Thinking about repalcing heavy facory bumpers, '79 GTS | FerrariChat

Thinking about repalcing heavy facory bumpers, '79 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, Oct 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I know this has been discussed, here and there, over the years, but,
    Currently, what are my options for something like looks respectable (not cheesy), and will fit without a mountain of work?

I don't want something all shiny and wavy like a cheap gelcoated fiberglass piece, it can BE fiberglass, but needs to be straight, and have the same sort of appearance as a factory bumper, it can be recessed ala the euro models, or even be extended like the US ones, i just want something that looks original and doesn't add a couple hundred pounds weight to the car.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Superformance has some fibreglass Europsec bumpers. You will have to fabricate the brackets.
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/body.html
    I have one on my '79 GTS rear. The original rusted from the inside out.
    I just shortened the brackets on my original front bumper

Attached Files:

3. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    308gts79 and ragtop1 like this.
  4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thank you for that info.
    I believe I read that one needs a Euro grill if using a Euro style front bumper? Correct?

I can weld, so brackets are no problem.

Getting those heavy bumpers off, and getting rid of the heavy spare, and installing a lightweight Lithium ion starter battery, would take gob of weight off,

And improve the polar moment of inertia of the car, dunno how noticeable that would be though.
    Thanks,
    Doug

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #6 kcabpilot, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Probably not as much as you're imagining. The bumpers are heavy but really by the time you've burned through about eight gallons of gas you've lost that much. Bring a pal along and omg, you've gone off the charts weight-wise. We're not racing, people just make too much of this.

Brian A likes this.
  7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    That's not wrong from a static weight view, but people and gas are stored in the center of the car where they have the least affect on turning. Bumpers are at the very end of the car and have the most leverage. Spare tire and battery are right over the front axle and would have effects on steering and turn-in. Oh, and if you have one of the thermal reactors hanging off the back end, those things are really heavy and will have a big effect on handling.

But we aren't racing. I'd be interested in seeing if I could even tell the difference on the street. And if you are seeking all-out performance with a 308 you have selected the wrong platform right from the start.

(I'd still do it.)

8. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well...
    I got rid of the cats and heavy factory exh decades ago and put an Anza sport exh on at that time.

8 gal of gas weighs about eh, 50 lbs.

A Li Ion battery weighs 12 lbs vs 45 lbs for a lead acid battery.

The spare has do be at least 35 lbs, if not, it sure feels like it trying to get it in and out of the tire well.

I dunno how much the factory US bumpers weight, but someone suggested they were 60 or more pounds each with that big chunk of cast iron in each one.

With the exh change, that comes up to ~225 lbs saving , estimated, which is significant on a 3200 lb car. My motor puts out about ~310 hp, anyway, so the reduced weight would just quicken it up some more. Not having the heavy York AC compressor saves a bunch, the removal of the air pump and heavy header heat shields helped, too.

An Alum radiator would also be an advantage vs that heavy stock unit. A few pounds here,a few pounds there, adds up to significant weight.

Doug

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd love to have your take offs....but proceed.

I think the repros are fine and it's all in the gloss of the paint, IMO.
    Satin finish replicates the "look" of the rubber.

I saw a set Gloss Black and it was just "wrong".
    I would not push them in "too far" also as our metal is getting rare and hard to find....

10. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Weight definitely matters. I think the US cars were about 200-300 pounds heavier. Another place the US cars have extra weight is the doors.
    Even with a hi boost turbo euro car I can tell when I have extra fuel or a passenger on board. Acceleration is inversely proportional to mass.