The time had not come. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The time had not come.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #76 PV Dirk, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My radiator has been worked on at some time in the past. It had a tag on it that indicated so. I didn't look too close at it. Only paid attention as both side brackets were loose. They only appear to serve a protective function but I didn't need them vibrating against the radiator and wearing a hole in it. Took it to a radiator shop to have it flow tested and pressure tested and get the brackets soldered back on. Heavy radiator. The last picture is a piece of rubber that was on both lower corners of the radiator. The radiator is only mounted into the car by two bolts at the top. I think it would have come out with the fans in place but it was basically glued into the car by the rubber and foam at the bottom so I removed the fans separately. Due to access of bottom bolts I'll try to re install fans before putting radiator back in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #77 PV Dirk, Sep 16, 2015
  3. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    The plenum looks amazing ... to confirm, do you mean you masked off the lettering and ribs?
    Looks fiddly ..

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    wow Dirk! You are working fast! :) I did my valence last year and sprayed it in mat black. Looking at it now after a year of beating it has pits scratches all over the place. I will need to redo it. however I do not want to you stone chip as it gets greyish over time. If you are going to respray it with lacker you might want to put on a protective film over it, which I regret now in not having done so..

splendid work Dirk! how was the condition of the fuel tubes? especially the higher one connecting the two tanks?

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    When using the paint remover I just masked the outer edges of the plenum so I got no stripper anywhere but on the top.

I painted the upper surface and when mostly cured I used a razor blade to take off most of the upper paint. I then sanded the ribs and Ferrari lettering to bring to this state. So I did not mask the ribs and lettering.

And if I didn't mention it I used the VHT wrinkle paint like others have recommended. Some suggested it is too orange. I think it looks perfect. Some have suggested it's not exactly Rosso Corsa but my research says Ferrari Red has had many shades over the last 60 years.

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Last time I did this I cleaned it with lacquer thinner and then rolled on textured truck bed liner paint. It has retained it's color for the last 5 years with no issues. Very tough. My only concern now is will I be able to remove it?

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #82 PV Dirk, Sep 17, 2015
    The whole front lower edge of this is worn down. There were some prior repairs it appears. I cleaned it up and set some fiberglass. I have more to do tomorrow. I started by sanding but ended up using a paint scraper that took the prior surfaces off reasonably well. And as seen in the last photo I have two cracks like this. On the outer most mounting points for the lower grill and of course the valence itself. Don't know what I'll do with these exactly. I'll probably grind them down a bit and add a couple layers of fiberglass. My Dad suggested a small metal brace underneath that I could pop rivet in place.

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #83 PV Dirk, Sep 17, 2015
  9. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Hi PV Dirk .. some great shots

I noticed that your rear wheel arch liners are made from alluminium ?
    Would you please take some closer photos of these as both mine on my QV are missing - I need to make some myself , although they may be slightly different as its a QV

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    What you are seeing is the heat shield at the front of the engine bay. Mine are the stock glass fiber. If you would like pictures of them I can dig them out?

Have you tried all the wreckers to see if anyone can provide them for you?

11. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK

Sorry my mistake ... contacted a few breakers but none found yet - search goes on but will attempt making a pair if no sucess ..

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Very cool thread, and that plenum looks fantastic! Another way to remove the paint where the "Ferrari" letters, etc are is to just touch it with an air file - perfectly flat- after the paint dries.
    Is that a Drew Brees jersey hanging next to a Jerry Rice? WHO DAT!!!!

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #88 PV Dirk, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Yes indeed. My girlfriends son outgrew them and they were going to get donated. I snatched them.

Glad you are enjoying it. This is also a great way for me to review my progress and realize how long the car has been apart. Sometimes I forget how much time has passed or how much work I have done.

