Things to do Manhatten area | FerrariChat

Things to do Manhatten area

Discussion in 'Travel' started by phil the brit, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Not too sure what to see in Manhattan because only there two days but was thinking USS Intrepid and WTC memorial and maybe take a ride on Staten Island Ferry. In the evening probably just wing it for restaurants.
    I have heard it is a good place to buy a gold men's necklace and also some great antique places about. Any help on these two would be welcome. Any other suggestions for a couple of old farts are also welcome! We have been before a long time ago and have already been up Empire State Building. Does anybody have any thoughts on the tour bus trips around Manhattan?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The boat tour around the island is worthwhile and may also give you more ideas of things you want to see. Great for taking pictures, too. The bus tours are OK, but boat seemed better to me IMHO.

3. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Pizza. Other than New Haven or Brooklyn, Manhattan has some great pizza joints. Johns near Times Square is a bit touristy but good.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jkddad likes this.
  4. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Pizza
    My go-to slice is fresh motz at Joe’s in the village
    If the weather is good, I suggest walk and explore.
    High Line
    Chinatown for cheap dumplings and hand-pulled noodles
    Walk across the Brooklyn bridge and get pizza at Patsy’s
    I would not recommend winging it for food. There are some outstanding options and if you do the whole “let’s just walk until we find something that looks good,” imho, you are more likely to choose unwisely and miss something special.
    Have fun and be sure to post some pics of the highlights

5. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Phil:

Stop in at McSorley's Ale House for a few beers...15 E. 7th St. between 2nd and 3rd Ave. Also, order the cheddar cheese plate.

For pizza: try John's on Bleecker St. (east of 7th Ave.) or Lombardi's on Spring St.

For a pastrami sandwich: head to Katz's Deli on E. Houston St...avoid lunch-hour (huge lines).

Gold jewelry: walk along W. 47th St. between 5th and 6th Ave.

Oysters: AquaGrill on Spring St. or Grand Central Oyster Bar.

Steaks: I prefer Wolfgang's (several locations), Keen's Chop House or Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.

Other sure bets: Gotham Bar & Grill, Union Square Cafe, Balthazar, Minetta Tavern.

Walk through Eataly on Fifth Ave and 24th St.

Classy cocktails: the King Cole Bar at the St. Regis (55th & 5th) or Employees Only in the village.

Good luck!

PM me if you have specific questions...

Alan

Bundy, 95spiderman and cls like this.
  6. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Take Alan’s advice, he’s got you covered.

Cheers

7. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    The bus tours are worth it if you sit on the open upper deck. But you'll have to account for the weather. I was there in January, sat on the upper deck but was too damned cold.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Both excellent, and must do, choices!

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I've been to NYC over 100 times and never thought of taking that open top bus. Until my CEO on one such trip said "trust me" and told me to meet him and a friend at the stop near the Plaza. We had a blast. They brought some scotch aboard and proceeded to point out all of the significant architecture as we passed by. Weather was perfect (September). My favorite part was when my CEO said to his friend, "there's you family's old building, still one of my favorites" as we passed the Woolworth Building. I had no idea who the guy was :)

Now I'm a fan of these buses in several places (have subsequently taken them in a few places in Europe - Barcelona stands out as one great place for this). You could not have paid me to take one before that...turns out I was ignorant.

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Tenement museum on lower east side is a hidden gem. Is in a preserved tenement from 1900s with actors playing roll of immigrants. Italian, irish, jewish, etc. Fun and informative.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My wife took that tenement tour and absolutely loved it. I'm sorry I missed it but we intend to go back some day. As I recall there are two different tours and she had time for only one.

12. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Nice list, Alan. Thank you. Our son attends NYU Film School.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Many thanks to all that replied.
    We leave for Newark airport Friday morning. Got a friend to take us to Orlando airport. Can anyone tell me how easy the connecting busses between Newark and Midtown are to use please?
    Rgds
    Phil

14. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The buses are not your best bet since they have to transverse the Lincoln Tunnel (always a PITA). The quicker option is to take the train. New Jersey Transit has a train connecting EWR to Penn Station NYC...it makes only two stops and takes 15 minutes.

15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm thinking an uber XL might be better.

& i agree Alan has it covered

16. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Do the Ubers not have to go through the Lincoln tunnel then? I am looking at quickest route really and we only have two days in NYC until we have to get on the ship.

17. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Phil:

Yep...Ubers use the tunnel. Hence, if you’re in a hurry, the choo-choo train is your friend.

Alan

18. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Is that the Tisch school? My nephew graduates from there this year.

19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Yes. Cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Again, many thanks for everyones advice
    Rgds
    Phil

21. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I'm making my 7th trip from the UK to NYC later in the year (staying in NJ though) in town for a week 10/8 to 10/15
    If there's anything going on car-wise or any F-Chatters fancy a beer then shout - also hoping to attend the Giants game on the Thursday night.

22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Did you see giants game in london last year?

Stadium here is my least favorite one. Totally generic and no soul to it. at least Giants should be good with new running back shaquan and odelle healthy again. American athletes have excellent names.