The return of gravel traps ? | FerrariChat

The return of gravel traps ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    F1 drivers welcome return of Spa gravel traps

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/spa-gravel-trap-drivers-return/4893084/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-22

Formula 1 drivers have welcomed Spa’s plan to introduce gravel traps in place of asphalt run-off areas at several key corners.
    The Belgian GP venue confirmed last week that it will be putting gravel at La Source, Raidillon, Blanchimont, Les Combes and Stavelot.

The changes are being made to ensure that the circuit gets an FIM licence for bike racing, and are part of an €80m revamp that also includes a new grandstand at the top of Eau Rouge/Raidillon.

Asphalt run-off areas have been a regular topic of conversation at recent F1 drivers’ briefings, and at the Belgian GP meeting McLaren’s Carlos Sainz indicated that the circuit had gone too far in that direction.

“I feel like the only thing Spa is missing now is the gravel and the grass next to the exit kerbs,” said the Spaniard. “Now we have a bit too much as far as the feel of risk, and the paying of risk/reward is not good enough in these modern circuits.”

Visits to circuits like Mugello and Nurburgring have put a further focus on the drivers’ preference gravel traps.

Sainz made it clear last weekend that he backs the planned changes at Spa.

“Welcome back gravel and pray for more gravel in the future, and grass and everything,” he said when asked by Motorsport.com.

“Because it's exactly what I think we all need to make the circuits nice and spectacular again.

“I hope there's something else going on at Spa and they're not wasting €80m on gravel! But welcome back gravel, and let's keep praying for more gravel and more grass.”

Williams' George Russell stressed that drivers should be punished for making mistakes on track.

“This is what racing is about,” said the Williams man when asked by Motorsport.com. “It’s having that thrill, being on the limit, knowing if you make a mistake, you will be punished. And unfortunately there’s too many circuits, obviously for safety reasons, that don’t give you that element while driving.

“So gravel was taken away for certain reasons and brought back for others. And I think from a driver’s perspective - I don’t know necessarily the whole safety implications - it would be nice to see more pure race tracks again with these gravel run-offs.”

FIA race director Michael Masi is happy to see gravel traps introduced if they are deemed suitable for the corner in question.

“I’ve said before, corner by corner, circuit by circuit, and if it works in a particular circumstance, absolutely,” he said when asked by Motorsport.com.

“If it doesn’t work, then we need to look at the whole picture of how it works, and the FIA, working together with FIM, from that perspective. There’s a number of inputs.

“We’ll continue to look at it on a circuit by circuit perspective, corner by corner basis to try and make the best judgement.”

Cavallino Nero Rampante and DF1 like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

This evaluation for circuit mistakes is needed. Was due long time ago as well. Happy to see this.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    20 years ago an open wheel championship I was competing in visited Spa for the first time. At the end of the weekend more than half of the drivers needed new helmets and every car had major body repairs needed. For whatever reason the gravel used by Spa back then were these very large triangular rocks that turned into bullets if you even dropped a wheel. I certainly hope that the track uses a different quarry for their gravel this time around :)

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've said it for years now. the time gained is typically post apex. The danger area is typically before the apex.

Solution? Gravel right from the curb/whiteline post apex, parking lot before the apex. Time gained for going wide is punished, accidents are still as safe as before.

It's not rocket science.

stavura, Giallo 550, SimCity3 and 3 others like this.
  5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I like it!

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    We still need a solution about hopping the curbs to the inside at apex.

william likes this.
  7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I like it!!

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Should have never left IMO.

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I haven't thought about gravel shape. What shape is best, round?

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

I have a solution for open tracks!

Place astroturf inside the kerbs for 6 feet and fill it with 1/2 water and 1/2 dish washing detergent.
    At this point you no longer have to watch if the car exceeds track limits, the car will display whether it left the confines all by itself.

william likes this.