Thinking Hummer H1 | FerrariChat

Thinking Hummer H1

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Valenzo, Jul 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Call me crazy but I have a thing for the H1, always have and may always will, although owning one may change or cement that. I guess the fuel prices and the vogue ness of the Prius has made these rather inexpensive, 50k gets you a whole lot a H1

I've read a lot on various forums, I know now what years to look for and what not to get. I have yet to drive one. I can't justify an Alpha, but a diesel open top is all I need.

We recently purchased some land near the beach in NC, where we will eventually build a home. You can drive a 4x4 on the beach in some areas there which makes it very convenient in taking the whole family and gear, so I was originally thinking Jeep unlimited, but I keep going back to the H1 because of it size and abilities. I will also use it to drive to work, that too will be a rural country road.

Does anyone here have one? I'd like to hear from others and what you think about it as a driver. Is it just a pig or is it as useful and neat as it looks?

2. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2 4re Nut, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I'm just curious how you did that (screen capture) and what version of Fchat allows you to see post of different forums in one place. Scratching my head over that more than the correlation of burning oil.

4. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #4 4re Nut, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Happy to help...

Under "Quick Links" (see arrow) click either "New Posts" or "Today's Posts".

As for the screenshot I'm using one of the various extensions (add-ons in Firefox lingo) from the Chrome web store with that capability. Which browser are you using?

A way to do it via Windows is to do a "print screen" which usually is accomplished by holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the "PRT SCRN" key or something with a similar abbreviation. This copies an image which you can then paste into another application like Paint for editing/saving.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I appreciate the help on the 'Quick links' boy that will make things easier.

As far as screen print, I'm brought to you by an IPad, it's a bit limiting on features like that and if Im able to do it on this thing, I have no clue. I recently switched to iMac, it's quite the learning curve, sometimes I have to go back to one of my windows computers just to give my brain a break

6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good to hear; I did my good deed for the week. :D

Though my name is Steve, I'm no help with Apple products. :D

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thanks Steve. I'm loving this quick links, where has it been all of my Fchat life!

Now I can see who is online all at once and what the hell they are interested in. Very voyeuristic.

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No help yet on the H1 but at least you learned a couple FChat tips. :D

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Can you share a summary of what you've learned?

I've always been interested, too.

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You could go this route: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/02/am-general-to-offer-civilian-humvee-kit-car/

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    No thank you.

I'm still in lust with the Hummer H1. Yes I know it's a pig, yes i know it only gets 9 MPG, and yes, I recently watched an old episode of Top Gear where JC, completely bashed the H1 for its terrible handling and noise factor, but... I still like it

What does it matter if it only gets 9 mpg, my only intentions with it is to drive on the beach and occasionally drive to my office, both are less than 9 miles rt. So for $4 spent, I had a great time.

Something about the space inside, the seat configurations, the fact I can wire the whole thing up to receive Wifi, with a big screen monitor and I can communicate with my office with satcom, Internet, and teleconferencing while on the beach in 4 ft of sand, and a fishing pole mounted to my front bumper, it's very appealing

what I found out, as in all cars, buy the newest year you can afford. Ideally an 06 Alpha, but personally, I can't justify spending 140k on a glorified fishing pole.

So, an '03 H1 with a 6.5l Diesel, soft top is all I need and I can do this for under 45k. Plus all the techy stuff I can add on later. My kids will love it, and so will I

It's high on my next foolish car list, the only list I posses.

12. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am not big on GM cars. But I will say this an H1 with a factory Duramax Turbo diesel .... one bad a** m*** ***** ride! Hope you can find one. :)

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Buy it. Worst thing that can happen is you end up hating it. Better that than not having experienced something you lust after... After all, it seems like it would be a no harm no foul situation if it didn't work out.

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    OK you said it so yes,you ARE crazy.Sorry,but you asked for it!

I seriously think you should spend some time with one.In my previous life I had an opportunity to spend several hours in one,both as the driver & as a passenger.It is so friggin' wide I couldn't believe it.It's so large,it should have it's own zip-code.Surprisingly,the inside was not very roomy,for a vehicle with a girth that the H1 has.

The cool thing was we got to take it on an "obstacle" course,driving over every imaginal terrain,including scaling rock walls,fording streams,etc.Absolutely insane what that vehicle will do.However............and you said it,the mileage is laughable.Try and find a regular place to park it.It's width is a detriment in close traffic,city driving.

Did I say it's impractical yet? Now if you live in the wilderness and have unlimited resources regarding fuel,and are anticipating the Zombie apocalypse,or urban combat,then by all means have at it.But there are probably several other vehicles that will pretty much do the same things without all the angst..........IMHO :)

It is however,as the other posts pointed out,one bada-s MF,no doubt about it.The question is of course,at what price in inconvenience are you willing to endure?

