THIS is the new 620 GT | Page 6 | FerrariChat

THIS is the new 620 GT

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by asb9987, Feb 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    There is a lot different in the 599 GTO. Under the skin, which itself is different, the mechanicals are either further refined over the GTB or different/ better. If its not a super car in your mind thats one thing, but I think as far as Maranello is concerned, they do regard it in a special echelon over the standard 599. Its a tremendous automobile.

2. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Agreed.

Indeed. Took mine out of it's winter sleep yesterday for an hour of sheer driving pleasure. Boy I came back with such a big smile on my face. Quite frankly speaking ... I couldn't care less if others call it a super Ferrari or not ... but it sure is super for me :)

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Nice! That's all that matters.

4. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I have driven a 599GTO, very recently in fact, and it is a great car there is no of that doubt. You seem to have taken a personal offense, I never said the car wasn't special, I'm very aware of the list Ferrari keeps. There also 599GTOs that exist outside of that list, like S/N 182567. Much like the Enzo there are going to be many more made than officially stated. People were also "vetted" to buy the 16M, SA Aperta, Sessanta etc.

No one said the car wasn't special, I'm simply relaying what Ferrari has said. Its a great car.

Please, see Forza Magazine, there is an official interview with the aluminum department regarding why the "standard" cars are going to be made from a aluminum and not carbon fiber.

Anyways this is all very off topic, if anyone wants to continue this discussion, let us at least do it in the correct thread.

5. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    That's what its all about! :)

6. jhietter

jhietter Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    In the end, that's all that matters. Most owners are in love with their GTOs so I will trust them over people that judge it from behind their keyboard.

7. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Are you referring to me? I have driven a 599GTO, I never said the car wasn't amazing. It is stunning.

8. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #133 dcmetro, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Enjoying life to the max.

You are right mister M.

BTW, during a GTO picture Fix yesterday I found this. I thank that must be you, according to the specs of the car and the location of the picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. cprob

cprob Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Tool-Fan/Michael Just to clarify about vetting and the "list", was your point that if you are not part of the first approved group and show up late to the party (checkbook in hand) that they usually find room for you, such as your example ? How is 182567 special? Thanks

10. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Yes, you can be late to the party, you still need to be "special" but you can still get a car. This is evidenced with every limited Ferrari, even with the super rare stuff ie FXX, 599XX, Enzo etc. It was announced by Ferrari that they wouldn't make more than 30 FXXs, I know there are at least 38. 182567 is a 599GTO that was built long after the "official" GTO production had stopped.

11. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Man, how many creases, indentations, cut lines and jagged angles can you put on one car?
    What rule book states that there has to be so much going on? Maybe this car looks better in person, but I am not feeling this. There is not a simple pleasing line to enjoy without the interference of another line very close by.
    The 458 is definitely a better looking car. My opinion, of course.

12. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    No ... not me but this car belongs to a very good friend (he is a member on this board). His roof is matte black (mine matte grey). Stunning car as well and very well specced.

13. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Check recent (within last 4mo or so) FML which had many and varied design/style influences of Ferrari for corvette--lots of nice pic too.

14. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Is there a link?

15. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes, the days of simple and rounded forms seem to be gone. Creases and edges superimposed on classic lines seem to be the rule of the day. And I do agree that on the 458 they work beautifully. When I first saw one, I thought it was one of the most beautful cars I had ever seen; yet it was also completely different than anything that had gone before. Ferrari broke new ground with it: aerodynamic efficiency in a beautiful package without wings and protrusions. And the sculptured creases and edges integrate to add to the impression. Let us hope that the new 620GT does as well. We won't know for awhile yet.

16. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    just on the point of modern design being too edgy, the new 911 conforms to the old school. just a gorgeous flowing, bulbous angle. saw one today for the first time and it blew me away. they've always been grogeous cars but the new one rivals the 458 with its flowing curves.

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Agree to disagree. I went to a premier of it. It looks fantastic...for a Porsche.

18. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I hate the new 911 personally and it's not comparable at all to a 458

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #144 TheMayor, Feb 27, 2012

Poor Porsche can't get it's mind out of 1963. It's been retro before there was something called "retro".

It's retro of retro. :)

It's also bigger, which everyone on Fchat says is a "bad thing" with every new model.

Looks like some new designer grafted a new front end to something from 1982 -- without looking at the rest of the car.

20. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #145 Noblesse Oblige, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    Porsche deliberately does not break new ground with its 911s. They were punished severely in the marketplace when they tried to move away from the base 911. So 911s are always evolutionary not revolutionary. That is not to say that they are unattractive; they are handsome in the melted bar-of-soap tradition of automotive design. But because they derive from a time before the science of aerodynamics began to be applied to cars, they will always need add on bric a brac to make them stable and create enough downforce to keep them on the ground. What was marginal in 1963 for 110 mph will fly off like a frisbee at 190 mph in 2012.

Part of the evolution is the forward movement of the powertrain. No longer is everything behind the rear axles. But neither is it mid engine. This movement has helped tame the ...er.. "unhappy" handling of the past In another 100 years it may be mid engine.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #146 TheMayor, Feb 27, 2012
    Yah well copying Audi's and McLaren's big black fins isn't helping in it's "evolution" any.

22. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    I don't like porsche's much and I never knew why my dad chose a 911 or a 550 but the thing with porsche is they dont really need to change their models... even though they look so outdated... a porsche is so well known, arguably the best known sports car (not exotic, not hyper) out there.

It's just their history, like the front grill with most Ferraris.

I'll probably recieve some hate for this, but I always thought Porsche models look retarded.

23. gpscyclingtour.be

Dec 26, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wellens J.
    #148 gpscyclingtour.be, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  24. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I'm sure Porsches are extremely well handling sports cars, I've never driven one, but I never really liked the styling. I've always thought, "Add a few long whiskers to the front of a 911, and you have a nice looking catfish.

Come on the 29th, only one more day!!!

25. skydancer

skydancer Rookie

Feb 19, 2009
    Principality Sealand
    +1