The rebuild of #40557 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The rebuild of #40557

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SlickMurphy, Nov 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

There are a lot of problems with modern replacement headgaskets for Ferrari V-12s. Poke around Tom Yang's site. There has been much discussion about replacement headgasket problems. I think they settled on the ones out of Australia but you should look and see for yourself.

Regards,

Art S.

2. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Art,
    it was our discussion some time ago that was at the forfront of my mind when i quizzed both Claudio at Eurospares and John at Trutlands about this.
    it was John who assured me that the problem was an isolated defective batch from Elring and Claudio who assured me that they've never had a problem with the Reinz gaskets. a defective batch of Elring's aside, they are a much higher quality gasket and my one and only experience with Reinz has left a bad taste in my mouth. for interests sake, we are going to pull one head and install the single Elring i had in stock and perform the hydraulic test again before we replace the second Reinz. stay tuned...

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #53 brettski, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    yup...the Reinz head gaskets are junk and the Elring is a far superior product. even the way they fit around studs is night and day...

on to Davids front suspension and brakes now that the car is back from the painter where it got a couple of chips addressed, a four stage cut and polish and the front spoiler repainted. the car is really solid, rust free and the paint is in very clean 'driver' condition.

his lower control arm bushings have been replaced and we're waiting for new kingpin bushings for up top, he has new shock bushings, his sway bar bushings were new, his wheel bearings have been cleaned and repacked, his brake calipers will be rebuilt and his rotors turned w/ new pads.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jonny042

Jonny042 Rookie

Dec 20, 2008
    Hi Brett,

That car looks really solid, I'm sure Dave's happy to have it!

Thanks for posting some actual "nuts and bolts" pictures, It's great to be able to follow along as you progress.

It's pretty hard to find any detailed info on the workings of these cars anywhere else.... without actually buying one and taking it apart..... :)

5. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thanks Jon,
    chances are there will be one 'apart' when you visit.
    all the best,

brett

6. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    It´s so cool to have actually have seen the car when I visited your shop. I can recommend a visit to everyone to Brett´s shop. I have learned some things on my own car which are really usefull now when I´m putting it back together.

Nice work, Jan

7. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Great thread Brett! :D

8. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Brett, what compression ratio did you select on the new pistons? My C4 is looking at an engine rebuild soon, and I have read that one can raise the CR from stock with little downside and a good boost in HP. Also,are your cams stock?
    Thanks
    Mike

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    hey Mike,
    stock CR, w/original pistons, new rings, new main/rod bearings, stock cams, new valves, guides, seats.
    at the moment, with the gear we have, we can't engage in performance mods...no flow bench, no dyno.

...but i doubt we'll ever go in that direction...i'd rather a paint booth and an upholsterer(sp)....we won't presume to out engineer Ferrari.

...but, out of curiosity, can you 'really' realize the benefits of a high compression piston with a simple piston swap ?
    "a good boost in HP"...surely you need porting and a cam grind to truly realize the the benefits, no ? i confess, i'm no engineer.

good luck with your rebuild Mike and please keep us posted,

brett

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

As a rule, compression rise of 9:1 to 10:1 is worth roughly 7% efficiency gain but you will need to do some adjusting to geyond the pistons to get there. I think you are wise not to start fiddling, remember there is a reliability/longevity vs. performance tradeoff tobe made.

Regards,

Art S.

11. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    noted Art, thanks.

12. VEEP

VEEP Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Overasselt
    just curious (can buy a 400 auto with the engine in parts next to it..) how many hours will putting together such an engine take??

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #63 ArtS, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    Veep,

If you know what you are doing and have the correct tools, about 120 hours (maybe less, considering it is already apart). However, the parts cost, depending on what is needed will be between $5k and $20k.

Regards,

Art S.

14. VEEP

VEEP Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Overasselt
    Thanks Art,

If I am correctly informed by the seller of the car all the new parts I need are there (liners, pistons, gasketsets and so on) , also the heads are allready done, the block is cleaned.etc etc. So if he has done his shopping correct (and THAT is the big question) it is ""just"" a matter of putting it together again. 120 hours is what my mecanic estimated also. Next saterday I check the car out (besides the engine it will need someday a exhaust, or part of it, the tires are old, the brakes will be seized allthough the car has been moved around is his word.. I will keep you posted overhere ..

regards, Walter

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Walter,

Ask yourself this: If this is all that is required, why has it not been done? Proceed with caution.

Regards,

Art S.

16. VEEP

VEEP Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Overasselt
    they say lack of time.. But I will be careful yes (be sure of that after 25 years of italian cars and many contacts with people that can be trusted, and also some that can not...)

Thanks for the input,

Walter

17. VEEP

VEEP Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Overasselt
    Sorry for hijacking this topic by the way.. I turn away from this one, someone else clearly wanted to spend more money than me on the car, its as good as sold, had no time to look at it but I am not sorry it is gone.
    another one will surely come someday!

18. timthetooth

timthetooth Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    The first two pictures of the engine on the hoist in that last batch made me think you were going to put it back in the car the wrong way round. Glad to see you got it right eventually, it really looks great. I am very jealous, my similar car is filthy under the bonnet!

19. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Really impressive. Must be a delight putting such a clean engine back together. I wish that was my engine bay.......

Jan

20. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Did the engine run last monday? Just curious.

Regards, Jan

21. gamby

gamby Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    Agreed. That engine is beautiful.

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    thanks for taking the time. shows us all what a shop you run. looks as if i made the right decision to park.

23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    not until Wednesday morning Jan...and it sounded incredible... an exhaust note to die for.

the simple custom center sections pictured above with the Ansa 412 silencers is a fantastic (and inexpensive) way to achieve a glorious sound.

like a slightly muted 70's race car...a really, really beautiful sound that took me a bit by surprise...there is some serious sound in those injected 12's.