This Certainly Looked Catastophic | FerrariChat

This Certainly Looked Catastophic

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by billg, Jan 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Driving down the interstate this morning on the way to the body shop after the idiot who washes my car knocked the tail light cap off, I notice a sprinkle of fluid which I take to be water or something from the truck ahead of me on my windshield, but just on the driver's side. This increases slowly, so I put the wipers on and the stuff just smears over the glass. I'm about a mile and a half from the body shop which is next to the mechanic. By the time I get to the mechanic oil is covering the windshield -- only on the driver's side -- and streaming sideways on the side glass. It looked just like on TV, when the onboard camera records a race-ending malfunction, the oil covers the glass and the announcer says, 'So, Didier LePew is out of this race!'
    My mechanic looks at the engine and says, 'The leak should be obvious, but it's not.' He vaguely suggested a bad crank seal and admitted the 1980 400A to the hospital. I should add that the dipstick showed the oil low, maybe an inch from the bottom of the stick. Holding 19 quarts, the engine I'm thinking is probably allright. My gauge did show some pressure when I drove into the mechanic.
    Gentlemen, how worried should I be?

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'll give you a qualified "it depends".

Is it really oil? Could it be coolant? This is often how leaking radiators behave.

Is the oil from your car? Whata about the truck you were following.

How much oil/coolant is missing? Check power steering also.

If the leak isn't obvious I wonder how clean your engine bay is.

It sounds like a pinhole in a radiator or oil cooler or a high pressure line (power steering?).

I hate to second guess your guy but I can't see an easy path for the oil from the crank to the windshield. A crankshaft seal (front or rear) is usually a dripping kind of leak, typically onto the ground or the underside of the car (like every Jaguar does). To get to the windshield it is likely coming from somewhere high up on the engine.

3. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    It's oil. He thinks it's a front crank seal and the oil got on the belt and the belt flung it into the windshield. I was praying it just a loose oil filter. No such luck. My engine bay was not particularly clean to start with.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Still sounds like a lot to come off a belt.

5. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    Hi,
    First of all:is the fluid oil?
    Don't say "yes" before you are 100% sure...
    If it is really oil,you should know that ONLY high pressurised oil can go up to the windscreen. Engine oil is pressurised inside the engine,not outside...If the engine oil stays under solid pressure outside the block,you have serious problems...and you won't go far!
    Check the color and the smell of the fluid.
    Red,green,black,brown/beige transparant?
    My guess:you have a leaky power steering hose.
    Is the hood inside greasy(take care of the ignition box on the inner side of the hood,don't flood it with oil or any fluid!)?
    I would do this:1 look level of power steering oil.
    2 start engine,turn the steering wheel left and right.
    3 look into engine bay for a jet of oil,coming from/trough a hose.
    4 wear GLASSES!!! Chances are small,but you don't want oil into your eyes...
    5 if the problem is the power steering system,you may only see a jet IF YOU EXERCICE FORCE ON THE WHEEL. Do not just "look",you really have to turn the wheel to built high pressure inside the hoses.

Other possibility:it could be just water(your car had just been washed),and water that got greasy becuz of your "not so clean" engine bay.
    Good luck!
    Speedman

6. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    What did you smell? Did it smell sweet or hot? And clean or not anything spraying that much would be obviously wet. What about under the car? Funky smelling? Power steering. Sweet smelling? Coolant. Hot smelling? Oil. Nothing? Check all of your levels, clean the bay some let it dry and drive it. If it was your car it will happen again and then you'll know.

7. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    Forget about crankcase leaky seals or oil-throwing belts...
    This ain't a SF movie...
    Gravity means:eek:il should be drippin' down on the ground.
    Don't listen to people who will tell you "it could be this or that".
    In this case,you only need 1 thing:a solid confirmation...
    Speedman

8. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    I have noticed the steering a little harder, but I thought it was my imagination. The fluid was very dark. I had the fluids changed -- oil, of course, coolant, brakes -- but not sure if they'd have done the power steering. Would a change of power steering fluid be part of a post-purchase fluids change, usually? But I noticed no change in the steering resistance after the major leak started.

9. SPEEDMAN WITHOUT LICENCE

Jul 7, 2006
    Charleroi Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stefaan Wauters
    Hi,
    Look,some powersteering pumps can be broken very easy by putting the wrong oil in it. Some Audi's (all?) are very prone to that. It's like ATF(Automitic Transmission Fluid),the color additives are just added to be sure (not everybody reads what is written on the bottles!!),or the antifreeze in the radiator...
    Suppose that your leak is comin' from the powersteering unit,be aware,this is NOT a major leak,it's a very small leak that lets the fluid through in certain cases (turning the wheel usually and you will see it),but it is very high pressurised,so when it comes out,it goes instantly in a "vaporation",if you may call it that way,and it LOOKS a huge mess...
    I had this problem once on a Porsche 928 S4,and it was a high pressure hose that was leakin',but only when you turn the wheels when the car wasn't movin'.Once the car was rollin' and much less pressure was needed to make the wheels turn,there was no problem. We were 2 to localise the problem:eek:ne guy turned the steering wheel,and I was lookin under the hood,untill I saw a very very tiny small jet of fluid comin' through a hose when the pressure was buildin' up...
    Problem was solved next day...
    Good luck!
    PM Rifledriver,he could give you some very good advice.....
    Speedman

10. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    I walked into the garage, the car's at the back where they actually work on them which is a very privileged place to be, believe me. There's a red rag tied around something at the very front of the engine. I go into the office, garage owner says, speaking of one of his mechanics, 'Did Eddie show you hole in the side of the motor?'
    Jokes, jokes. If I hadn't seen the rag I'd have blown chunks across his desk. Anyway, it's a blown upper oil-cooler line. But of course things are rarely so clear-cut with this Ferrari, and in this case the upper line is available, lower line not being made, my mechanic says. Any suggestions on where I might mind one of these?
    And I really want to say thanks to all who gave me some input on this. By the end of the night last night I had ceased to forsee catastrophe.

11. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Bill, I didn't realize you were in New Orleans. When I read about the hole in the engine. I immediately thought of your "mechanic". Then I saw you were in N.O. :)

12. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    The mechanic's wonderful. From 3 until about 5:30 every afternoon this man deals with one gloriously egomaniacal customer after another. Just to sit in the shop for a while during those hours is a riot. He stands there with his arms crossed, this stolid Yankee with his own good sense of humor, and enjoys the show as much as the performers.

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'll have to show one of my supplemental repair bills from him with the add ons for whining and crying about the a/c not working :)

14. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Whine time he bills at 85 an hour.

15. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    Oh that's just wrong!!

16. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    You can't think I'm serious.

17. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I quote from the bill , "Fee for whining about a/c not working and crying about car sitting here for 8 weeks. Bill was $5,000 but has been increased by 20% for lack of patience. "

I also have seen another bill with a $125.00 cheeseburger on it. :)

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Probably can repair the leaking line, post a photo if you can or PM me with your phone #

19. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Thanks for the offer, and I'm sure it could be done but over the years with these cars I've just had to come to the conclusion that I'm not a person with the patience nor the affinity for anything mechanical. Isn't that ridiculous!? But, what can I say, it's true. It makes me a real anomaly on ferrarichat but I do enjoy reading the technical posts no matter how technical they are. And I know this is anathema to so many here, but I just get the stuff fixed. Anyway, right now all I can think about is the Saints.

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Actually I meant that I could fix it if there's a problem locally. There probably isn't an OEM replacement available. I've had good success using hydraulic hose and fittings. May require a little machine work or TIG welding.