Sorry,but you asked.

15. BigK

BigK Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Playa Del Rey,CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Williams
    I own one [1998 HMCO turbo diesel aka Soft Top H1] and have used it as a daily driver in So Cal for about the past 6 years.

In Anzo Borrego Desert:
    [​IMG]

Climbing Wheeler Ridge [50 miles SE roughly from Yosemite]:
    [​IMG]

Afton Canyon on the old Mojave Road with a few friends:

[​IMG]

I can answer any questions you have.

Generally speaking, they're fun trucks, a blast to drive, provided that you realize that it is a military tactical truck, not a trophy truck or corvette :).

That is it was originally designed to tow a howitzer off road at 35mph, convoy down the highway at 55mph, and shoot n' run at soviet tanks with a tow missile at the Fulda Gap.

Generally speaking, the older trucks starting with the 1992 LE, are closer to form and function to a basic m998A2 humvee, and are generally super reliable with basic options and less electronics.

Newer years introduced newer features and refinements. Better soundproofing and more power.

They are generally heavy and underpowered. They are large but not wider than a typical domestic dually pickup truck.

Generally you brake down H1's like so:

1992-1993 6.2 NA Diesel, 3 speed transmission
    1995-1996 6.5 NA Diesel, 4 speed transmission and introduction of the 6.5 Turbo
    [There's also a few hundred 5.7L Gas Chevy V8's produced during this period]
    1996-1998 6.5 Turbo Diesels standard, more refinement
    1999-2003 6.5 Turbo Diesel with ABS brakes and electronic traction control, eaton locker options
    2004 6.5 Turbo with new engine computer, new interior, standard lockers
    2006 6.6L Duramax with Alison 1000 transmission, standard lockers, final official production year
    2007 [rare] K-series fleet trucks, similar to 2004.

Early model years featured a 3 speed transmission with a 6.2 NA V8 Detroit Diesel/GM engine. Four wheel disc brakes are inboard mounted on the torsen differentials which allow you to CTM/BTM [using the brakes and throttle to lock the differentials if you lose traction]. These mostly dominate the first few years, until the 6.5 option with the 4L80E-HD transmission became available in 1994.

A rare Whipple supercharger kit exists for the early hummers, it's a nice power boost but only a few dozen trucks have that option

These earlier trucks are super reliable provided you keep up with nominal wear and tear and maintenance issues [mostly suspension/steering components]. The ACME brand A/C/HVAC sucks, and is generally a non serviceable part. The ****ty A/C system persisted until mid 1997 model year where it received a completely serviceable unit during the middle of the 1997 run and has been used from 97.5 to 2006. Some older trucks have received the post 1997 HVAC system as an upgrade kit [about $3000].

Another downside to the early trucks, your max highway speed is basically 55mph.

When the line shifts to the 6.5 engine and the 4 speed, then you can go generally 70-80mph but the truck drives best at the legal speed limit 65mph.. past that you're just blowing diesel out the exhaust.

The mid 1990's was a big transition year. CARB required emissions testing, which is why you had a V8 chevy version produced for 2 model years while AM general was working on bringing over the EFI Turbo V8 to production [the 6.2 and 6.5 NA diesel was mechanical injection]

The gas v8 is simple to fix, it's a very common engine that anyone can work on. It's very quiet but as you can imagine, the fuel economy isn't that hot. Say 7-10mpg vs 10-14mpg for the diesel.

Now while on the subject of gas, there's 4-5 factory trucks out there with a 8.1L Vortec gas engine, that provides decent power, most of these trucks are 2000-2002 time frame and will have GM Desert proving ground stickers on one of the windows. These are exceptionally rare. Arnold has one, another one is in the hands of a private collector, and the other 2 are rumored to be in the hands of AM general execs.

The big transition in the mid 1990s was to the turbo diesel 6.5. More power [~205 hp and 450 ft/lb of torque] and the standard option.

During 1998 AM general started making all the various extra options standard. Heated Windshields [made by an aircraft manufacturer] , deluxe interior [vinyl padding instead of just plastic panels] , monsoon sound system, etc.

1999 things were retooled again to meet federal transportation guidelines with the addition of ABS, with ABS they introduced a traction control computer [actually using a range rover WABCO part] and called it TT4. They also had to change the ratio of the torsen bias differential.

It sucked. Big time, you couldn't use the normal BTM techniques off road, and the TT4 would get hanged up. So often you had to gently keep spinning the wheels until the computer kicks in and starts locking up the driving for you to redistribute your torque.

