The role of the Carrozzeria | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The role of the Carrozzeria

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Aug 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy

Over 2000 cars in 7 years: more or less 1 car a day.
    I didn't said that Touring wasn't able to set up the wires. Everything depends on what Maserati asked for: a 100% or a 90% complete body. We must to think with a late '50s mind and not see the process under a modern point of view. Things were more simple in the past than today.
    If you still have some doubts, send an e-mail to Mr. Cozza: he is the "Maserati living Bible".

2. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    #27 ColdWater, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Trev, if you have photos that shed light on this discussion, would you kindly post them ?

If you look at pages 74-75 of Maserati Road Cars by Crump and de la Rive Box, you will see "The factory jig-built 3500 chassis . . . [with] main centre tubing . . . supplied by one of Orsi's outside manufacturing companies". On the opposite page is a photo with the caption "Then came the welded steel panel supports for the critical areas". The photo shows the chassis with firewall, rear inner fenders, inner sills and outriggers at front and rear to carry the bodywork. The engine, driveline and suspension are not yet installed, but clearly the factory prepared the understructure for the coachbuilders. Lancia built up Flaminias in the same manner.

I can assert with confidence that the A6 series of Maseratis was delivered to coachbuilders as a rolling chassis with the engine and drivetrain installed, both from contemporary publications and from taking apart/restoring them. For example, here is a page from an article in a 1947 issue of Interauto (thank you Paolo!). This is the traditional arrangement, as can also be seen in many photos of early Ferraris.

With traditional and soon-to-be-obsolete coachbuilders like Touring and Vignale, I cannot imagine any reason why this longstanding practice would change for the 3500, unlike later unibody cars.

Although I've met Mr. Cozza, this issue does not trouble me enough to ask him about it.

Ivan, I believe that the chassis were placed on dollies to create a stable working platform. It would not be possible to drop bodywork on a chassis flexing on its own suspension, although I do believe the suspension was already installed. The photo above at Touring and contemporaneous photos at Zagato show cars both on dollies and their own wheels. I believe that the wheels from the factory-built rolling chassis were reinstalled after the main bodywork was attached. I believe that the line of Flaminia convertibles in the photo above are receiving their final trimming, not repair.

Don
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Let me see if Fabio/Cozza can shed some light. E-mail sent.

Ivan

4. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    the maserati sektion of this site is so great !! info/docutainment at the highest level.

5. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Well, this will be interesting. Mandarano law # 12 states "A lot is lost in the translation"

I for one would like to see what you asked him, before I can interpret what he says for an answer.
    Perhaps you can post your question to him.
    Ciao,
    FGM

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I sent Fabio Collina the following note, with a copy of the R&T article, so that he could see what I was looking for. If the cars were completed at Touring or at Maserati is something Cozza should definitely remember. As you know many Italians go on vacation in August, so I received an automated respond indicating that Fabio is out until Aug 27.

"Hi Fabio,

I hope you are doing well.

In 1968 Road and Track published and article that talks about how a Mistral was built (see attached). How was the manufacturing process on the 3500GT Touring coupes compared to this one?

On the 3500GT was the suspension and engine installed at Touring or was the car finished at Maserati in Modena? Were the 3500GT bodies delivered to Maserati painted, with glass and interior installed? If the interior was already installed that would imply that Touring also installed the electrical harness ... is that correct?

I assume Mr. Cozza remembers those days.

Best regards,
    Ivan Ruiz"

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Ivan,
    When I see Fabio on the 4th of Sept I will ask him about this.
    I think I already know the answer.
    FGM

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I received this response from Fabio:

"Finally I have met Mr. Cozza and I have asked him about your questions (I think he is actually the only person in the world who knows these details....!!)

So he told me that the manufacturing process on the 3500 GT Touring was identical to the Mistral one. Obviously instead of Maggiora was involved Touring bodyshop.

The suspension and engine were installed at Maserati in Modena. The bodies were delivered to Maserati painted, with glass and interior installed. The electrical harness was assembled in Maserati removing part of the interior of course (..strange process...).

I hope this can help!

Ciao and have a nice day!

All the best

Fabio"

9. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    #34 ColdWater, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

Lost in translation . . .

It's not apparent to me who mated the chassis and body, nor the answer to our burning question of when the engine was installed. It's also implausible to me that the process for a body-on-frame 3500 would be "identical" to a unibody Mistral, and unclear whether Touring or Maserati performed the role of Officine Padane with the Mistral.

Frank, we await enlightenment. Seems like the basis for an interesting article.

Don

PS - Ivan, thanks for trying.

