Thinking of a California 30 | FerrariChat

Thinking of a California 30

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Themaven, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hi, I own a few 2-seater Ferraris and am thinking of adding a Cali 30 to the stable because a) I need a sports car that can occasionally take more than 1 passenger b) it needs to be convertible c) my wife has given me permission.

I have narrowed my choice down from a broad field (as I am sure many people did) to a California 30 or a 911 Turbo S Cabriolet (997.2, PDK).

I work in the media and am fortunate enough to get many supercars to review on launch, so I have experience of the California, California 30 and T, and the 30 is the sweet spot for me, for various reasons, including price.

I have learned a huge amount about DCT and variator issues on this forum, thank you everyone. I would only buy from a main dealer with warranty.

A couple of questions:

a) Why did people here choose a California over competitors, including a 911 TT S, Maserati GC, various Astons and Bentleys, all of which are/can be 2+2 so the same kind of practicality? My own view of the 997.2 TT S vs Cali 30 is:

Porsche: Cheaper to buy and maintain, just as fast/faster, probably more practical (German, rather than Italian).

Ferrari: More fun, better to look at, more of an event, HS pack tightens handling..and it's a Ferrari!

What does anyone here think?

b) Aside from the DCT and variator issues, both of which I would ensure are covered by any warranty, is there anything else to look out for? Are Californias pretty much average when it comes to maintenance costs/reliability, or are they less reliable than others (due to being new model, tech, etc)? As I say I own Ferraris already and am aware of the cost lottery (mine have been pretty good) but if there's anything exceptional about this model on this front, I'd like to know.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with you the California 30 is in sweet spot for what you get at that price. The California T has way more noticeable power (100hp) and little better looks, but they have further to fall depreciation. The Cali T might be my choice when they fall into line $20-30k above the 30.

I don't think you can consider the back seats for adults at all, even driving 5 miles to the local restaurant. It was tight for Mia who is 4'6" and 45 lbs, but it was doable. Is a 911 much better back seats? I think 612 or FF would be better if truly wanting back seat usage. Also the GranTurismo is consideration much better pricing, usable adult back seats, and arguably better looks. The only downside although seeing less the last year is that you see Maseratis everywhere.

I think the California is a great car that you don't know is convertible when top up, make a convertible in 15 seconds, and looks that even most Ferrari people can't tell difference from the F12.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Rob. Yes it would be the occasional compression-type ride for more than one, but teenagers seem happy to fold themselves up briefly in order to have that Ferrari roof down experience on occasion. If they're not, they can walk.

612, FF etc have no open-top fun which is 95% of the reason for my purchase..I have a C63 AMG (6.3) wagon as a DD which is wild enough for four.

You're right about the F12 part also.

To clarify, I'm thinking of a California 30 with HS pack.

If anyone has any must-have options to suggest I'd love to hear those. My Ferraris are from an era when there weren't too many options. How's the standard hi-fi/is an upgrade worthwhile?

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Porsches (911) are desirable cars but they are not Ferraris. They are reliable, handle very well and fast/faster but are limited in terms of the breadth of driving experience. Ferraris are noted for their uniquely broader packaging of entertainment value. You would know that as a Ferrari owner. That's not to say the 991.2 TTS is not distinctive, but if you look closely, the elaborate 911 lineup is essentially an array of incrementally more aggressive, better-performing cars and they make 10X as many. This makes the Ferraris much more expensive to develop and produce but also a lot more exclusive and exotic. By my estimate, there were only about 1480 Cali30s sold in NA (2013-2014), less than 2,800 Cali30s made, all told.

As regards whether the Cali30 is preferable to any turbocharged exotic, even without listening and feeling the difference in driving, consider why Ferrari and other marques went turbo. In the past, it was a cheap way to upgrade engine performance (e.g. BMW, Mercedes). Nowadays, it's because govt regulations and naïve obsession with comparing performance numbers made it economically impossible to do otherwise. Consider what Ferrari have stated they actually prefer. Is the 812 turbocharged? Would you prefer a turbo 812?

The Maserati GC does not have the same level of quality, sportiness, performance or fun as the Cali. AM Vantage manual, DBS manual were not deemed reliable, modern or as sporty, even new models do not have DCT-type transmissions, and overweight. IMO, Bentley CGTs are wonderful boulevard cruisers. I dislike looks, unrefined sound, cigar-shape of Mercs. Huracan is nice but has artificial sound, frumpy rear and "industrial CF". Spyder is awkward-looking. Aventador Spyder sound nice, look OK but way overpriced, dated, impractical and uncomfortable. MACs are fast, look OK but extremely bland interiors, hate the active suspension, feels like the car is driving you rather than the normal arrangement.