AM general countered this by offering the very good Eaton E-locker kit. The AM General H1 specific version of this locker operates as a limited slip differential when turned off [the other e-lockers that eaton makes for other vehicles has it fully open when unlocked].

If I purchased a TT4*ABS truck today, I'd add the eaton locker, at least for the rear axle, it's nice to have.

That being said, there isn't any other major changes from 1998 to 2004 other than minor refinements and a more reliable 6.5 Turbo engine being installed [VIN code F instead of Z].

Which brings up a big point about the 6.5 Turbo diesel.

A casting problem was introduced during the early production run of the blocks. It was most common during the 1998-1999 years and was not limited to just Hummer but also GM pickup trucks, marine motors, box trucks, etc.

The cooling of the #8 cylinder was not adequate and the block would crack at the #8 cylinder. You can google GM #8 cylinder problem for the break down for this. Many engines were replaced under warranty, so a turbo truck with a factory replaced engine would be desirable if you are buying used.

This post is running really long so I'll wrap it up for now:

1992-1993 6.2 reliable, 55mph max speed, loud, crappy AC [if any]
    1994-1996 6.5 reliable, higher top speed, not as loud, still crappy AC
    1994-1995 5.7 gas reliable, common engine, quiet, worse mileage, crap AC
    1996-1997.5 6.5 Turbo, can be prone to #8, more power, more quiet, crap AC
    1997.5-1998 6.5 Turbo, can be prone to #8, upgraded AC and heat
    1999-2003 6.5 Turbo, newer F diesel block, upgraded AC, ABS Brakes and TT4 system
    2004 6.5 Turbo with CAT engine management computer, Lockers standard, new interior
    2006 6.6L Duramax with Alison transmision, super quiet, tons of power, 80-90 mph+ all day long, good towing. Most used 2006's are still north of $100,000.

Price range for an H1 will run $20K to $150K depending on options and conditions, $30-50K with catch up maintenance will get you a really nice H1.

Of course reliable is relative. We're talking about a limited production run, hand build used truck that can be up to 20 years old, condition and previous maintenance is an important consideration.

Good resources to search for hummer stuff on:

hummer network has the largest h1 specific forum
    flash off road has a lot of technical articles
    adventure accessories was one of the original h1 dealers, they have a break down of all truck and model year changes
    predator motorsports is one of the performance h1 guys you can buy a beater h1, tow it to this shop and they'll do a frame off restoration for you and customize it with any drivetrain and option you want.
    rubber duck 4x4 is on the east cost, they do a lot of after market stuff as well

I can get into more specific details on anything ... let me know.

16. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Now THAT is a comprehensive analysis! Thanks.
    I believe you would qualify as a SME (subject matter expert) for the H1.
    Your experience is at the polar opposite of mine,but I would certainly defer to your vast knowledge of the vehicle,since you use yours as a DD.
    Always gets back to "how are you going to use it".
    And your'e right......it's not a trophy truck or a Corvette :) 7-10 MPG
    When the Zombie Apocalypse comes,maybe I'll wish I had one :D

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Comprehensive indeed!

Thanks, BigK!

19. BigK

BigK Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Playa Del Rey,CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Williams
    Clean truck for 100K miles, but it's an H1 with 100,000 miles, If it had 10,000 miles it might be worth 50K. For 50K you should be getting a newer model year with the turbo diesel at a minimum with more options.

A 100K mile 94 should go for around 25,000-30,000 on the high end. They did a paint/detail, added a leather seat package [$500 for factory style, $1000 will get you custom made seats] a few accessories and really gaudy [in my opinion] wheels.

So they probably paid $20,000 trade in for it, put about $10,000 into it for paint, custom seats and bolt on racks & brush guard provided it wasn't on the truck to begin with, added some bedliner and some rock star style rims and toyo MT's and marked it up $20k. It might sell to an uneducated buyer. It does look nice though.

I'm a big nit pick when it comes to H1 wheels, you go OEM spec which limits you to either GT Cepek wheels [which meet certification from AM general] or the factory Hutchinsons [aluminum 16.5" or 17" wheels] or the miltiary style steel wheels.

The reason is that H1's have a geared hub assembly with a 2:1 reduction gear on each wheel [disc brakes are inboard inside the frame rails]. This introduces a large backset [7" if i recall] very few wheels met that and the weight rating [usually H1 spec wheels are 3200-4500 lbs weight rating per wheel].

If you look at the front pictures you'll notice the tires stick out a few inches from the body, this is why, the wheels are not the correct backset, if you take that truck off road and have full suspension compression on one corner, you'll crack the fiberglass hood or rub the tire on the rear aluminum fender.

Plus the non hummer spec wheels won't have the safety bead on the rim, it will lack the runflat/double beadlock option and no provisions for CTI which brings up my next point about those wheels.

