The Repo Man commeth... | FerrariChat

The Repo Man commeth...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by energy88, May 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Interesing indeed.

"It had four small cameras mounted on the trunk and a laptop bolted to the dash. The high-speed cameras captured every passing license plate."

Small? Those things are HUGE.

3. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I know someone who had their stolen BMW recovered by this technology...so it works both ways...

I guess the take-home message is to make your car payment.

4. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I block the internet trackers as much as I can, and here is a company who say they intend to track ALL vehicle movements in their locality using a fleet of camera cars. This information will no doubt be traded with others in the same business, but also those in other sectors and collected and collated by the firms whose sole purpose is tracking and building a profile that begins with a photo of you. Its uncivilised.

5. davidnz

davidnz Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    Carrollton, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Nazem
    Old news.....I have been Utilizing Automated License Plate Recognition (ALPR) since 2009 .....it's just another tool in the recovery process.....most if not all law enforcement has the same system in use......

Gmaccormack likes this.
  6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    How does the billing and payment work for a "hit" identified by big data? It seems that whoever is out driving around "gathering" the data would probably receive some credit or payment for each contribution. Who matches a tag to a VIN? I can see where a lender might know this when issuing a repossession order. If not, then I would assume that either the lender or big data would need to go thru DMV to make the match to ensure that the correct vehicle is recovered.

7. davidnz

davidnz Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    Carrollton, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Nazem
    There are couple big re-sellers that most companies work for and they provide the back office support for hard and software and act as bridge to the lenders on "hot hit" ...the reseller owner the data and the scanning company get a commission if the data is sold ....also u get to recover the unit on the "live hits" that is scanned ...
    lets say "x" bank is part of the program then repo agent has to get setup as vendor and once u scan a wanted unit they will drop the order real time......I have my own stand alone system and servers for last 6 years ..I get to keep all the revenue and own all data and set my own terms and pricing .....the re-sellers benefit the most as the Data is sold in many applications such as private detectives,Law firm, Marketing companies and so on......

As for DMV bridge We have access same as law enforcement ...all recovery orders are tied to a VIN first .....our software matchs the vin to a current Plate and what state it is issued in and fills in the blank and adds to the current hotlist ......its update every 30 minutes realtime and it pushed to the field .......

For us the historical scans is the major tool.....as we get new orders the system will alert where and when we have seen the unit and cuts down running old address etc...