Things Just Got Real | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Things Just Got Real

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I hate you. :)

3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ok kids- let’s talk paint protection/correction. Was reading an article on how new cars paint jobs are crap and not to let the dealer touch the car and have it paint corrected prior to applying PPF. On my 488, it was used, I just got PPF on the front. Same with 720 and my Porsche’s.

The Pista is a long term keeper for me. I plan on wrapping the whole car. Do you apply ceramic coating on top or is it not necessary with the PPF?

I want to do this car right. No compromises. Would appreciate feedback.

4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Paint correction prior to PPF, ceramic coating on top of PPF

I use Detail Boss, these guys are great!

http://scottsdalecardetailing.com/

My F8 is going directly to them after delivery....

of2worlds and FordGTDriver like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    My dealer uses a specialized detailer to get the paint in order and then mine went to my PPF guy who spent another day on perfecting the paint finish to his standard before doing a full hydrophobic PPF inc all CF parts and rear CF diffuser. Also did a w/screen protector.. All CF sills and direct impact areas were double and triple wrapped....and just as well!

Agree. Do it right....no compromises!

of2worlds likes this.
  6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    My plan is:
    Correction
    Full wrap
    Ceramic coat

My 911 and 488 are both wrapped but only the 911 is ceramic coated. I still wax the 488, but more as a hobby. I’ll ceramic the pista.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    I've done full correction, PPF, then ceramic on most of my cool cars. While I'll certainly have the Pista fully covered in PPF, I'm going to wait until I see it to decide on the paint correction. Also, I've started applying my own ceramic (on top of the PPF) with a spray "booster" every few months. I enjoy applying the ceramic myself, and if the product is carefully chosen, the application is quite simple. I've noticed no difference between the outcome of my own work and my detail shop with regard to the application of modern Ceramic products. The technology has evolved significantly in the past few years.

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thats what I did on my 488 Nero Daytona spider.
    #1 paint correction
    #2 PPF the whole car
    #3 ceramic coating

Also I might add my dealer split the cost on the paint correction after I told them .
    Best ,Kirk

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If the paint is in decent shape you will never notice the slight factory imperfections with a good PPF. A basic paint detail and prep should do the trick. Also no reason to coat the paint if you are going to wrap it, just a waste of money. Use a good film with a good coating and you will be all set. No need to ceramic the ppt if you use a coated material.

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Approxiamate price:

Paint Correction $
    PPF $
    Ceramic Coating $

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    New
    Approxiamate price: 450,000

Paint Correction $ 3000 to 4000. most likely not required
    PPF $ 10,000 to 12,000 for the entire car. Bulked, not patterns. you just need a top notch guy that knows how to cut on a car.
    Ceramic Coating ~$2,000 not required

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mine was 7500 all in. They used Suntek

BOKE and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That’s more like it, GH I’m not going to your guy!

stavura, Cigarzman and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Rob- ive worked with www.eawraps.com Trevor is the owner. Im likely going to go there again but will also check out detail boss as linked above. Another good shop locally is www.bulldogdetail.com

I need to start calling these folks to get quotes and bids

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ha - 7500 for the entire car is very unlikely + all of the other work. No chance. To PPF a Pista it is a lot of work, just the rear splitter alone will take a day. Zero chance you can have your car paint corrected, the entire car PPF'd and then coated for $7500. The film alone is about $3K+. Also depends on the quality of work of course.

16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Must be east coast pricing....:)

Top shops around here much less than that...

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If it is the same service and quality then that's awesome for you.

18. PistaGuyAZ

PistaGuyAZ Karting

Apr 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Woon
    There are several things to consider that no one is talking about when doing PPF. Install costs will vary A LOT depending on the install. Full car installs can be done all edgeless, to the edges, with disassembly, without disassembly. Then there's the type of film that will make the cost vary. And of course the amount of coverage someone is really doing. Entire car doesn't always include all the ext trim and CF such as the rear diffuser. The rear diffuser alone if done properly will cost over $1000 alone. Slapping on film everywhere to the edges can be done cheaper but a proper install, all edgeless and covering everything including all ext trim and rear diffuser will in that range GH stated above. $10k-12k.

of2worlds and Gh21631 like this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Id say around 7500-9k is reasonable soup to nuts for the whole car process.

I would very much recommend you get the paint corrected- it almost always needs corrections. And PPF will MAGNIFY certain paint imperfections. So get it done. And I would wrap the entire car. Do you have the CF entry sills? Wrap those too. What about the CF floor boards, also worth wrapping.

Ceramic is an interesting topic and you can read all about it, but my opinion after much experience over 7 years now- you do it for ease of maintenance, thats about it. They will tell you all kinds of wonderful things it does- ok maybe- but what it really helps is cleaning your car- so long as you plan to keep it clean. Even clean PPF will hold on to water and much more than standard clear coat. So whether you towel or blow dry your car, its hard to get the car dry as the water is harder to get off. And making matters worse, PPF is easier to scratch than clear coat- its just a lot softer. Most new ones can heal with heat though. Anyway I recommend blow drying cars vs towel drying, which will introduce micro scratches if you are careful and bigger ones if you are not. The ceramic will make it much harder for the water to stick to the surface and it makes drying the car so much easier. But you will have to use a ceramic enhancer afterwards- like using speed shine. Your car will look super glossy- its nice!

of2worlds and BOKE like this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What product are you using?

21. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Here is the name , Joe Carrol Clear Bra and Tinting 941-270-6336. I have no reason to lie about this. Best ,Kirk.
    FWIW. Ferrari of Tampa quoted me 10k. This was done April of last year.

BOKE and Gh21631 like this.
  22. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Keep in mind I did a 488 spider NOT a Pista.

23. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    SoCal to az likes this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    ok- full body paint correction, full body PPF including all exterior carbon pieces and ceramic coating scheduled. Going to do it right. $6200.

of2worlds likes this.