You have a expensive CTI air system installed on that truck but it won't work with those wheels, which leads me to believe the system is non functional, needs service due to leaks, or they just bypassed it.

A good article on the wheel system:

http://www.flashoffroad.com/features/Wheels/Wheels.htm

That being said, that 1994 has the HVAC upgrade which is good, the latest AC system will have a Delco GM Style 3 knob control panel. Anything that has sliders, or push buttons or a recirculation button is the old system.

That truck would be a good buy at around $30K and switch the wheels out for something more appropriate.

20. BigK

BigK Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Playa Del Rey,CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Williams
    Nice rig, But it's not the rare slantback. If it was a 2000 factory slant back then it would easilly get 60K+

It's a 4 door hard top [HMC4] with a California Gold / Gypsy Rack aluminum slant back cap over the pickup bed.

Non CTIS wheels would indicate to me that the CTIS system is non functional or disabled. $40-45K truck on the higher side.

A true factory slant back will have a more rounded profile on the terminating edge of the slant going into the rear fenders, plus it will have a heated rear windshield and wiper, along with a full interior with carpet and plastic trim opening up into the main cab.

21. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Were the slant-backs limited to a few model years?

22. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Like this, its 114k. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hummer-h1-slantback-original-1-39-ever-made-extras-40-tires-4-lift-/160855977957?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2573c36fe5

23. BigK

BigK Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Playa Del Rey,CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Williams
    That one is the factory slant back. They only made them in 2000.

They made a prototype slantback in 1991 for Arnold [it's the tan truck with the terminator decal on the rear fender you see sometimes in West LA] and AM General had a hell of a time to get it to not leak.

The military HMMWV's are not water night, it was not a requirement.

The 2000 Slantbacks were a limited run. Theres 3 main theories why it was limited to one model year, one was that AM general could never get them to not leak and didn't want to retool/re-engineer the thing all over again.

The 2nd rumor was that CalGold/Gypsy rack sued them for copying a similar design they made for military trucks.

The 3rd rumor was they weren't a hot seller with many buyers wanted the more practical wagon version instead.

Another rare variation is the 2002 10th anniversary edition. Around 50-60 wagon trucks were produced, they had a metallic copper paint job, tan interior with custom stitched logos on the seats, a custom decal on the rocker panel production and copper powder coated highlights on the aluminum wheels. I believe they had a custom x of x production plaque on the dash. It may have had other custom trim bits.

Those were popular with collectors, I know a exporter in Los Angeles who personally sent 10 of those to Japan for collectors there.

Otherwise wagons and soft tops are the most common configurations. Then followed by rarity by the HMC4, the four door hard top pickup with exposed bed, the slant back, and then the 2 door pickup model.

Like any limited production run vehicle, as long as you do some research on what you are getting, you'll do fine.

I've seen too many guys jump in to the first h1 they see on a lot, turns out its not at all what they expected, or it needed a few thousand dollars in catch up repairs and the truck winds up for sale again in a few months :(

California and Florida would have the largest number of trucks for sale if the OP was planning on buying out of state.

I know in southern California, Eurocar, DC motors and Predator has their trucks all checked out by a very experienced AM general tech with a major C service. They charge top dollar for used trucks but they fix/upgrade everything on them.

There's a few other places near me, Santa Monica Range Rover on Lincoln gets a few clean trucks in from time to time, there's another place in Marina Del Rey, Checkered flag I recall. They had 2 H1's once, one was a really bad kit car and the other was legit, but the service wasn't done right. Wood trim screws in the interior, bad interior over spray, and they did the alignment wrong and left the tie rod/radius arm clamps facing the wrong way so it was grinding into the rim and tire.. :p

I pointed that out to them and they were like "We're H1 experts" and walked away... yeah I bet.

24. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    What's your price range?

I owned a '98 HMCO for 12 years and absolutely loved the truck. But I sold it due to the fact that I could maintain a Murcielago for less $$ (and I'm doing all the work). The truck's require almost constant maintenance, which for the most part is very simple and cheap. But if there is a geared hub issue, CTIS leak that you can't find, TC vampire leak, or '97.5-'00 cylinder 8 crack, or rust/aluminum corrosion between top & body; it's not going to be cheap.

I like '98 the best because it's the last year for BTM off road system (non-TT4) and is the first year for the updated interior.

Look for a truck with maintenance history, a truck that looks good could easily need $20k in maintenance. humvee.net is a good place to go for questions.

As long as you don't want to go fast, the H1 is a great truck. I put over 70k miles on mine, two cross country trips, lots of off roading, and city driving.

1998:
    [​IMG]

2002:
    [​IMG]

2010:
    [​IMG]

Nick