This is what it's like to drive a Ferrari for the first time | FerrariChat

This is what it's like to drive a Ferrari for the first time

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PASquared, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PASquared

PASquared Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Philadelphia
    In December, I was fortunate enough to have my first drive in a Ferrari. It was a California T. This was my experience.

In summary, it was incredible, surprising, emotional, and simply awesome.

As if I needed any further convincing that I would be a future customer!

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Good for you, now you need to go visit Algar!

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The first Ferrari I ever drove was a rented 512TR in the late 90s. While in my early-mid 20s was pretty much the highlight of my car driving experience though to be honest the only 2 things I remember were 1 the exhaust note, and 2 the attention you got in the car. everything else was kinda a blur. I remember riding up and down the Las Vegas strip but out of a day of driving the car those are really the only 2 things I remember.

Then fast forward several years my next jaunt into a Ferrari was the California T. I still remember the major differences as memories of the 512tr gated transmission and early 90s styling came rushing back to memory and It was quite obvious I was in a whole different car. Not only did I really enjoy the car it surprised me at how easily it handled and how easy it was to drive in both auto mode and flappy paddle mode. the ride quality and power were way different then I recalled as well. It was quite a bit quieter then the 512 I from what I recall. I remember thinking that getting used to all the controls on the steering wheel would be a challenge but within a few hours of driving it was pretty easy to remember to use the blinkers on the steering wheel. The biggest surprise was that my wife actually enjoyed the car too. We have since rented the California t in week increments when we vacation in Las Vegas, however we wont be renting one this year, nor probably vacationing in Las Vegas this year. We are currently making double payments on our truck to pay it off this year and saving money for a hefty down payment on a California. Hopefully we will be making a purchase at the end of this year. I will still be test driving a F430, but have eliminated the 360 as a possible candidate. I also like the Maserati Granturismo quite a bit but the California is just a better feeling car on the road in ride quality and handling and acceleration.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The first Ferrari I drove was the first Ferrari I bought. First drive was 250 miles home from the dealership I bought it at. Had to drive in my stocking feet because the gas and brake pedals were so close to each other. IOW, an awesome experience. :)

5. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Well i'll bite. The first Ferrari I drove was also the car I bought. A 1967 330 GTC with a good history. I had hit it big in the market and had as much money as I wanted to spend and no kids yet.( this was 1981) I had almost not bought it or even gone to see it, as I had been to see another one a week before hand and the owner was such a Jerk I walked out of there resigned to not bother. How he intended on selling a car without letting me drive it I have no idea. Anyway, the car I bought came with a trailer, so I had flown to Florida from Texas looked at the car and returned two weeks later with my Van to tow it home. The tires were shot and it needed a new exhaust, but it was a solid car and I kept it almost 30 years. You get spoiled once you have a 12 cylinder car.

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. PASquared

PASquared Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Philadelphia
    I've been there a handful of times, it will be many, many more visits before I can afford to bring something home from there!

Very cool that your first 'modern' Ferrari experience was also in the California T!

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    And, 2 years, 11K miles later, that same feeling persists. Ferrari come with a lot of quirks you don't find in mass produced cars, but once you hit the red button, and fire her up, the quirks just don't seem to matter...T

thorn and azlin75 like this.
  8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I talked to a bunch of people to see what car my wife would be most comfortable in, the unanimous answer was a California. They were correct. We test drove a 488 spider and it was almost an immediate no, and just last weekend looked at an f430 and she was done after just getting in. She didn't even go on the test drive. At the end of the day while it will be my car I want her to be comfortable in it too since we both will be going places in it.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well you might want to go back and have a look at the 2014 Evora S they got recently. Not a Ferrari, but a nice, car (rare loaded and Red) that drives and handles very well. They are also rarer than a Ferrari in these parts

10. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    First Ferrari(s) I drove, were an F1 360 Spider, and a manual 550 back-to-back on the same day. This was about a dozen years ago. Then I promptly bought a Mercedes AMG which I kept for nearly ten years but still had an opportunity to try another 360 Modena (with a manual) in the meantime. I really loved that AMG, but I still kick myself in the shadows for not having gone with a Ferrari in the first place (+10 years ago).

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The first Ferrari I ever sat in, let alone drove, was the 308QV I bought.

The test drive felt surreal. "Am I actually driving this car...?!"

Which, btw, is why you should have a third party/mechanic/expert check the car for and with you. If it's your first Ferrari experience, you might be so overwhelmed that you don't notice any flaws it might have.

That particular feeling has faded, but the pure enjoyment hasn't. Hearing that engine fire up and pulling out of the garage never loses the magic.