Finally, since you already own Ferraris, you'll know the biggest factor in owning an exotic like a Ferrari is actually how much confidence you have in the dealer/service you have available to patronize. If you already have that in the bag, IMO you're pretty good to go.

Good luck!

P.S. - standard hi-fi sounds adequate to me but the upgraded one would be "free" in a used car anyway. Not a significant decision-making factor. Mic picks up phone conversation fine when just puttering about.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    My quick reading of the official site suggests that currently there are precisely two 30s with HS in the dealer network !

You may have to compromise on the HS and/or not worry about options

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    From my source at Ferrari:

The HS pack was introduced at the same time as the California 30 upgrades, so you shouldn’t see a HS pack on a car with 460hp – they should all have 490hp.

But yes I may have to bide my time and/or pounce..once I've made up my mind!

Interested to hear what anyone who has owned a 911 TT S cabrio and a California has to say..

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Do a search, someone has already done this on the forum.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Michael. I did search and found a few threads. The best comparison I found was actually from a user on a Porsche forum. I'm not sure what the rules are about linking to that, but I have pasted his write up below in case anyone's interested with apologies to him and them for copyright. It's from 2011.

It's always good to ask again, as unlike facts, opinions change..

I appreciated your detailed input on all the DCT threads.

I really liked the California 30 when I reviewed it. Somehow more than the T, but that may be wrong.

Repost here:

"It's interesting to me that when someone mentions a 911 over on the Ferrari boards, you generally get nothing but compliments on how great a car it is. But mention a Ferrari over here, someone has to be negative. I wonder why that is? Probably the same reason why the Mustang guys like to bash the Porsches.

Newer Ferraris are not as maintenance-intensive as the older cars. The $6000 belt service is a thing of the past. Yes, parts are expensive -- it's a Ferrari. This is not a car that you stretch to get into and cross your fingers that it won't break. You need to have the financial wherewithal to buy it and maintain it, and to understand that when you are looking at a $240,000 car just the regular depreciation is terrifying by regular standards. They are not for everyone.

That being said, as of 2012 Ferrari added 7 years of free annual maintenance to the car. The dual-clutch transmission is built by Getrag and it is intended to last the life of the car, as the PDK is. The standard brakes are carbon ceramic and should also last for a long, long time if you are not tracking the car.

If the car you buy is still under the new car warranty you can extend that for an additional 2 years. Otherwise, you can buy the Ferrari New Power warranty, which is renewable annually for 12 years. It is not cheap, but given the price of the car, not outrageously expensive. It's basically insurance. Put the money in an account, or buy it and sleep well at night. The nice thing about Ferrari's warranty is you can put it on any Ferrari as long as it passes inspection at the dealer. Porsche should offer that.

I've daily driven 911s -- including the 991 -- for 27 years. I have a 2013 California 30 that is my second F-car -- my first was an F430 Berlinetta.

My California is faster and more powerful than my 991 -- for the Cali 30 you're talking 490 hp and 373 ft.lb. torque, 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, quarter mile in 12 seconds, top speed around 193 mph. It's plenty fast enough for any hairdresser Image Unavailable, Please Login

Compared to the 991, the driving experience is very different. It is far more of an event to drive the car ... the steering is very sharp, the car has so much power, the sound the car makes is intoxicating from the moment you start it up, the shifting is lightning fast and if you get on it a little bit you get these terrific rifle-shot cracks on the upshifts, with the triple blipping on the downshifts, 8000 rpm redline, with that motor howling behind you. I'm sorry, but I put PSE on my 991 and the popcorn overrun sounds a bit absurd to me now. And I love the 991. Honestly, top down on some twisties with this car and you understand immediately.

