The tradition of Reading Ferrari Concours d’ Elegance | FerrariChat

The tradition of Reading Ferrari Concours d’ Elegance

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Green308GTSi, Dec 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Green308GTSi

Green308GTSi Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    #1 Green308GTSi, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Penn-Jersey Region of the Ferrari Club of America is proud to announce the tradition of Reading Ferrari Concours d’ Elegance will continue as the Pennsylvania Ferrari Concours d’ Elegance and will held at the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum in Philadelphia.

We are in the early stages of planning and developing a program of events and sponsors. I hope to see you there... Save the date, Sunday, May 17, 2015.

For more information please contact Barry Cross at [email protected] or 215-880-0250
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Barry,

Sounds great. I attended Reading in 2013 and had a great time, my 550 earned a platinum award, and "furthest driven" award. I like the idea at Simeon, it's half the distance for me, it's on my calendar

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have been a sponsor and attendee at Reading for a few years now. I am excited to hear it will continue and honor Pietro's vision. I will admit that, as a member of the Simeone Museum and donator, I dont necessarily think the Museum parking lot, located as it is, in an industrial area near the airport, is an elegant backdrop for such an event, but I look forward to seeing what the good folks at FCA have in mind. Good luck!

See you in the spring!

4. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #4 jgoodman, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    The Simeon Museum is absolutely incredible museum inside. A truly marvelous place for car lovers. The parking lot and the industrial park in which it sits, not so much. Reading was an elegant environment the several times that I have attended, hence the name. I think moving it to South Philly is not and would be a mistake, unless you plan to put all of the Concours vehicles inside. I have no interest in driving any loved car across train tracks and potholes down there. There are lots of beautiful venues in the Tri-State area, and that is where these cars truly belong. Just my humble opinion.

5. Green308GTSi

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    Thank you both Joe & Jay for bringing this up right away! You have given voice to the dilemmas we faced. The organizing committee did everything in our power to keep it at the Reading Country Club and we were asked to find a new venue and change the name. We had no choice but to honor that request.

So moving it meant trade offs. I acknowledge the loss of the greens at Reading and I know the black top at the Simeone Museum in South Philly is not equal. I also acknowledge that I do not have the clout of Pietro to draw vintage Ferraris and Dr. Simeone does. I also know that we put up with black top at Garden State Ferrari Festival in September, New Hope in August, Hersey, etc. I hope that we will not have August heat in mid May. Plus the museum setting will allow us to have a cafe and vendors inside in case of rain.

I have been working very hard reaching out to vendors and sponsors and so far we have loss none. If I have not contacted you yet, I may not have your info. Please contact me if you would like a role to play. Please help me to transition to a new venue so that we may have a FCA "judged" Spring concours in the Penn-Jersey region. If this venue does not work, I am open to future suggestions.

Change is difficult, please help me keep this tradition going for the next 30 years. Remember the Ferrari Club of America is a self organizing membership driven organization. Hang in there with me & the club, step up, not out! Lets keep our Spring Tradition alive!

I hope to see you all on May 17, 2015

Warm regards,

Barry Cross

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #6 JoeZaff, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Barry,
    Thank you for your comments.

While i agree with completely with Jay, personally, what I am trying to wrap my head around is the the size of the venue vs. Reading. The Simeone lot is not very big. I can't imagine it possibly holding all the cars that regularly attend the show, much less the other attendees, vendor tents, etc. What plans are there to deal with the overflow? I guess you plan on opening up fenced back lot where they do the demonstrations for the show. It's not the blacktop or the heat we are concerned about. It's the size, aesthetic, location, and route required to get there.

I understand that we lost Reading, that stinks. I trust you guys will figure out a way to make this location work. I just wish another country club or estate could have been secured. :(

7. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Sounds great but you may like to change the date to 2015 from 1015, or have us dust off our horses and finest ornate chariots for the concourse :) lol

8. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Barry,

I am sure Glenn and I will be in again this year as a sponsor as well. As with Joe and Jay, I personally am concerned about the venue. Having lost Reading I am sure we may be able to reach out to the masses to offer suggestions for a venue before timing is too late.

David

David

9. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Just thinking off the top of my head, have you ever been to the car show at Hagley Museum? They have a very large grassy field that holds a whole bunch o' cars. If you're investigating other options, that might be an option. Or, we can Astroturf the Simeone parking lot.

10. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    This is an important event to keep alive. Perhaps the sponsors and organizers could band together to vet sites and spring for a more appropriate venue? I've been to shows at Hagley, Oaks, and Buckingham that were great green fields. A Main Line event will draw nice crowds, too, if that is a goal. Radnor Hunt proves that.

Brett

11. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I too am disappointed. As much as I love the museum, standing around in a parking lot is not a concours. I can do that any Saturday morning at Cars and Coffee. Reading was great because it was a classy setting and a nice change of pace.

Why was the move from Reading forced, or is that not something that can be discussed publicly?

12. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I agree Brett. An enjoyable part for many participants is the drive itself. The joy for many is the arrival at a "special place." There are many and you've named a few. I'd like to add two more suggestions for the committee to consider:

The Hotel Hershey. Now they already have the Hershey d'Elegance, but that is really a prewar car event. I really wish it was an FCA event. It is a top shelf setting, one worthy of these special cars.
    The Elegance at Hershey

The Antique Automobile Club of America in Hershey is another to add to the list of contenders. While not centered in the Philly metro area, there is plenty of space, plenty of parking, and close to all kinds of fabulous activities. Cool Cars for Cats and Canines and my Mondipalooza event were great there. And they are highly accommodating. And a very nice setting.
    AACA Museum |

One more thing to consider is how you can make it a "full plate" event. It's one of the things I enjoy most about Cavallino, that it is a destination and there's a variety of activities over several days, like track days, drives, and events at aircraft hangers and marinas, besides the Concours. This does make it more special.

