The return of SNJ5 | FerrariChat

The return of SNJ5

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ATSAaron, Aug 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    About 18 months ago I bought SNJ5's old Mondial. I'm not exactly sure when he sold it. I bought it from a nice guy in Chicago. But the Mallary distributor that James Patterson at Norwood came up with had failed and new ones were no longer available. That's OK, I'm not exactly a distributor and carbs kind of guy. I knew the car had some great modifications (including a forged piston motor built by Norwood), it's probably the best documented Ferrari Mondial in the world thanks to Russ/SNJ5.

So, sorry Russ, but the carbs, euro style headers, mallary single distributor, and custom muffler all came off. In their place we installed/fitted/tuned stock exhaust manifolds, stock 3.2 intake and runners (I ported the runners to match the heads), a Link G4+ Extreme ecu, coil-on-plug ignition using Toyota coils, and a throttle by wire system using a Maserati pedal and Toyota Tundra throttle body.

I built a custom exhaust J pipe that feeds a Precision Turbo 6266 journal bearing turbocharger with a T4 .82 ar exhaust housing. I also built a custom straight quad tip exhaust system after the turbo and installed a water to air intercooler system with an intercooler core in the engine bay and a Ford Lightning heat exchanger mounted under the trunk.

Some of you might be familiar with my turbo 308 that runs on E85. We wanted the Mondial to run on E85, but wanted the option of pump gas as well, so we installed a flex fuel sensor that detects the amount of ethanol in the fuel. The Link G4+ ecu has dual fuel mas, and a custom blend table so I can run any mix of pump gas or ethanol.

We just finish the power part of the pump gas tune today. We still need to street drive it to get the best driveability out of the setup, but so far it's amazing. We made 500 horsepower on 93 octane pump gas. 409whp at the wheels on my Dynojet 248. For comparison a stock Ferrari 328 makes about 216whp on my dyno. We are close to double that figure, and will more than double it on ethanol hopefully later this week.

Here are a few pics that show the car as I got it, plus progress on it, and finally what it looks like today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    So awesome! Always loved this car (tried to buy it in the past), and thanks for bringing back to life... and then some!

Hot Rod Ferraris, so cool.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua, DRYHOLE, ATSAaron and 3 others like this.
  4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    That’s amazing you guys have the knowledge to do stuff like that. Very very cool car.
    Please let me know if your ever going to a cars and coffee or something I’d love to see it.

5. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Italian Car Fest in Grapevine in September.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Beautiful execution!

ATSAaron likes this.
  7. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    #7 Mark C Harvey, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    WOW!! This made my morning. I don’t know how you feel about publicity, but maybe get in touch with Matt Farah? This would make a phenomenal One Take. Congratulations. BTW just wondering what happened to the carbs?

8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    YouTube>Upload Video> Post Link of Video Here> Get Reaction of "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(SHHHHHH)"> Love Life Even More!

Execute!

9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Here's a video of Aaron's 308 with Matt - . Cool stuff!

2cam

10. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Ohhhhh......I did not put 2 and 2 together. We are in the company of greatness!

11. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I **LOVE** the look of that 308... two tone light over dark paint scheme, wheels, fog lights... it all reminds me of an old 512BB. So hot! :cool::)

12. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Yes, we are! ;) Aaron great work on this!!! By the way, is the Mondial 8 going to receive the same treatment? It seems like it would be a fun one to hotrod...

2cam

13. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    A mild bolt on turbo kit is planned for the Mondial 8 as well.

14. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Great! I'm looking forward to that build. It'll be interesting to see what can be done with a mild kit. I came really close to putting a mild turbo set-up on my '86 Carrera that would put out about 100 hp more than stock. I would love to do the same with a Mondial.

2cam

Drewbdo and Mark C Harvey like this.
  15. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    +1

16. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Is it too late to change the topic name to 650 horsepower Mondial?

Just finished the E85 dyno Tune (technically it was E77) and made 650 horsepower/523 wheel horsepower.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JoeTSI likes this.
  17. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Hot damn!!!

Peak power at 7300, not unlike a stock 3.2...

I always thought the Mondial had the chassis for much more power. I wonder how it will behave on a track? A hoot would be my guess...

AWESOME AARON!!!

18. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Yep, that’s a stock 3.2 way down at the bottom of the graph. Haha

Mark C Harvey likes this.
  19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  20. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Yep, that’s basically what I did.

Wade likes this.
  21. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Keen for an update here...how is the turbocharged Mondial 3.2 running? Can we look forward to a Matt Farah video at any time? ;-)

22. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I don’t know if Matt Farrah is coming to Texas anytime soon. I haven’t kept up with him every well. I think he handed one takes over to another guy? Maybe I can tempt him to come out.

The Mondial 3.2 Turbo is doing great. I got the AC working (a connector under the passenger floor was disconnected). It’s a really fun car. It’s not as flashy as my 308, but people really do a double take. They know it’s an exotic, but don’t quite recognize it.

Italian Car Fest is coming up in about two weeks and we plan to have it in the show.

Aaron

23. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    ATSAaron likes this.