The principal difference between the California and the mid-engine cars (430, 458, etc.) is you can comfortably drive the California daily. You can put the top down with your wife in the car and have a nice, leisurely drive to wherever. Getting in my F430 was totally different, you are sitting low, it's very loud in the car, you feel like you are in a race car. You attract way more attention in the F430 -- whether it's people ogling it, idiots driving next to you at 80 mph on the freeway and filming you with one hand, morons in Hyundai Tiburons revving their engines at you. Not ideal for every day, although some people do drive them that way. The California, especially if it's not red, is more under the radar and attracts much less attention. But it can still be the howling backroad banshee if you want it to be. The performance of the Cali 30 is very comparable to the F430 on the street. It is very much a Ferrari.

That being said, there are still some downsides. It is, again, a Ferrari, so you can get a certain amount of negative attention. You might worry about where your driving it to, how safe it is to park it, and, of course, it could break -- and it will be expensive to fix. I have considered getting a 991 Turbo S instead, and test drove one seriously last summer. But even though the Turbo is more powerful and a "better" car in every way than the Ferrari, it was just not the same special experience driving it. I held on to the Cali. I almost sold mine last year to get into a 458 but I'm glad I did not.

The best thing to do, of course, is get out and drive a California. I would recommend picking up a 2013 or 2014 because the extra power is nice to have and the car feels more responsive on the street. The California T (turbo) is a huge step up in performance but honestly, the 30 is enough for me.

To get a little more specific, the engines seem to be fine. The gearbox is made by Getrag and designed to last the life of the car. There have been some failures of a sensor inside the gearbox which requires the box to be disassembled to replace. That's not cheap. But it's a much better and far more reliable transmission than the Ferrari F1 gearbox it replaced. People have had some trouble with the convertible tops but it's usually a sensor issue (I went through this on my car). The hardtop is great, you really can have a coupe or convertible experience at the touch of a button. The design and material of the interior are top-notch, the aroma of the leather is terrific. The car is beautiful in person, people complain about the rear being too tall in the photos but it looks just right to me. The roof has to go somewhere. Back seats are largely useless, just like in the 911."

SkiFreak and omdehoek like this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Jimmie.

They look cool but neither is a California 30 with HS, which is the one I'd consider. The 30s are advertised as having 490 hp not 460 hp (or should be).

11. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Are you going to take it to the track? If no, performance is not very important.

I like the California because of the hard top.

I find the drive position much better. After test drive TTS and getting back in Ferrari I just smiled at how much fun it is to drive.

You see a Porsche at every light. I like that I don’t see my car at every corner.

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I certainly enjoy my Cali T HS more than I did my 991tts but part of that is because I have a convertible. However, the sound is better, the interior is nicer and the car does drive better on the street and at the track. The big advantage of the Porsche is low end torque but I don't miss it because the Cali T is plenty fast enough with the turbos. and the HS makes it sound better and shift faster than the Porsche as well.

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You are correct. They are not Cali30s. FWIW, Cali30s DO NOT have the milled Cavallino on the billet aluminum centre tunnel. Here are other details to also keep in mind:

- the Cali30 has much shorter ratio gearing which makes the car much more punchy than the earlier car if you drive in a spirited manner. This helps make the Cali30 much faster than the earlier car. Race cars use short ratios.

- the stiffer Eibach springs in the HS pack LOWERS the car and it no longer feels confused in rapid transitions.

- the HS pack reduces rack ratio from 2.5 turns to 2.3 and this is also very noticeable and very handy.​

The Cali30 is much more desirable if you are a performance-oriented driver.

Themaven and omdehoek like this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you - no I wouldn't track it. Fun to drive factor is an essential consideration for me. Something Porsches seem to have lost.

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Sounds like the Cali rings all the right bells. Outright speed when you're in a car that can hit 60 in around 4 seconds doesn't really matter to me. My 996 TT S was faster than my 430 Spider but much less fun.

My problem is I'm a child of the 80s when 911 Turbos really were wild and fun - arguably as fun as comparable Ferraris. I can't shake that aura off, even though Porsche has. All your inputs are convincing me even more.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Really interesting information, thank you. I didn't know any of those 3 details and they do make a significant difference. If anything, Ferrari underplayed that difference.

17. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    #18 OwenC, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    I've had a 2013 Cali 30 HS and a 2011 997.2 Turbo S Coupe at the same time (got both used with very low mileage) so I can compare both side by side.

The Cali 30 sound's way better vs the Porsche Turbo and the ride is softer. Steering is a lot lighter as well vs the Porsche. Driving the Cali was an event and was actually a lot of fun when everything functioned well especially on mountain roads. The car felt a bit boaty but do not bother me at all.