You know that Reading was the Cavallino of mid-Atlantic, and I think location is paramount to its ongoing success.

13. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    FWIW Simeone has a huge back lot where they do the museum cars driving days that could probably accommodate a lot of the cars or extra parking areas. I've been there a few times and enjoyed it tremendously... Amazing collection of cars and history!

14. JROD9496

JROD9496 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Jared
    I'm glad to hear the Reading Concours tradition will live on. As far as venue wise goes, I agree with the Simeone parking lot not making much sense, as well as the spectator parking would not be enough to fulfill the venue's needs. I mean Radnor Hunt is a great venue but they already have a Concours that takes place there. I would honestly say that contacting as many country clubs as possible in the nearby region would be your best bet. Some golf clubs would probably be more than happy to host such an event. There is a golf course across from Radnor Hunt called White Manor which is very nice if we're thinking the Radnor route. In all, the event will be phenomenal nonetheless and I am very much looking forward to it!

-Jared

15. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    We have discussed many other venues also . Three of my favorites and places I have suggested were Longwood, Winterthur and Hagley. There are also many other possible areas. My biggest worry about Simeone is parking for non-showing attendees.
    If anyone has any desire to try one of these three places, I might be able to help.

Bob

16. Green308GTSi

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    I want to thank everyone who has brought up there concerns and expressed their disappointment and suggestions. This conversations is very similar to the conversations we had within our regional board. We discussed various sites and visited different country clubs and they all had trade offs. At some clubs the date wasn't available, some didn't want cars on their course, some didn't have a banquet faculty that could accommodate us and some were too expensive. And to be honest, we were so focused on trying to continue at the Reading Country Club, we found ourselves behind the eight ball trying to secure a date. It took us until Thanksgiving weekend to accept the reality that yes, we would have to move.

Next, I begun to have this conversation with sponsors and vendors that I have an relationship with. They raised similar concerns, we discussed both the positive and negative aspects of the Simeione Museum and they have agreed to give the Simeone a try next year.

While I too will miss the morning drive to Reading through a country setting and acknowledge the industrial setting of the Simeone Museum has some challenges, we will try to do everything we can to make it appealing and comfortable. The size of the back lot at the Simeone is 6 acres, that is much more land that we used at Reading. The Simeone Museum will provide security for our event and their attendees will use the front lot and the street to park.

I appreciate the energy people are expressing about this event. That says to me you enjoyed it in the past and will miss the way it was. I will do everything I can to maintain as many of the old traditions as possible and will also try to update our experience. I also encourage to to reach out to me, become part of the organizing committee and help make this a success for all of us and if it doesn't work out this year, I am open to moving it next year (2016).

The good news, Algar Ferrari of Philadelphia has agree to become the major sponsor and partner for the Pennsylvania Ferrari Concours d’ Elegance. We are looking at the possibility of adding a rally and informal gathering on Saturday.

I agree that the Reading Concours d’ Elegance is the Cavallino Classic of the Mid-Atlantic and it is my goal to continue as the premier "judged Ferrari" event in the Northeast. Our mission is to help our members prepare their Ferraris for the FCA Annual Meet and Cavallino Classic.

So, let's continue this conversation, please help with this transition and I hope you all will continue to be part of this tradition in the future.

Warm Regards,
    Barry

17. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    This Concours is by far the best, the cars are second to none I will be there with my hold house this year to support if it doesn't rain. LOL Can't Wait !!!!

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

maybe this event could be held at Radnor Hunt?

I saw a thread recently looking for an excuse to hold more events there, well, here's your chance.

Also provides for lunch, or dinner, should the concours gang be so inclined.

Don't know the cost, but how much worse could it be than the Reading Country Club, which was a nice venue, but I do recall Pietro or one of the other guys in the judges room remarking it was pretty expensive for what it was.

Maybe combine the JErsey and PA shows in to one venue, one concours. Again, I recall many of the Jersey concours attendees also being at the Reading show.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave (Now in FL, so I should mind my own business) M.

19. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Yea Dave. Mind your own business😀😀😀

20. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I will probably start attending this event now just because of the move to Simeone. I live in South Jersey and Reading was just too far to justify. South Philly is no problem for me though! :)

21. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    Barry,
    Thank you for taking on such a monumental task of carrying on the tradition of Reading Concours d' Elegance! Considering all of the barriers you have experienced you and the committee have done a tremendous job keep Pietro's dream alive! I for one will be at next year's event no matter where it is! We can all work on improving the venue in the coming years if Simeone is not ideal.

Keep up the great work!!!

Mike

22. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Longwood wood be awesome!! Jon

23. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    We could probably have the event at NJMP. If you act quickly . Have banquet facility. Have huge grassy field or pavement in the event of rain. Have track opportunity. Central location for a large population . Reconsider people. This event at Simeone is gonna fail people. You don't have a second chance to make a first impression . Jon in Delaware

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jon.

NJMP is about $12K for the day, right? Trying to remember how many cars show up, on average for the Reading show. Maybe 100? Probably a little less. I would think that moving it to NJMP would bump UP the number of attendees if one if the tracks is made available during the concours. That would complicate things some, as cars need to be judged prior to heading out onto the track.

I think there would be some serious logistical issues, but with enough time and planning, they could be overcome.

Might not work for 2015, but certainly could be put in the loop for thought going forward. Not the prettiest setting, but a great track with lots of stuff to do, and as you point out, a banquet facility.

D

25. Green308GTSi

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    Hey Guys,

Love your suggestions and your energy, but please remember, Reading and now the new Pennsylvania Concours D'Elegance is a FCA judged event and not a track event.

Merry Christmas!