The Resurrection of #22579 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The Resurrection of #22579

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by willrace, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    You've obviously never met someone who's good at good first impressions to draw in the crowd. All would have appeared to be wonderful, and on the phone, all was.
    As already stated several times, this was never a $60K all-in project, and the final $24K purchase of someone else's car I'd just paid to restore was a complete shock.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jeesh thanks a lot for telling me :) Oh heck, I've spent enough money on the ranch this year anyway. I was up there the past few days dealing with skin alergies on one of my horses. I should have called you and had you drive down. We could have spent the weekend grilling steaks and drinking vino.

3. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    2a) Brett was acting as broker in exchange for getting the restoration job.
    2b) Only after the $24K, but as already noted, there was no issue mentioned months earlier when I was going to try to get the registration in Texas started. I was about to be sent, when I found out that the car had to physically be here to start the process, so I cancelled it.....which I now know I shouldn't have.
    2c) When I finally spoke to Larry and found out that the whole context of the sale situation was misrepresented, he told me that he had also only received $5K of that initial $17,500 transfer for which I received the BOS. I don't know if he ever received anything more in between that and the $24K that went directly to him at the end.

We did communicate constantly, and I received update photos of work being done on a regular basis, only a few of which I have already posted in the early pages of this thread.

You are correct in that the body/paint/reassembly was botched at each stage. In an upcoming email, I even make a case for how if we completely ignored all of the body and paint issues and assumed a fantasy PERFECT paint job, it was comprehensively destroyed during reassembly by the expert I had trusted, whether Brett did it himself or just oversaw it, and that were numerous examples coming through his shop regularly, in case the assembler had never seen one of these cars and Brett was nowhere to be found.
    Brett was the "Gatekeeper" as full_garage put it, at every stage.

It all amounts to lots of time and effort expended to produce what's in the pics, and garage.

As Brett just posted in #92, we're now back to $5,000 for the paint and body. A couple more pages, and it'll come out that it actually was MAACO. :p

Somehow, though, a couple of nice aspects to the drive now seem to constitute a change from an implied acceptance of the whole car, to a sudden case of displeasure and anger on my part now. Mind you, the comments on the engine is after James had done what he could with the jetting and timing, while waiting for bigger jets to arrive, and it still doesn't pull like it should, but as already noted, James only spent enough time on it to get to so I could drive it to get estimates. The engine really did sound like a hunting party and a huge flock of ducks with the Canadian gas........
    The sound referenced in that email and in Brett's post above was actually a complement to his choice of exhaust to put on it. It was unnoticeable during the "Duck Drive".
    As his pictures show, it really is stunning from the right distance. In person, that happens to be about 30 feet.

As for addressing the bow in the trunk, bonnet, door fit, etc.? Same way every body shop does. Panels should line up, even if gaps are slightly off. If Brett was under the impression that this was a $60K restoration on top of the $41K that only he knew about, or even the $17,500, and then backed out the additional $24K, as already covered a couple of pages ago, it's still a $42,500 remaining in the restoration budget of an unwrecked car. With such a budget in HIS mind, WHY would someone throw a $6,500 (or $5,000....what day is it?) paint job on this?
    I was clear from before buying the car the first time that I wanted that "basically 30+ year old new car" for myself as a Driver, but in the Deflections and Stepping email of April 16, pointed out:
    "...."Driver" is not synonymous with "110,000 mile Toyota Sentra"; to think so, to expect someone else to, is synonymous with Wrong...."​
    Yes, I actually said "Toyota Sentra". Adrenaline and a furiously racing mind will do that.

Now, back to Shining The Light......On Quality!!

4. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #104 willrace, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    Heck, I didn't get the call until Sunday night. Any time you're up this way, give me a ring. We were so concentrated on what we were expecting to see that it never occurred to me that we might be down near your neck o' the woods; we were all the way down in Palmer. You should see this place - absolutely mind-boggling, and then they told us that the really nice places are in Argyl.

Instant Inferiority Complex.

We may go back again Saturday just to look some more.

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    White tends to hide all manner of sins in photos.

Years ago when my white 400i was at Ed Waterman's shop it looked really clean in the photos he posted on his site. Almost too good to be true really. A 5 Speed 400i in gleaming white with nice black leather interior for $30K-ish??

When I saw the car in person it was just awful. Musty and worn interior, the paint was cracked and chipped and discolored, the wheels were black and the TRX tires were hard and shiny. It drove like a coal cart and did not have as much torque as my Toyota rental car. I passed and for a time scratched these cars off my wish list.

