The Turbo Testarossa Discussion | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Turbo Testarossa Discussion

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MOSS, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  2. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Having experienced recent built cars, much more up to date Norwood/Patterson builds, I can tell you that it is worth it if you really love the car to start with. The article is somewhat laughable and in no way an accurate representation of the power and quickness of the one I have owned and the other one I have spent considerable seat time in. More than 3 seconds were wasted on fragile takeoff and pushing the article car in the qtr. They can take more than is represented. I know first hand. I will post some interesting stuff later for those that really want to know the facts. I own a 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 second qtr mile car so I can tell you from real experience the straight up comparisons. More later...

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    welcome back to the forum moss ;)

4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Lol, thanks. Hopefully I will stay a little longer Turbo Joe but I try not to take these absences too seriously. Its just the internet but I enjoy visiting with you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    In the meantime I want to show you a 7000+LB Cummins daily driver turned up to 1000hp in a qtr mile run. Pay attention to the ET. This is a quick lesson on power to weight ratio end results. Remember The Turbo TR weighs 3766 pounds and will make 1100 hp. I remember a comment that anyone with an inkling of knowledge about this stuff would know there is no way this car could get into the 10's. I have another video coming of a full burnout with drag radials of a much more recent TT build by Patterson who took Norwood over years ago. I have driven this car and almost purchased it so I know a little bit about it and it is still local to me. Compare the truck weight to the TR weight and laugh. Double the weight and down 100hp in the 10's. If the TR could be launched and shifted normally as it was not done in the 90"s article think about the possibilities. This is easy math guys. Very rudimentary.

6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Here we go. This is not the one I bought but spent some seat time in it. Anyone see any parts flying off the car or on the street? Drag radials and if anyone knows what those are they are as close to slicks as one can get for the street. Very sticky and grip very well. If you think that car is on its way to a mid 12 second qtr mile like the one in the 90's article, then I have some swamp land I will sell you. This car has done this a lot and stayed together well. I know they break and do not have the drive line for continued use of this sort but a good driver that does not shock the drive line can have some fun in one of these. They are not made of glass.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #83 MOSS, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    If you can find someone that will still build one of these it will cost 80-100k to do it. Is it worth it? I don't know. If you have a lot of money and want a very cool car that will smoke a lot of muscle cars and exotics then I guess so. A murcie weighs 4,058, Diablo 3,651, Huracan 3,423, Tr 3,766. None of those cars have much over 600hp and more in the 500-580hp range. Those are the exotics I was talking about beating on the highway on spirited runs, not Bugatti's. I had all of those cars mentioned except the Bugatti at the same time as my TT Testarossa. It will out run them for sure on the 40-170 punch. It would not take my 1000hp Porsche. The TR is one of my favorites for sure. A lot of technology has changed since the article shown and power delivery. I hope this clears up some of the doubts based on the article car. BTW, Dallas performance has connected with a company in Austria that is producing alloys with phenomenal strength. They were tearing up transmission gears and shafts on the Gallardos with 1500 hp and this stuff allows for 2500 hp durability. Be interesting to see if they would make some drive line components for our cars to better handle the TT. Very expensive to find out I would imagine.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    with so much HP it makes no sense to start from standing. only spinning wheels and rpm-limiter working. too much stress to the parts. the TT makes fun between 60 km/h and ??? :)

MOSS likes this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #85 MOSS, Mar 7, 2019
    Totally agree. Lets face it, they are not qtr mile cars as many stick shift exotics share. 50mph and up though is totally different. Launched with no reserve and a good driver though would send you through the traps below 11 seconds. I wouldn't want to do it to mine and there is no reason to but its certainly reachable. Power to weight ratio tells you that. Math does not lie.

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    They did not replace either.

12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    What modifications have you done to your monster car?

13. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Big difference between saying that A TT Testarossa can outrun any modern exotic, and then comparing it to Diablo's and Murcielagos. I would have agreed with you about the TT Testarossa beating them on a roll. I still stand by my opinion that the car will get smoked by todays modern cars like the 720S. Cool vid on the Testarossa smoking the tires, but anyone who knows drag racing knows that the slowest way down the strip is spinning the tires, and that video is in no way indicative of a a 10 or 11 sec run. I have a good bit of drag racing experience with stock, and modified exotics . There is a simple way for you to prove your point. We know that drag racing is not the Testarossas strong suit in stock or TT form. All you need to do is buy a DRAGY, find a nice flat road with no more than a 2% decline and have it record some 60-130 times. Then we can compare them to the times clocked by cars today. I do agree that a Testarossa with Twin turbos would be bad ass, but its certainly an old car that needs to be respected. For example I would not want to try stopping a TR with 1000hp on stock brakes. My Gallardo, which made 1160AWHP, had upgraded brakes and still had a very hard time stopping.