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #89 PV Dirk, Sep 20, 2015
  15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #90 PV Dirk, Sep 20, 2015
    I wanted to get this project done before I left town, tomorrow. I wasn't sure how to remove the diff seal carrier plate from the differential. I ended up gently working with the razor blade and was able to get them apart. They really weren't stuck together at all. The hub that the axle attaches to was actually difficult to remove. I used a puller to get it started and then worked it off.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #91 PV Dirk, Sep 20, 2015
    More progress. You can see how the silicone came out of the splines. This was my issue I'm sure. The seal was very pliable and appeared in good condition. I had been getting a small amount of oil spraying against the back of the engine block. Very minor, didn't get much worse over 20K miles but it was something I knew should be taken care of. And as Birdmans tutorial suggested I called David and got his kit that I was surprised had pretty new nuts and wavy washers as well as the two necessary lock washer for the larger bolts.

Also, keep in mind if some oil is getting past those splines its getting into the CV joints and thinning out the grease potentially.

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #92 PV Dirk, Sep 20, 2015
  18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #93 PV Dirk, Sep 20, 2015
    Tomorrow I leave town for a bit over a week. The garage gets buttoned up, the car gets covered, I do a bit of sweeping and I'll be back to make more progress. Next time I hope to get the front valance/air dam prettied up and maybe reinstalled. The radiator and expansion tank should be done. The tank had to be run through the cleaning process twice. The radiator fellow said it looks like it had been coated at one time. I asked him if he was going to braze it. He said he finds that patches hold up better but if it was a show car or I prefer he could do whatever I want. I said lets go with functional and most reliable. Both holes are in hidden areas but I think I'm more about function in these areas. I also had some balsamic vinegar to bottle. It's been sitting and aging for a while. It tasted great 6 months ago but I hadn't gotten around to it. A couple years ago when a local winery had a shake up a balsamic starter that was reported to be 105 years old and from Modena Italy from Benedictine Monks landed on my doorstep. I threw it on 5 gallons of average wine from excellent grapes and now I'm bottling :D

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #94 PV Dirk, Oct 3, 2015
    I miss driving my Ferrari. That basic man and machine connection so I improvised. In some ways, the most primal, man, gears, wheels sort of way I surpassed Ferrari driving :D

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Howdy y'all. Been a while since I've put in an update. Baby is due within a month. I've moved out of my little studio above the shop and put it up for rent. I've effectively moved to Phoenix. The car is in bits on the lift, engine stand and the shelves at the back of the shop. I may or may not see the car again for 6 months. My heart is tugged toward the car but I have bigger things going on.

I recently had a discussion with a friend. We talked about having children and how our time is taken up and time passes. I'm 44 years old and he suggested that I should plan for what I want to do when I turn 65. I immediately said "PUT MY FERRARI BACK TOGETHER!"

Here I am. I have a great car that I love that is in pieces. I'm living 1100 miles from where the car is in storage.

This story will have an end, or next chapter. I don't know what it is yet. Maybe it will be my chapter, maybe someone elses. I would like my child to know the car as one that is used and not just a lump that is heard about from time to time. Time will tell.

I don't envision ever being far from here. I love jumping in and giving my two bits, even if I'm off track :)

Cheers

21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It's not the first time that your horsy is left alone for some months ;) I'm sure it'll wait and enjoys the company of the other wheelers :D I cannot tell you what to do however you can allways sell, but buying is a different story and if you are in no need of cash I'm pretty sure you will have some enjoyable drives with your newborne (and GF) in the future :D You can always travel to here where the offer still stands to do a cross continent drive, if not this year then next year and so on. Sorry no top down :)

Happy thanks giving (and to all on the other side of the pond)! Congrats already on what is to come and good health to the three/four of you!

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks Tijn,

I've brought this up with the lady and she isn't against me traveling to Europe to join you one of these years. I'm putting it on my to do list. :)

23. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #98 PV Dirk, Dec 22, 2015
    This is where all my time is being spent. I give the car virtually no thought.

Happy Holidays All,

My Daughter arrived on the 15th. Been a great first week.

7.5 pounds, 21 inches and healthy. :D

24. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Congratulations !

She is a sweetie.

25. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Congrats!! What a cutie. She will be falling asleep in the back seat of the Mondial soon enough.