works do go for
    a lot of Money. He is further capitalizing on his work by selling
    prints of originals. And you know what? People buy them, and
    keep buying them. The perfect business model!

Now, think about it, few "masters" realized any monetary gain for
    their work. ( Not referring to TK in this league) Even those fortunate
    enough to be commissioned, did their work for mere sustenance.
    I'm aware of only one of those considered to be a "true master",
    who lived realize fame and fortune from their life's work.

Can you name which Artist I'm referring to?

Napolis excluded ( Not Fair )

16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Da Vinci was financially successful (Matisse is not consider a "master" but was also financially successful). TK is a good businessman, not a great artist.

17. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White
    Picasso.

18. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Also Salvador Dali. Although, given the commercialization of his work, he could be thought of as a Kincaide as well....talented but in it for the buck!

KevFla

PS: Someone mentioned Pollock....please consider how radical Stravinsky's work sounded to his contemporaries. Pollock's work wasn't much different. Radical for it's time....but over time recognized for its significance within the history of art or music.

19. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dali wasn't a "Master", he was a "Mass Producer".

20. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have some TK wallpaper in my middle bath. Nice English traditional design, not representational.

Thinking that Thomas Kinkade and Salvador Dali could have anything in common beyond promotional ability and religious themes in some of their work is artistic sacrilege.

21. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Correct!

22. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yassir,
    check out Tarkay. My wife and I like his work--it's elegant and lively and brings a splash of color into the room. I don't know about collectibility, but the works we have are worth about 3 times as much as we paid for them a couple of years ago.

I also like some of Peter Max's stuff. I used to have a painting of his, Asian Woman, that I could just sit and stare at for hours. It really inspired me, and I like to think I discovered a lot of nuances in that painting. That one also appreciated well.

Finally, we also like some of the stuff done by Joan Miro, although his lithographs can be pretty pricey, and they didn't fit quite as well at home as the paintings in the museums that inspired us. We had to spend a lot on the frames and the backing paper to get the right look so it would match our deocr. The ones we have traded back had quadrupled, so they are definitely a good investment.

Quadrupling, however, may be a misnomer. You go to a gallery and there's a tag on something you like. You offer what you have and if it's an even exchange, you can figure that the "worth" has appreciated to whatever you are getting in exchange. However, with partial trades, markups, discounts, and hokey prices to begin with, it's all a game that I don't take very seriously. All I know is that we have never had to shell out money when exhanging our original stuff. And somewhere along the way, the number of items we own seem to have grown. I take it to mean that it's appreciated. If it's all auctioned off, we could have a good idea of its true market worth, but until then, who really knows?

I have taken your budget into account when recommending these, so you should be able to find some decent stuff in here. Let us know, or better yet, post some pictures when your home is decorated!

Rgds,
    Faisal.

23. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Just for something that is still reasonably priced, I like the works of Windberg. I guess I just enjoy finding the details he puts into his works, such as the Brandy snifter in which you can see the reflection of him doing the painting. There is always a pleasant surprise to find in his work if you look deep enough and they are restful to the eye.

But then, that is just my opinion,.