The Turbo Testarossa Discussion | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The Turbo Testarossa Discussion

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MOSS, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Seriously? You apparently took nothing from my advice.

1-week ban for personal attack, framed in a 3rd person voice.

2. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #102 MOSS, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2019
    Maybe we can keep having good dialogue about the subject matter. The main trans shaft is about 5/8 inch diameter and I think even with an upgraded piece of alloy, its just too small and will either twist or break as Rifledriver pointed out and Turbo Joe. If that piece can be made with the strength then I wonder what would break next? All the gears and shaft can be made of the same material from Austria where Dallas performance gets theirs from and it handles 2000+ horsepower. Guys, I'm telling you, this is some very special exotic stuff. That shaft seems to be the weakest link. Its my understanding that the shaft diameter cannot be increased. This is big money stuff. I am inquiring about a build and these components. When I get information, I will share it.

3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I talked to James at Norwoods today and we are putting together a build. He said you can take care of the propeller shaft and main shaft in the trans with brute strength components and a broken case would be the next piece. He knows. In other words this car can be purpose built this time as it is very unlikely the case breaks. Then we will get the real numbers from a 2019-2020 technology TT car making big numbers. Chris, I will use your device to get us some real numbers without doing some real strip runs. I like that dragy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The Dragy is good, and very accurate, easy to use. And that way you can measure roll on times, like 60 to 130.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Heres the vid I made of using the Dragy on my Testarossa:

MOSS likes this.
  7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Once the project starts I will start a thread. I have a 90 with 13k miles for turbo build.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this video says/shoes nothing about time or speed, also no TT :(
    and will not show more when you post this in 2 different threads

and when you always shift / using the clutch when you go from 2nd into 3rd in the second section of the video then you will need soon a new clutch

9. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    At the end of the video, are the results... Going very easy off the line, 0-60 in 6.2, and the 1/4 mile in 13.98@106 mph. I wont need a new clutch anytime soon as I performed this test once, for fun, and will never do it again.

MOSS likes this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Rose Red likes this.
  11. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I had already a stronger shaft from koenig inside, so stronger one than from the 512M, and only 1 piece, not like original 2 pieces, but I have been the first as koenig ( walter RIP ) told me who broke such a shaft. this from rob hayden still works fine - until now ;)

14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I will visit the components like this when this thing gets going. I want to enjoy the power to whatever extent I can. Is there a contact number for Rob Hayden?

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    he is a member here
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/uzz32soarer.39094/
    when you contact him say a nice hello from me

but it is hard to reach him. he is buildiing since a while a new big garage hall by himself and has only a little time. like me: sooo much to do and so little time :)
    if he will not respond to your PM send me a PM and I try to find his mail. but not sure if I have it with me here in thailand. otherwise you may wait until end of april when I will be at home again

MOSS likes this.
  16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Thanks, the 512m shaft was a good candidate but the Hayden piece sounds much better. I will try to keep the interested parties up to date on the build.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    The turbo car in the article is at pattersons place right now. The plenums are total fab jobs and lowered with some really crazy 1 off mods. Very dated and one of Bobs creations. James took that setup and made a completely different animal that is state of the art and looks like the factory did it. Not knocking Bobs work at all. His was the first as far as I know. You will be surprised at what is next. James and Micheal Luongo’s place is 30 minutes from my house so it will be nice sharing photos and discussion going forward.

18. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Moss/turbo-joe, I have Rob's email address from awhile back. Not sure if he still uses it, but I'll PM it to Moss.

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Thanks!

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    With that much tire spin would be lucky to break in the 12's at all.

As for the diesel truck, not the best comparison. At the 1000hp level it would have to be making nearly 2000ft/lbs of torque.

Like any turbo car, I'm sure a turbo TR has some good potential but I'm a see it to believe it kind of guy. (So would prefer actual results of timed runs or dyno runs vs endless speculation).

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Got it and I sent him an email. Thanks for the help. I will be looking at some additional pieces as well and doing some research. Turbo Joe, thanks for your help as well!

22. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I will start a new thread on the build and let this one die as soon as the work starts. This thread took on its own life with opinions and arguments
    that benefit no one and really have nothing to do with a modern factual build and results. Should be fun.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    moss
    if you would need a CP and a mainshaft same as in my competition you may send me a PM. I still have here ( sorry, not here in thailand, but in germany ) each 1 set still for sale, brand new and never used
    you also would need a better diff. get in contact with modena motorsport, also australia. I already had 4 from them. 1 is in my competition, 1 is in my new rebuilt stronger gearbox with all "the good" parts :), 1 I installed in a customers car and the other 1 I sold already. but next time when I need one I will contact philwozza, also a member here, but very busy and as I remember just now not in GB, but not sure. he is making diffs a little different than the "normal" diffs. you may contact also qwazipsycho. he has a diff from phil. may be he can tell you more about this?

oh, I just see that this was my post no. 5000 :) and suddenly I got old, now a veteran ;)

MOSS likes this.
  24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    You are a veteran! Congrats! Newman in on this site and has a very strong rear end for turbo cars. Did you know about that one? Thanks for all your help.

25. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    James Patterson and Michael Luongo at Norwood Italia will be building the engine and driveline. James has many nice Turbo cars
    out there and Bob Norwood began doing them but Bob has his own place about an hour away from their shop. I will find some pics of my
    car a couple of years ago so you can see the craftsmanship. Last car they did was in 96, I believe so much nicer electronics and Motech
    available now I would think as well as turbos.