The Resurrection of #22579 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

The Resurrection of #22579

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by willrace, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Fwiw, I worked a ton of yrs. on a horse ranch/Valley Forge area through my university yrs., Black Angus & thoroughbreds...& can feel for you guys on the maintenance thing, barns, fencing, etc.

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I'm not sure of the dimensional thickness of the mufflers (can't remember which brand), but as I recall, some were left out for a more aggressive sound. I haven't been underneath her yet, but I suspect it's about as tight as it can be. Hydraulics? Maybe I can make it "Hop" :D

We're different personalities, but more importantly, Dave hasn't lived for the past half-year with the tangible results, both financial and what's on the ground here, while trying in good-faith to help Brett get this fixed without the "Ferrari Tax", and then reneging for the past few months.
    Dave has been an appreciated voice of reason, and spent an hour just calming me enough to call Brett after I couldn't see straight for a week, after delivery, and I hadn't even discovered nearly so much yet (what's been shown so far has also skipped a bit more).

That was an interesting night, with the weather :D The drive home was........"exciting", with cross-winds heavy enough to give me lane changes any moment, and the steering wheel cocked at about 11 o'clock just to maintain straight ahead. If the weather is too questionable for the 400, I'll bring it, and take you for a ride in the "go-cart with kitchen chairs bolted atop".

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you do ......give me a call and we'll talk horses or some other BS until we get you calmed back down. Heck I'll tell you the story about how I tried to set my Rolls on fire this summer. By the time I'm half way though you'll be begging me to stop you'll be laughing so hard.

4. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    :)

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    it would be interesting to see the invoice from the paint shop to the restoration shop.

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Everyone is talking about the paint but to me it looks like the whole car was put together by a high school shop class on the last day before graduation - in a hurry and with no regards to quality - at all.

Why is the trim butchered? Why does nothing line up? Why are the screws just jammed in there?

Giving money back on the paint doesn't begin to address those issues. Also, giving money back on the paint is sort of like the old trick of taking $1 from 1000 people for a raffle... then you contact the "winner" and tell them that the raffle fell through but they are getting their dollar back. It really doesn't resolve anything.

Also, if the owner didn't specify a cheap paint job, then giving him the cheap paint job money back isn't making him whole. Making him whole would be providing him with what he was supposed to get in the first place.

I am sure there is a lot of back story here but for the shop to say "I don't think more than money back on the paint work would be appropriate" is downright scary. Imagine a tire shop trashing your car, then telling you they will refund the cost of the tire they put on.

I've been in business for quite a long time. I always protect myself from these types of issues, through documentation, communication, and sometimes when I screw up, through taking my licks and doing what is necessary to make things right.

I can't see how that isn't an appropriate solution here. If the shop doesn't have the funds to make it right, then they really shouldn't be in business.

7. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    +1

8. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I've been,as all of us have,reading this thread with quite a large amount of amazement at the incompetence of many folk.

If the instigator of the work(shop) was a registered business in Aussie,then he would/should carry insurance for such instances.
    I had an engine rebuild(NOT an F car...something MUCH more lowly,F350)done by a local shop.
    It let go whilst towing 2 rally cars down to Tassy for the Targa.
    After the dust settled and a 2nd hand engine obtained,we continued and had a great event.
    Coming back home,having kept the shop in question abreast of the events...and taking photographic evidence of the shops' misdemeanour (as has been done here),the shops' insurance carried MOST of the pain.
    Perhaps this is not the case in Canada???

9. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Good catch that everyone is focusing only on the paint so far, when we really haven't stepped inside yet, and jeez, there's so much more that just that paint and reassembly.

I'd forgotten about the $1 Raffle for an analogy, but it's just as apt as, and more classic than my "...amounts to nothing more than establishing how much of the price paid does Brett get to keep for the result sitting here and in the pictures - give up a little to keep the big payout." Both tell the same story.

If I'd only known that I had any reason to doubt the competence/intent of the Expert I was hiring, I'd have done it VERY differently, but without anyone else stepping forward until the last week in PMs, I stepped right into it.

This thread does more than just expose Gran Turismo and Brett Swaykoski - It's also a template for just how much you have to document the crap out of every little part, if only for coming back to force the corrections, and don't just trust someone, no matter how well they can articulate clearly back to you exactly what you want. Even what's in writing was ignored, in cases where the simplest, clearest specifications were clearly given, not knowing that even more would have just been ignored as well.
    If I only had those phone calls so I could share them.......

