Things to do in Galveston | FerrariChat

Things to do in Galveston

Discussion in 'Texas' started by PhilB, Aug 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    NYC person here. Been to Houston a bunch of times but never Galveston. Coming in with the wife for Labor Day weekend for a family event. Will have 2 nights and all day Friday free.

Any recommendations? Places to eat, things to do, etc?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I’d spend your time in Houston and skip Galveston... I grew up on the west side of Houston. Only a few trips to Galveston and really only for the beach with dark murky water...

Go for the gulf seafood and of course the bar b q in the big city.

Robb

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Been there, but only for work. Not much to do that I can think of off the top of my head. The beach is OK, but not great IMO. Maybe try brunch at Hotel Galvez or visit Moody Gardens. If you have any budding young scientists in the family, you can check out Baytown and see chemicals being made by the ton!
    T

4. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    San Luis Hotel is the nicest place down there, nice restaurants and bar inside, along with a pool and cabanas outside. The strand is another place to check out. Fishing if you are into it, but it will be hot.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Visit the Moody Mansion and Bishops House. Willie G’s restaurant on the pier ( also the museum about the hurricane that destroyed Galveston), Salt Air restaurant down by the Strand, ride the ferry over the channel, as above Moody Gardens. The Strand has a bunch of shops and a great ice cream shop. Ride down Seawall Blvd, south of Galveston. Boat tour (leaves from the Willie G pier)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan S. likes this.
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Labor Day? Hmmmm….

I like the old Galvez pool the best, swim up bar and a Spa for the ladies!
    On Strand is also the tall ship Elissa, in addition to the Great Storm movie house, plus 1 on Wilie Gs but really Gaidos is the grande dame of the island.
    That said my "go to" is Black Pearl Oyster bar, and the locals eat at Shrimp and Stuff.

Moody Gardens, sure. Worked on that, ran across picture with the FIRST pyramid going up.

Ferry ride is a cool way to burn time but NOT that weekend as the lines will be XXX Hours waiting!
    So..just don't.

Water quality has been exceptional this year but I vote for East Beach, because closer to town along the Flagship Pier amusement the bacteria counts go up.
    Sometimes WAY up...there's a website to show them. That's why I rinse after surfing at the Galvez!!

I think the coolest thing is the Turtle Training Center, NOAA hatches the cute little things and then trains them to find the TED in the shrimp net, before letting them go! But on the holiday I doubt its open...but check and see... nothing is cuter than 100 little turtles looking up at you from their individual pails!!

Old Quarter Café, live music most nights, and also the Opera House 1894.
    Check in closer to the date or remind me I will come down and tour you, if needed or just double check what's going on.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We are building 90 Sandcastles this weekend, AIA Annual event.

East Beach traffic will be maddening.
    I am going the night before or 6AM at the latest, on the sand.

Houston FCA just cruised to the Galvez Sunday Brunch which is very good, indeed

Ryan S. likes this.
  8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Do what BigTex says. He's the local subject matter expert.

9. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Moody Gardens

BigTex likes this.