The 997.2 TTS, on the other hand, was definitely a lot faster than the Cali especially once the turbo kicks in. But there's some lag, and power at very low RPM's had no power which might have been intentional to improve daily driveability. It was a quick fix though with a Europipe upgrade and sound improved although still nothing compared to the Ferrari NA V8 or even Porsche NA flat-6's. But the Porsche, even though is an older car, was a MUCH better built car vs the Ferrari.

Both cars feels more like a grand tourer than a full on sports car which is good on public roads. I guess the main question will be whether you will go for a sports car with extreme straight line acceleration and with very good grip but can feel a bit clinical vs an exotic softer sports car that is well, just average in terms of handling.

With my Cali experience, I experienced issues like sticky buttons everywhere, a creaky roof, a boot that refuses to close after roof operation, rear view mirror that detached itself from the base, broken O2 sensors, computer errors if the car wasn't used just over a week (you will need a charger), and other computer errors popping out when power is on but engine off for over 10 minutes (e.g. while refilling in a gas stop). While the 997.2 TTS, practically none of the above apart from regular wear and tear (e.g. leather getting old). Ok, maybe a dead battery once after not using the car for over 3 weeks which was resolved with a car charger.

When I only had the 997.2 TTS, it was starting to get boring since everything was running fine and it was only after I had my Ferrari when I realized its value even more. Because when the Cali was new, it was super exciting as I was like dating a hot model. At one point, I had to drive it around for my young boy after dinner almost everyday. But once strange issues started cropping up, the novelty wore off and I ended up driving the Porsche more often and in much farther distances.

With the Cali, I was visiting the dealer very often although they did their best to resolve issues. But after one was fixed, another came out so it started getting tiring. The dealer did offer me to buy their power warranty but I decided that with my busy lifestyle, I preferred a sports car that will run when I had a chance to drive it so I sold the Cali at a substantial loss. Actually, I've also moved on from the 997.2 but at almost the same price I got it for.

I do not regret owning a Ferrari and once Ferrari build quality does go up, I will consider again in the future. It is quite nice to have an Italian exotic (dreaming of a Lambo although it feels more German) but at least in my case, it cannot be the only sports car in my garage unlike say a Porsche.

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hi Owen, thank you for your very detailed and candid appraisal, and it's fantastic to have someone who owned the exact 2 cars I was considering, although not surprising for Fchat to do so.

You have very much put your finger on it regarding my perceptions of the two cars (as I said in my original post, I did drive them both for review, but that's quite a few years ago now).

The one thing that struck me was that you thought the Cali with HS was only average in terms of handling. I remember it being quite fun and engaging. But I suppose if you're measuring it objectively, it's quite heavy, etc compared to a 911.

I would drive the Cali on weekends in summer, and yes it would annoy me if it were malfunctioning, as I'd never drive it, which is one reason why I'm not considering a 60s classic (setting up carbs, etc). I own other Ferraris but the most recent is a 2006 430 Spider. Sounds like you had a very bad electronic experience with your Cali. Which makes me think twice...

Curiously, my Ferraris, which date from mid 90s to mid 2000s, are among the most reliable cars I've ever owned...just get in them and drive them every time. But they don't have the super complex electronics of the most recent cars.

Food for thought. Thank you.

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    FWIW I think most gremlins were issues that you would fix as the original owner.

Unfortunately, many people who buy these cars either don't drive them enough or like to flip cars, so the cars either don't have enough miles with each successive owner and/or the owners don't hang around long enough to stay on the dealers to fix the problems. My problems were all due to issues due to minor assembly line hiccups. The only wear-tear issue were the engine mounts which my tuner's mechanic spotted before I noticed them. Gearbox supports (discussed on another thread) may also require regular inspection.

I actually like the complex software that controls my Cali30 HS which also has HELE, making it even more complex. These systems make the car take on somewhat of a complex life of its own as it's never 100% the same or entirely predictable every time I drive it; which makes it more fun and interesting to own. I'd be driving along and then it would suddenly do some fun aggressive thing unexpectedly because I was aggressive with it earlier. I would then try to figure out how to make it do it again but it's never 100% controllable. This is not for everyone as some people may get startled or frustrated, especially if there's more than one regular driver, with different driving habits.

20. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've owned my 13 Cali 30 for about 2.5 years now and purchased a 14 991 turbo S a little over a year ago.
    Probably the best attribute for the Cali is that is truly usable daily as apposed to previous Ferraris I've owned from the 80's and 90's.
    I've had no mechanical faults with the Cali with exception of a dead battery. The 7 year service program is a big benefit.
    As others have stated the Ferrari is definitely more of an event car than the 911. However the Turbo S is pretty aggressively styled as far as 911's go so and it does get some attention. The Cali however gets quite a bit more. The Porsche is a tad faster but the Ferrari experience is more intense especially the sound. In the 911 it feels as I sit lower and the car fits more like a glove surrounding me. They have really mastered the feel of the car after 50 plus years. It feels perfect. As far as use we mostly drive the 911 to and from work or if we are heading to downtown for a night out. If we are heading to an upscale area we are comfortable taking the Ferrari and will take that to the nicest places.
    We always take the Ferrari for special weekends up the coast or to the desert. We would have no reservation taking the 911 and would be incredibly fun. It's just that the Cali makes a special weekend more so. You can use the rear seats about equally in both cars for small kids or an adult that has had a few beverages for a short ride:)
    I think the 911 rides a tad softer than the Cali unless you bump the 911 suspension setting to sport or sport plus.
    In summary both cars are near perfection. The driving experience is slightly different but very close.
    For picking a car to drive it comes down to my mood and how much attention I want on a particular day.
    These are great choices and a "luxury problem" decision you need to make.
    Congrats to that and good luck. Either situation you will be pleased. I say Cali if you have to choose one.
    My wife would say 911. But then I know she would miss the Cali on weekends away.
    She says she likes to fly under the radar but she picks the 911 most days over five other more conservative car choices we have.
    Its her first Porsche and a dream for her.

tomc and rob lay like this.
  21. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Going back to the Cali30, please do not get me wrong because a softer car is actually fun and playful like say a Mazda MX-5 (although in a completely different category) and its the opposite of a serious sports car like say, Porsches.

I sincerely hope to get back in a newer Ferrari again in the near future once I feel that they are building better quality cars. I just can't accept Ferrari people making excuses saying that their cars have "character" since it's "temperamental". I was tempted a bit when I saw a low mileage F12 on sale recently. But after recalling my Cali experience, I didn't want to go through the hassle again.

22. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    You should buy a Toyota or Honda if reliability is most important requirement. I own 2 Toyota's,

A Ferrari is very expensive to drive. I personally have had no issues with my California T.

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    As I recall, you had quite an ordeal with your Cali (was it ever resolved?), so I do not blame your reticence to hop back into the fray. Modern F-cars seem much more reliable than their predecessors based on my F-chat reading (and perhaps a tinge of confirmation bias) - but that's always of little consolation when it's your car with the gremlins. OwenC - I hope you can get back into an F-car soon, and it's a real peach...T

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, I get that the Cali30's ride is relatively soft compared to other Fcars and the high-end 911s. The Cali was designed to appeal to a broad audience including 1st-time Fcar buyers and women. So it had to be comfortable and practical when driven on a daily basis. The HS option for the Cali30 corrects most of the complaints about "soft" handling because the base Cali30 really didn't take hard cornering very competently.

The HS option uses stiffer Eibach springs and you can use even stiffer aftermarket springs. I currently have Novitech springs on my HS Cali30 and they are not harsh at all even though the Novitech spring rates are actually higher than those on the 991.1 GT3 - I find them very comfortable. You can make the Cali quite "butch" if you want to.

The lower reliability of Fcars compared to Pcars can probably be attributed to a number of reasons. I think the biggest two are because modern Fcars are often completely new models/new technology coupled with very low production numbers. OTOH the 911 is evolutionary and inherits many designs and components from earlier iterations and are made in the hundreds of thousands while there were only about 2500 Cali30 made. Therefore Ferrari is forever sorting out complicated new car designs - but this also has its advantages.

Fcars and Pcars have very different design intentions and driver appeal. Fcars are more exciting but require patience if there's a hiccup while Pcars are somewhat boring by comparison but are relatively more reliable and cheaper to maintain. So it's not necessarily temperamental cars or poor quality control, it's actually the nature of Ferrari purposely pursuing more radical design changes in order to deliver more excitement.

Put it this way, there are many thousands of happy Fcar owners so a single personal bad experience with one Fcar does not necessarily translate to guaranteed bad experiences with all Fcars. ;)

jumpinjohn likes this.