I'll add that abbreviated record of the inside, and the pertinent email(s) for context, in the next day or two. Then, I'll see if there's the need for more bleeding in the ring, considering the reserves that haven't even been tapped.
    Some may consider it tedious, but until they've walked a mile in my shoes.......

I DO think it's interesting that the email address I was receiving his responses from changed on Sept. 10.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok Kurt but please don't make me look at that crooked seam on the console again. It hurts my eyes when I do.

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    #211 Jay GT4, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    A successfully straightened one at that !

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My car is in for paint right now, thanks for scaring the cr*p out of me.

14. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #214 willrace, Sep 29, 2012
    Is a "Raw Edge In The Gap Under Fluffy Upper/Not Done At All Lower better? :D It's on the other side ! ! ! :p
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Think of it this way - It can only be better.

16. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Kurt it's a new type of anti-theft device. Even if you steal the key you won't be able to put it in the ignition. You should patent it.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll try to make it too.

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It would be cool if you could make it Rob :D

19. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    I have read all 11 pages in this thread thus far. I agree that it is fraught with unrealistic or uncommunicated expectations. There was an expectation of a newish car using a mix of 30+ year old parts, some new, and some rebuilt. I could not follow the specifics of exactly what components were to be of what vintage though. And, the whole discussion of $17,500 $24,000 or I guess the added up number of $41,500 for the car before the work leaves me believing there were some substantial duscussions outside what we have seen posted.

Count me with the people who believe that the whole story is not being told here. But, absent the inital statement of what should have been delivered and for what price, that Ed says is lacking above, it is impossible to tell what is being debated in terms of final price.

How the paint got through is a valid concern.

I think the whole discussion of Fit and Finish is missing one substantial fact: Out of the factory in the late 70s and early 80s Ferraris were not perfect in that area! My largely unmolested 400i of similar vintage has some of the parts, seams, and joints do not match up perfectly. One could pull all the parts off and fit them perfectly and the hand labor to do that would be a huge commitment. If I ever hit the big time, paying Ferrari to do that through the Classiche program may be a fun exercise--but it would be from from cost effective versus the market value of the car unless something substantial changes out there.

Reading this thread reminds me that my 400, and all the others remaining, are an increasingly unique beasts each day they survive. As such, they warrant a high duty of care.

I suggest the take away from this discussion is that written estimates with clear totals and specific methods of addressing over-runs should be insisted upon by both parties as early in the process as early as can be defined and agree too.

-sc

20. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    If both Rob and Dave are going to the same event I suspect that at least one bottle of wine will be involved.

-sc

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #221 rob lay, Sep 29, 2012
    ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    When I first read the initial post with the link to the eBay ad I was tired and entirely missed the whole point being made here.

Having now followed the progress of the thread with a mixture of immense sadness and incredulity I wonder how (and why) a so called "expert in the field" can still be in business if this is the best level of work that this shop can turn out.

This is a very long and complex thread to follow so I may have missed the answer to the question I pose here but is this a one off situation or are there others who have experienced poor workmanship at some or all of the levels encountered with this car? Conversely there should be others who have used this shop who can vouch for their integrity and quality of workmanship - I don't recall reading anything either way but this is a small community and we need feedback either way.

If this a one off the shop should make amends and correct the problems fully at their own expense - a decent company is often judged by its worst product so not putting this right will no doubt prove very costly in bad publicity and lack of future business. If they regularly turn out work to this level they are obviously incapable and probably won't be around long anyway so asking them to rectify the problems would be a total waste of time.

We all know that there are three sides to every story but in this situation the evidence is clear for all to see - whoever worked on the car and, even more so whoever oversaw the project and allowed a car to be returned to a client in this condition either didn't know what they were doing or simply didn't care - to me the whole thing smacks of a shop on the verge of going bust.

23. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    In Ontario a shop is allowed to go up to 10% over on a detailed estimate or overall budget without discussion. Anything else must be discussed and approved with the customer.

Gerrit
    ex-11966

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    $91K spent on a 400 = as good or better than new in body, trim and interior in my mind.

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    VERY well done sir, well done. Clearly you understand what has and is happening here.