Thinking about doing a Kevlar paint coat on my Jeep Wrangler... | FerrariChat

Thinking about doing a Kevlar paint coat on my Jeep Wrangler...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ttn27, Jul 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    #1 ttn27, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a '13 Jeep wrangler unlimited sport and initially want to do a matte black wrap (cost about 3k). When I saw this Kevlar paint coat on this Jeep at American Wheel and Tire, I really like it a lot.

I was told that this Kevlar coat is new on the market and it can last a long time, not like the wrap which can peel at edges and corners and you probably have to replace it in a few years. Also, you can do it in a matte, gloss (the pic below) or semigloss finish in any color. It has some texture to it and I was told it looks better in the gloss than a matte finish since the Kevlar paint also has a dull or flat paint look to it already.

The cost to do the entire Jeep in the Kevlar coat is about 4K. I was wondering if anybody has done this Kevlar coat before and what is your opinion about this Kevlar paint coat?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Don't know one blessed thing about this process, but I would simply note that "Kevlar" in and of itself is simply a fiber. The woman who invented that fiber (while working for DuPont) recently passed away.

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    A wrap is reversible. This isn't.

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    You should look at just giving it an entire coating of Plasti Dip spray. I wanted black wheels on my new Wrangler but just wanted to try it out without spending a lot of time/hassle. I read some stuff on other car forums about people using Plasti Dip spray on various car areas with excellent results. So I picked up four spray cans at Lowes for $6 each, washed my wheels and sprayed them black. The nice thing about Plasti Dip is that it's pretty durable yet you can peel it off easily if you get tired of it or want to change the color or something. My wheels have gone off roading a few times and through the car wash several times and they still look perfect. The color is a slightly textured matte black like that Kevlar paint.

My guess is you could do an entire Wrangler with maybe 15 cans.... That's one per fender area with two for big stuff like the hood putting about four coats on so it's nice and thick.

5. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    That looks like LineX. A lot of guys have used LineX with good results before. it's flexible, so it shouldn't crack easily.

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'd look into Line-X. Same look, really durable, and colors are available. Very common on trail jeeps.