The restoration of s/n 23357 | FerrariChat

The restoration of s/n 23357

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by zwoemba, May 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    This car is not mine, but from a good friend. Just wanted to share the pics :). It's a 400 GT, located in Belgium.

The car has been purchased in 2000. The car had A LOT of rust, because the previous owner didn't take too much care of it. Car was a real garage queen. So the car was bought as a 'project'. 6 years later, it's almost finished. The restoration didn't take 6 years, but it took a long time to start... After that, it went pretty fast. As you can see in the pics, car had to been repainted, engine needed to be checked...

Due the restoration we've discovered a lot of the car. By example, we didn't knew that the mirror in the interior had a Volvo signature... :D

Most important thing that has to be done is the interior. Cleaning up will help a lot... :). There won't be a 'new' interior with new leather and so on... The owner wants to show the age of the car.

Carburetor will probably also need a check-up.

So some final touches, and the car is ready to be driven in the summer :) It absolutely makes a fantastic noise, great to see the enginge 'work' when it's running. And I'm also in love with the seats... They're fantastic!

The pictures can be found here:
    http://www.grabx-art.be/gallery/gallery.html

(restauratie 400 GT gallery, top left)

Kind regards and enjoy!

Jeroen

2. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Wow!!!! It's alway amazing to see a Ferrari being resurrected. Congratulations and Excellent work!!!!

3. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    sweet looking car. what is that blue called? i think blue is my favorite color on ferraris.

john

4. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    Actually, I have no idea how the blue is called, but i'll inform for it!
    Sorry for the late reply...

The car needs a long ride after the restoration and at the end of Juni, the Ferrari Racing Days will be organised at the circuit of Spa-Francorchamps. They will go with the 400, so that will be around 500 km's to drive... :) And lot's of pics and movies!

I could go with the Ferrari but then I should sit in the back of the car. His E36 M3 is already a bit too small for me, so I won't go with the Ferrari.

Anyway, it's great to have the car on the roads again :)

The car has now to go the technical inspection, insurance has to be done, license plate... and it's ready :)

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    It seems like they used a lot of filler on the lower body panels.

6. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    It appears so, however, I am restoring a 365 GT4 2+2 and have also taken it down to bare metal. I noticed a few items regarding the body. Lead was used on all of the seams where the panals go together. On these hand built cars there was no filler per se, yet the primer coats were unbelievably thick, and on mine multiple colors..white and black. Almost like a skin coat. It appears that they primered and sanded, primered and sanded and then primer and sanded some more. May be why a lot of early cars crazed and cracked. We used filler in places where there was no bodywork or damage just to fare the panels instead of using the primer as filler approach. Looked very consistent with the photos... probably not as thick as you might think. Nice work on the car it gives me hope that mine to will be on the road in another year.

7. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    Well, it looks worse then it is, but the car wasn't in a good condition. There is a lot of filler used but not so much as you may think :)

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    This is such a good looking car. Especially in this shade of blue. Thanks for posting. I absolutely love this particular specimen of the 400.

9. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    You may take a closer look at it during the Ferrari Days :) Maybe we can go with the group to the car after the F-Chat meeting :)