My car probably got the equivalent of a $90K restoration by the guy who bought it from Motorcar Gallery- every single inch was gone over and much of it to a high standard, though I've been constantly bringing the neglected areas up to snuff as time allows.

I can't say that my photos I've shared here look all that different from what Brett has shared- and if I was on the other end of those emails I probably would have been pleased and continued to wire money.

6. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    My eyes.....They burn......BUT I CAN'T LOOK AWAY ! ! !

Annnnnnnnd, we're back.....

To: [email protected]; [email protected]
    Subject: B P 8
    Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 02:41:45 +0000

Continuing, with the right rear quarter window....

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    - (0420) Both the mini-air scoop at the top of the trim piece, and the extreme angle of the top screw (look at teh angle of the head; its CL actually shoots to my left from this pic's vantage point) indicate just how severely this is twisted. The middle screw may be, oddly, the closest to correctly installed of all six on both sides. The trim against the glass gaps larger as it gets to the top, where the unfinished section is........not even sure how to describe it, other than unfinished, red and all.
    In the background, behind the glass, you can see where I found some of that missing black leather - the rear package shelf, where an equal amount of the excess black UltraSuede that was left-over.

- (0432) A higher view, what one sees approaching the car. The amount of red increases as it nears the door, as the "unfinished-ness" just continues. Even at this perpendicular angle to the car, you still get a strong view of that top screwhead, the surface where the screwdriver inserts.

- (0426) Front end of the rain rail, with another way-too-big screw head. Also, the jagged split as it rounds into the roof is another surprise for someone who's just been told everything that was done to this car.

- (0402) A quick run down that A-pillar for a quick look at the opposite corner of the hood from the earlier-noted scraping and chipping (in B P 2)

- (0446) Speaking of runs, this one, you can certainly see, formation assist by gravity to give it extra height.

- (0449) Above that run, more burned paint on the wheel arch. Smile, the rear arches weren't burned (that I noticed, but I was focused on more glaring issues)
    I was wrong about the rain rail being ripped in pic0426 - it's not. It was off of the body just enough for the point to catch my skin as it slid over it after I took the pic of the oversized mystery screw.
    The tape in pic0402 is holding the windshield trim so it can set, after being applied to the new windshield. Getting the camera to focus on this one point last week was nearly impossible, and this was the best I could get.

The burned paint in pic0449 is difficult to see in that pic, even blown-up, because the white messes with the camera in bright sunlight. I'll get another pic, if anyone doubts it.

This stuff happened after it left Brett's shop? Huh?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    So whats the next step for the car Kurt? Paint or interior or just doing it all over again in one shot? Did you figure out the oil leak?

8. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    what kind of tires are those? NO xwx's????

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    continental all seasons

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    yes, was a great tire on my past lexus- was a quiet tire, and handled very well in light snow.

im curious, i thought on the metric tires you had to put the xwx? how would these fit

11. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Metric wheels on the 400s would need TRX.

Brett had a bunch of 14" and 15" wheels I recall- looks like he installed a set on this car to get around the metric issue.

On my 412 I installed 4 Testarossa front wheels- 16" all around.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not quite, that is a series 1 car. All series one's had 15" wheels. The series 2 cars started the TRX fiasco.

13. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    http://www.rocksauto.ca/

Have a look, and you will rethink that question. This guy is no Jed In The Shed Karz and Truks Repair.

Chris

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A rude and obnoxious guy with a nice shop is still a rude and obnoxious guy.

15. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I think the 16's look better, hands down!

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I think he meant (in other words) 400's 'w/metric wheels' use TRX's, not that 400's have TRX wheels.
    You think TRX's are a fiasco, wait till a motor overhaul :mad: & with 5sp tranny work, it's off the charts! :eek:
    Now $2K doesn't seem that much :p I know, I know, antiquated tread tech. :(

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Uh, ok I missed that.

shhhhhhhhh Bruce we don't say the words "motor overhaul" out loud. We're all afraid we might jinx our cars and break our life savings. :D

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Lol, this coming from a state and region in the world that invented rude and obnoxious....look at the kettle calling the pot black :D

19. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    #119 thedoc, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    so i guess this thread should be pretty much dead by now...

Gary
    Espada

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    I looked; you're correct; it's impressive.

Given that you're located in Barrie and the shop's location in Toronto, I assume it's where you take your Ferrari for servicing?

21. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Fat chance!

22. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I was told to wait for the other side of the story.

Still waiting...

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Now that is funny! Seriously though, it really puts things into perspective, brilliant.

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Houston, Texas? Invented rude and obnoxious? Huh? You've never been here then.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I was last winter, lots of big boobs. Made me think of the saying "everything is bigger in texas" :)