the Veyron is just 2 Audi V-8's? | FerrariChat

the Veyron is just 2 Audi V-8's?

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by TheMayor, Apr 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So, I just saw a program on the internals of the Veyron and they said the W16 motor is just 2 Audi V-8s stuck together. How disheartening. Honestly, I was crushed.

Is this true or just someone trying to simplify the situation. I thought at the price of a million bucks, you'd at least get an engine that didn't have most of the components from a parts bin.

2. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #2 normv, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    Hello at least its not made from Legos. Dont worry 1000hp, 4 turbos Im sure it shares some architecture from Audi engines. Thanks Norm Watch the video its quite interesting!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHWDSnWk2jU

3. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    It may sound like thats the story, but the configuration of a W16 is much different from a V8 by a huge amount. Thats like saying the Ferrari V8 is a pair of Fiat I4 together.

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    W16 is just a version of the modular family of engines developed by VW for some of their top brands.
    W8 was used in Phaeton (never in Audi),W12 in Audi A8 ,Phaeton and Bentley Continental and finally W16 used exclusively for Veyron.
    Whoever claims that W16 is made from two V8s has no idea what he's talking about.

5. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm sure the Phaeton has a W12.

Oh and Jezza says that the Veyron has two Audi V8's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp00GMA0LBY 4:40 he says it. And don't say he know's nothing because how successful he is just goes to shows that he does know what he's on about.

6. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I wouldn't worry about the W16 being related to a humble motor. I have read, however, that the original Audi V8 (from the late '80s) was just two VW GTI 4 cylinder motors.

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You did not read my post ,listed A8,Phaeton and Continental as having W12s.
    Jezza is not a God and he is simplifying a bit too much in this case.
    Do you think he would call the W12 a 1+1/2 Audi V8?
    Besides,Audi never had a W8 and W16 has nothing in common with the V8.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1,000,000

9. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    absent is spot one here. I would just like to add the VW W8 engine was also used in the Passat. In fact I think this was the first application of this engine in 2002. I've been running my Passat W8 wagon since 2005 and this engine is so smooth quite and powerful, it's a shame they didn't continue to develop it, because it has proved to be a maintenance/warranty nightmare for VW

The Phaeton and Bentley models' chassis was also designed at the time to be a shared platform. Some confuse the Audi A8 using the same chassis as the Bentley, the Audi is an all aluminum platform, whereas the VW/Bentley is steel based.

One thing also to note, is that the original W8 engine is basically 2 banks of the VR6 engine spliced together. It's this reason why the W series of engines are so compact and the engine bay of the Passat can accommodate the W8.

Matt

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    All true.
    I forgot about Passat having that engine first.
    Wasn't it a 4Motion?

11. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Yes that's correct, the W8 was only available as a 4motion.

These engines really are superb, for their high power and small size with great fuel consumption. Just don't tell any Bugatti owner that the origins can be traced back to the VR6 gti!

12. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    #12 BusDriver, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    The W8 engine was only available in the Passat. Never in the Phaeton, which used an Audi V8, or any other model. The Veyron W16 is indeed two W8's joined lengthwise.

BTW, the W8 has a flat-plane crank - and therefore, a unique sound, esp for a Passat.

13. Spencer89

Spencer89 Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Long Beach
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #13 Spencer89, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006