Things Just Got Real | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Things Just Got Real

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Cold start is pretty good for sure.

wrs and SoCal to az like this.
  2. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Right after start up did you close the valves? Sounds like something closes after start up then gets quieter

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #428 Shadowfax, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Not sure about that. I think a better way of clarifying whether there would be any benefits would be by looking at what changes Ferrari makes to the set up on the cup version (brake ducting, rear diffuser etc). From what was explained, Ferrari designed Pista's under-body aero around the stock ride height. I'd agree lowering should reduce center of gravity but that may only give benefits if everything else on the car has been adjusted accordingly. I would also agree stiffer springs would need to be used but then what about the calibration of the shocks?
    But I would agree the wheel gap and stance is very pedestrian and reeks of mass production - most definitely nothing special going on there.

Again not sure there. Those few I know who have Pista's all track them and drive pretty hard. None plan to lower but not saying there won't be some that do. With Porsche they have Manthey racing who have set the car up taking all things into consideration. To do it right involves more than just a set of stiffer lowering coils. Don't forget Ferrari put a lot of R and D into Pista to get it to drive and handle the way it does. Not sure if I want to screw with that without having some factory involvement and advice on how to get everything proper. The brake cooling efficiency is also a big part of that.

The valves close immediately upon move off and reopen only upon stationary idle. The rest of the openings are controlled by the ECU depending upon throttle position, rpms and engine load. The Pista does certainly quieten right up when the valves close.

LVP488 and of2worlds like this.
  4. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Ah! Ok, as soon as you put it into drive, that's when the valves close. Got it now per your reply and re-watched the video. Didn't know if it gave you control over it manually, but guess computer does it :)

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah as soon as the car moves off the line they close and it isn't until you give it some relatively decent throttle that they reopen but as soon as you back off they close up. In sporty type driving the noise is pretty well there all the time because you are constantly powering on and only backing off under brake into corner so it doesn't seem that the car goes quiet as the period is so short between power on power off movements iykwim. In regular driving is mainly where the quiet problem is because you have more off throttle than on throttle moments and when you are on throttle it's relatively light throttle input which usually isn't enough to make the valves open.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Delivery height is higher due to the packing which is removed during pre delivery. Once the packing has been removed the car can be driven on regular road so I would find it hard to believe they would have left the packing in on cars doing track test demos and the likes. It isn't so much that the F8 sits too high but more so the fact the wheel gap proportion was poorly designed for the type of car it is. The car should not have such a massive wheel arch gap especially at the rear.....looks stupid. I've seen family sedans with less of a wheel gap. Shame on Ferrari given most their marketing propaganda shows the car with no wheel gap at all. Was much the same with 488gtb where the professional photos they gave all had the car looking like it was sitting on the bump stops where as in reality the car was jacked up like a family sedan. Very bad form imho.

buddyg, of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    As you know the cup cars are completely different so tough to compare but they do sit very low in fact they will definitely scrape along parts of a given track. The underside of the Pista is basically flat except for the small air routing plastic things which I believe are designed to send air to the brakes to help with cooling. To your point however, the wheels I had made for my car fill the rear gap quite a bit, it looks more appropriate. With the larger diameter rear wheel you really dont need to lower the car.

Adding stiffer springs would be just a very basic starting point and I do agree it needs to be packaged if you are looking to increase performance and balance. I will say however there is a compromise that the mnfr has to make, on the one hand the car has to be compliant enough to drive on the street but with a sporty feel and also perform at some level on the track. They also have to keep in mind that people have to be able to drive up ramps or steep driveways. The aftermarket exists to allow the owner to tweak accordingly to their needs/tastes. Not all of these aftermarket companies are created equal though, some do their homework and others are just good at marketing.

My new shop has some challenge drivers coming in to do a private event for some of my friends and customers. It will be interesting to get their feedback compared to an actual race car.

Caeruleus11, Shadowfax and of2worlds like this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I didn’t do anything. Valves are all stock so I have no way of closing them or opening them. It’s just normal revving.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Shadow is testing a valve controller but I dont know the status. Perhaps he will chime in.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Does anyone have the factory alignment specs for a 488?

Does anyone know the ride height specs and possibly what the ride height was for the press cars that did track test events?

11. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had a Capristo valve controller installed on mine. I keep the valves open at all times and it works great

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #437 Shadowfax, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    It's going real good Gh. I truly don't think you need more than this. Also nice to shut it off to stock after being on it for a while around town but i find it certainly makes quite a difference soundwise at regular speeds and its pretty effective in clearing off stubborn mules in front on the way out of city limits (today was a good example - took the 2 down and bought Pista back up - awesome back to back experience - much needed therapy). I'd seriously put it on straight away if were you. It fixes a few things. Once out in the wild you don't need it but around town it's gold.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    A keeper for sure! What tallent!

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thank you, which mnfr is it?

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Forza Componeti located in Scottsdale not far from you guys.

Gh21631 likes this.
  16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Interesting, just found their website:

http://forzacomponenti.com/

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It definitely works and the car sounds really great cruising through tunnels and around town now. It isn't any louder on idle as the valves are open anyway then, but move away off the line and that level of sound sound stays all the time with it on and increases with the throttle load. I'd be very surprised to hear a Pista owner not think it's an improvement from how it sounds without it.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. PistaGuyAZ

PistaGuyAZ Karting

Apr 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Woon
    You can also just disconnect the valves on a Pista. It works with no issues.

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #444 Shadowfax, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    For sure. The result is the same except for you cant put it back to stock setting so the ECU can do its job properly in keeping the boost fully on the boil when you want to get right on it. I found with it on, if you come in fast into a signed 25kph hairpin or U corner, come off throttle momentarily for the hard braking and then reapply throttle hard to drive it out hard the engine momentarily hesitates. It's as if the engine is finding its step again in building the boost level back. It's not a huge thing but it feels better with the stock setting in those situations - no hesitation in power recovery or linearity from low rpms. The feeling kinda reminded me how the GTB would behave if in sports setting when reapplying the throttle back on hard out of a tight corner - which as we know is the stability management kicking in and knocking the power out momentarily. It can be a little annoying iykwim.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    So to be clear you leave the valves to the stock settings if you are getting on it and want max performance but now you have the option to keep the valves open when you are just cruising around and want the most sound? Seems like a good solution if this is the case.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes, exactly.

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Kind of an annoying story that I thought I would share. Was pulling out of my neighborhood in my Pista yesterday. I look in the rear view mirror and see a 488 spider behind me.

Cool I think. I was turning left and he had his right blinkers on. I figured he would get alongside me, I’d give him a nod, a thumbs up you know being Ferrari brethren and all.

I’m waiting to turn left, he gets to my right and revs the engine and without so much acknowledging me, just takes off at a high speed.

I’m like- well there goes the camaraderie idea. Total Ferrari dickhead.

23. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Those experiences should be the exception, not the rule (in my experience)..........however if he were driving a BMW......then that is exactly what I would expect (I don't understand why every BMW driver feels like he chase me around driving like an idiot !

of2worlds and Ash Patel like this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Totally agree. I expected a different response cause he was driving a Ferrari. A 488 nonetheless, the predecessor to the Pista.

Oh well.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I remember reading somewhere on here that there was a 488 owner who saw a Pista and did not know what it was........not everyone who buys a Ferrari gets it..........(but thankfully most do).. I would have rolled my window down, asked you to pull over and give me a ride :)

of2worlds likes this.