INTMD8 likes this.
  14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #89 turbo-joe, Mar 7, 2019
    even those have been not good enaugh with normal power and hard driving

15. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    exactly

16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #91 MOSS, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    The video was more to show with sticky tires it was not tearing up parts. I have driven this car and very familiar with it. Of course you need to take off with as little spin as possible, none if possible. I have run 11.90's spinning about as far as that car did with a heavy 500hp car. I'm saying that a good launch and good shifting and the power to weight ratio it should get you into the 10's. If a 7000 lb truck can do it with 1000hp, a 3700 lb car can get there with 1100hp IF it can be driven right. I think that is the limiting factor. That is a big if. Its not a point worth arguing about though. You and I go way back Chris so I know what you have and what you have had over the years and you do know cars. I have respect for that. My car and his has the big Brembo brake upgrade and it helps a lot. I sold mine two years ago and regret it but looking to do another.

17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    When I said exotics, I meant the one's I mentioned and should have been more clear. I did not say modern day exotics but it will take a lot of those as well and I do have experience doing it so I speak from real experience. I was just saying it will surprise a lot of fast cars that once could have destroyed the TR if this is the keeper car and that really got taken out of context and blown out of proportion. The DRAGY is a fun tool and fairly accurate for what it was meant to do. But if you test 3 cars, all of them got to 60 differently. I understand how it works and it gets close when the user inputs correct info. Nothing beats a real heads up, on the strip comparison. Mathematical racing has its place though and pretty neat. I guess it gives you fairly accurate bragging points. I did not mean to get off on who can beat who because those wars never end. Lets just say that a properly done Patterson TT will surprise you and others you run up against. To me, it was worth it at 70g. Now its probably 100k so not sure but I believe the last car was done in 2008 so 11 years later James said there is a lot more advanced stuff to use so a 2019-2020 build would be the pinnacle of the TT cars.

18. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    #93 Jay R, Mar 8, 2019

19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #94 MOSS, Mar 8, 2019
    I stand corrected, I did imply modern day exotics. There is a wide field of crazy fast cars out there. I guess I was thinking the ones you typically run up against in my neck of the woods, and the ones I have owned which are pretty modern. My mistake. I hope I have cleared that up. Hopefully only those really interested and real enthusiasts in these cars will join in.

20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Jay, I've known Pinechris for a long time and he is a big boy and I have a hunch he does not need a helper to have this conversation with
    me but If you are reading my posts that carefully, hopefully you are learning something. Thanks for paying so close of attention! I always
    welcome anyone that is wanting to further their knowledge of a subject like this. This is a great place to learn. Sometimes my written words
    contradict what I am thinking. Most intelligent people read all of the content and see my corrections and intent. I am interested in making friends
    not enemies. I can put you on my ignore list and you will stop seeing any of my posts or you can do the same but there are good members on
    here that like to hear this information and don't appreciate the bickering. I want to respect that. I've asked the mods to keep an eye on this. No reason why we can't get along.

21. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Like I said, to get a TT Testarossa to be a properly useable car and be able to access the power its capable of, youd need to spend alot more than 70k. TT Gallardo/Huracan packages run over $250k, and every part of those cars is far stronger and better engineered to begin with. I think the best way to set up a TT Testarossa would be to actually limit boost drastically in the lower gears, and then allow high boost in higher gears. This setup wouldnt really change 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance to crazy levels, but it would help the car to be more reliable. Id love to have a full bodied Koenig TT car.

22. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #97 MOSS, Mar 8, 2019
    Can't argue with that. You really can't spend more than 100k though because of the availability of components that those other packages offer so you have to just settle and be smart. I am looking into some other areas for components but the price will be too huge. Perfect world, you are dead on but just too limited to make it happen, but it makes a hell of a fun and fast car for 70-100k for a smart owner and driver. I don't think the Koenig has any better components than what is available to us.

turbo-joe likes this.
  23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Word of advice. We sometimes come across a pair of users that rub each other the wrong way and it affects the way they interact with each other to the annoyance of other users and the moderators. We recognize these combinations and make note of them and if the consequent behavior is disruptive enough we apply more and longer sanctions. Further, even though there is nothing wrong with quoting another user's posts, we also recognize the meta-context, which is to try and irritate another user. If we see enough of that, we do take action for trolling/stalking of another user. So rather than go down that road, if users feel unable to restrain themselves, our best advice is to put the other user on "Ignore".

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this is exactly what I did with my competition, but additional that the sudden boost at about 3.500 rpm will not come so sudden, only increasing up to 1.3 bar at 5.500 rpm. but with this adjustment I still work on. because when I go in 4th gear it takes much longer to go from 3.500 to 5.500 and so I need more boost at 3.500 n 4th gear than in 2nd gear. so the boost adjustment depends also what speed you are going in what gear.

I think with this you are right, that is why I already spent a lot of money for better material. only the gearbox from clutch down to the wheels are the weak parts in.

25. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    Yes, fair enough. My comments were only to call out bull **** when I saw it. He’s demonstrably wrong and admitted it and apologized which I shall accept and move on (it’s why I didn’t engage with the baity post he made by addressing me personally). We move forward.

Zeff likes this.