The Turbo Testarossa Discussion | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Turbo Testarossa Discussion

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MOSS, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    turbo-joe likes this.
  2. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Another. Notice powder coated plenum. I was very happy with it and regret letting it go but I expect this one to be much better stuff.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

PineChris likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    more detailed photo from the turbos and exhaust please, also the inlet manifolds
    where are the intercoolers?

what you understand under "rear end"? rear end from the body? or rear end from the power output, so diff?
    paul also is making diffs but you may use then the original inside parts as I know

4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I will see what I can find. Yes, the differential housing.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Had the fun time of playing with an 86 TR TT with a cut roof and connectors. Full build, with nitrous to help spool the turbos quicker, front intercooler mounted behined the fake grill etc..that thing was nuts.

However only managed to pull an 11.8 out of it. Only reason I couldn't go faster was because of the slow gearbox, and crappy gear ratios. The ratios are much too long and obviously not designed for 1/4 mile drag racing. The newer stuff with 8 speeds DTC are just simply better, and quicker. The TR is a cement mixer no matter what you do to it.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sure? it is then a very long way for the air to reach the cylinders and it will take a while until you feel the boost. so this car had twin turbo and only 1 intercooler? where there have been installed then the air guide tubes from the turbos to the intercooler and back then to the inlet manifolds? photos would be great

what you mean under connectors?

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Just guessing but I would think air/water heat exchanger mounted behind the grill for rear mounted liquid intercooler. Can't imagine running plumbing for an air/air that far.

tbakowsky likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You are correct.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The TR was converted into a targa top a la 308. They braced the under side of the car with huge (as we used to call them) "connectors".

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Unfortunately, here are too little technical information. I have a F512GTB, which is a F355 with 512tr engine and transmission. He has about 480 hp with a special software from Ferrari with different timing, polished channels, higher compression, different air cleaner and exhaust.
    The conversion has the approval of Ferrari. The F355 is more modern, lighter, has better suspension, power steering, better aerodynamics. For the F355, it features race suspensions, carbon body panels to lower weight, good splitters and rear wings. My gearbox has a stronger main shaft. At the moment conversion to better aerodynamics with Imola front spoiler and splitter.
    I am interested in the conversion to a modern turbo for 2 years. My concerns are but if all this holds. No royal turbo has been able to drive many miles and a 512tr engine can hold 200,000km.
    My ideas are:
    1:8,5 like the König F50
    GTX2867R Genration 2 with Trim A/R72
    Boost Control till 0,8 (Gears 1-5: 0,2, 0,4, 0,6, 0,7, 0,8)
    ECU Maxx ECU Pro with ASR (do not turn the drive wheels through) http://www.maxxecu.com/products/pro
    Carbon Parts: http://www.superformance.co.uk/355/performance.html
    https://www.diamondracing.de/shop/nitron-fahrwerke/ferrari/355/ferrari-355-94-99-fahrwerk-ntr-r3/
    As a coronation, I now transport my two Ferraris on the trailer pulled by my Rolls Royce Silver Spur II with trailer hitch. My dreams get reality...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Zeff likes this.
  11. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I really like the 12 cylinder conversion. Today's modern turbos will go forever without failing so you should not worry about that anymore. Nice cars

12. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    But a 512 Turbo is no Modern Turbo...

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Details?

14. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    The whole conversions on Turbo, whether by King's Specials or others, have never lasted long. They always went and only break. I wonder again and again why nobody writes about it and what breaks.

15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I don’t know, I never broke mine.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    How many miles you drive? Speedlimit?