Thinking about a new SUV | FerrariChat

Thinking about a new SUV

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by LetsJet, Sep 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  2. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Toureg...or go for a station wagon...suv's suck :)

3. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Toureg is an SUV.
    I love SUV's they sit higher and are heavy and safe.
    The new Infinity FX45 is cool, lower center of gravity,
    fast and looks cool. IMHO.
    Good luck on your hunt for a rig.

4. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I agree. The FX45 has great power and looks. You could not go wrong with an FX45 or FX35 for that matter. The FX35 will be priced closer to the JGC you are interested in and even in that format it is no slouch. You can probably find a used FX45 in the $40K range if you look around. Go to Infiniti's website to check out the FX45/35 or better yet go to an Infiniti dealership and test drive one.

5. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    $38K-$45K. How 'bout Acura MDX?

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Thanks for the replies, but maybe I need to be a bit more clear. I know there are many good SUV's available and I'd like to hear good reasons to select something over the JGC. I provided a link so you could read up on it if you don't know the specs.

JGC Ltd :

Quadra Drive II
    Hemi V8 330 HP / 375 lb-ft Torque <---- Big Plus
    Towing 7200 lbs <---- Big Plus
    Tire Pressure Monitoring Sys
    ABS, 4BTC, ESP
    GPS NAV Radio <---- Good sys.... I've used it in the 300c
    Hands Free Bluetooth connection <---- Good sys.... I've used it in the 300c
    Rear backup system
    Adj Pedals

7. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
  8. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I think the Toyota 4runner is unbeatable at $34k range. V8, 4x4, comfort, reliability, resale - you name it.

Good luck

9. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    A Jeep Grand Cherokee is about the worst possible choice you can make when buying an SUV. I am a used car dealer, and I can tell you the GC's don't bring squat at resale time because the vehicles are substandard.

Poor overall reliability, poor workmanship and body integrity, etc., etc. Just go pick up a Consumer Reports magazine - pretty self-explanatory.

It never ceases to amaze me people willing to actually buy these vehicles with all of the bad press, when they can go down and buy a solid Japanese SUV (except Mitsubishi) that practically never gives problems.

Buy at your own risk.

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Wowzers. Didn't know they were that bad...

11. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    What did you expect from Chrysler ???

12. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    There are some new SUV released in 2005, and that's what I am waiting to replace Excursion.

My choices are: VW Toureg, M-B Grand Sport Tourer (mbusa.com/thejouney), and Audi Pikes Peaks.

Acura MDX is also a strong candidate, but it's been out for while & due for model change in 1-2 years, I THINK.

JGC Ltd wasn't bad for me when I had it in the early 90's, but I would listen to HuskerNTexas's comment & do some own search. You, Eric, seems to like this car a lot, and that is one major factor buying a new car.

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I like Range Rovers. I have an 03. If you want I can swing by you or vice versa (you are in MD right?) and you can check it out.

15. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    very good point.. i dont know i single person who has not had problems with their cherokees over the past 5 years......the fx 35 and 45 do not handle or ride like a suv...they are on car chassis and handle very well and the fx 45 is quick with a nice exhaust note

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
  17. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    Yes, read his thread. He is looking for a new SUV $38K-$43K range- not a $100K SUV.
    PS. For monies no object- Range Rover, Infiniti QX56, Cayene turbo or s, Escalade SEV, MBZ AMG...

18. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    yes, but SUVs can use that little loophole for 6k lb+ trucks...

19. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    #19 htran, Sep 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    BLING! BLING! 23", but he lives in MD and HI, not south central LA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    If you can live with a Toyota name i would say go for a certified LX-470.I would think for 45K + you should be able to pick up a nice fully loaded '02 ( heated seats/Nav/entertainment sys/wood st wheel/adjustable ride height) just a thought.O btw JGC is the worst SUV in the market and i can never imagine owning one.
    Yasir

21. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    If your mainly looking for somthing good in the snown a subaru wargon esp the WRX is a great choise if your look in for somthing with 4X4 and a lot of towing get a F-350 Powerstoke or if your in moplar get a 3500 ram with a cummins. The point to think do your realy need a SUV ?

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hey guys,

I am aware of this....

The '05 JGC is 6100 GVWR. Yes, I'm in MD and have driven the RRover and it's a possibility but it doesn't have the power of the JGC.

Wow, JGC bashers........LOL... any of you have personal experiences?FYI........ I own two JGC, so I have real experience with reliability. One of them has 160K miles and drives good. Most people I know have had one issue or another w/ their SUV. When I purchased the first one, it was the only SUV with a V8. Keep in mind, I'm not spending $40K plus for this, so the G55 is out. Also, I think the reason Cherokees don't hold value is there are so many of them not reliability.

Yes, I realy need an SUV........
    No Bling, I hate chrome wheels. (on this)

I'm not wedded to the JGC........ but no one has been able to do an apples to apples comparison to the specs I listed. The closest I've seen is an '02 LX-470 for more money?

23. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

OOOOOh, all the rappers that live in New Orleans have had a bad influence on me...sorry.

You didn't catch the sarcasm in my post of the never gona stop spinas?! I guess they don't do sarcasm in Tracy? lol ;)

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I caught it............. It's been a long day....

25. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    That's my problem with the FX series... they are neither fish nor foul. It is not a sports wagon... it rides high, and is heavy. But it's not a truck either... 20" wheels and very limited cargo room.

Many people would respond by commenting that they won't be going off road anyway. The way I see it, there is a vast grey area between crossing the Rubicon, and light to moderate truck like duties. Can you hop a curb in an FX? Take it on the beach? Tow? If a truck can't readily perform these duties, then IMO it fails at it's main purpose. Better to get an S4 Avant if you want a sporty wagon.