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    You are correct about one thing. "A lot IS lost in the translation"
    I will be visiting both Touring and Maserati in The next few days and will attempt to seek some additional answers to this puzzle.
    FGM

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have a very hard time accepting that the wiring harness was installed after the interior by removing some items. Anybody that has done a ground up restoration on one of these cars knows that you would have to more or less completely strip out the interior, dash, trunk, etc to run all the wires. That sounds way too inefficient to accept. Perhaps someone at Touring has photos.

Ivan

12. PogueMahone

PogueMahone Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    The Italian job...

13. Azul

Azul Karting

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid
    #38 Azul, Sep 12, 2013
  14. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    I think we must to consider better the agreement between Maserati and the coachbuilder. Another sad factor is touring was totally exposed with the banks in that period, because the interruption of the rootes groups agreement in 1963.

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Good point. The written contractual agreements between Maserati and the coach builders must exist somewhere. These should clearly details how much work the coach builder was responsible to complete.

Ivan

16. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    #41 alfieri107, Sep 12, 2013
    Yes, but it doesn't necessarily end with the contract between Maserati and for instance Vignale. Vignale or Touring could have given out work to subcontractors, like on the attached pictures: you see Sebrings and Triumph Italias (cars wearing the Vignale badge!), under production not at Vignale's, but at O.To. Car, Torino. A company which was probably a bit more industrialised than Vignale. Later they also built the Merak for Ital Design (see photograph), probably Boras as well (they're into tooling machines nowadays). It's been a kind of a cottage industry, whoever had production capacities could do the work.

17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Great photos! I like the Merak....

18. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #43 DenisC, Sep 12, 2013
  19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    These are great photos! For the Ghibli it appears the engine and suspension were installed in Modena.

Ivan

20. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    For unibody construction, that makes sense. Giuliettas were made in the same manner.

21. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Ghibli and the left. Mangusta on the right?

22. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    O.TO.CAR is a small company situated less than 800 meters from the Vignale factory. I don't know how many Sebring bodies they produced for Vignale. Because i'm a little bit expert about the history of the Turin coachbuilders, i know the subcontractors were hired during the production emergencies. For example if Vignale bodied 30 Fiats a day, they couldn't produced 5 Sebrings and 2 Italias at the same time (on 3 different lines). So Vignale called a subcontractor to continue the job. But this situation changed year by year, so the 1961 production was different from the 1963 production.
    We are still talking about small productions made by craftsmen not used to a mass production. You have to consider, just to make a comparison, that the Lancia plant in Chivasso, 1 million of square meters big, produced 150 Flavia and Fulvias a day, in the same years and full-time with 3 work shifts.

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    In your opinion, during the construction of the 3500GT and Sebring how much of the car was assembled by the Carrozzeria (and their subcontractors) and how much was assembled at Maserati in Modena?

Ivan

24. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Unfortunately the coachbuilder production hasn't a standard, it depends on too many factors and every coachbuilder was differently equipped. Consider that a good body production (assembly, paint and upholstery) was 3/5 completed bodies a day in that period. Probably, because the orders, 10 bodies a day with 1 subcontractor or 2 during some periods of the year. A yearly production amounted to nearly 220 working days in Italy in that period. I haven't the data of the assembly in Modena but this could be helpful i think:
    the 3500GT Touring has been introduced at Geneva motor show (March 1957). Maserati got the orders and commissioned the bodies to Touring, meanwhile Touring fitted a couple of cars for every motor shows (Geneva, Turin, Paris, London and Brussels)). In 1958 Maserati sold 119 cars while the highest peak was in 1961 with 500 cars. The total amount was 1981 bodies made by Touring. We could say Touring assembled less than 1 body a day in 1958 and more or less 3 in 1961. But this statement isn't true enough, i think, because is uneconomical. Think about the weekly expeditions (by lorries only), the size of the warehouses in Milan and in Modena for the suppliers (how many tyres? how many cables? how many cans of paint? etc.), the extra working force to hire (piece-workers of course). I think Maserati commissioned a minimum of 10 bodies a month in the first period and a maximum of 25 in the best period.
    The same thing happened with Vignale, in a smaller scale of course: 245 convertibles from January 1960 to 1964 and 348 Sebring I series from January 1963 to 1965.

25. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Just to make clear the world of the subcontractors in Turin. When i went to the primary school in 1970, the Fiat 124 sport coupè II series was produced at the Fiat Lingotto plant. In my district, the same of the Lingotto, an unknown craftsman , probably a retired worker, chromed the frame of the deflectors in a small workshop located in the court of a building where presumebly he lived. I saw him every morning during my school itinerary putting the frames in a tank. I think he chromed 50/60 frames a day.
    This is just a sample to understand how the CAR has been built in Turin, where 50% of the population was involved in the production, at different levels of course.