The real F40 with VIN 90969? (2nd is 85397) | Page 17 | FerrariChat

The real F40 with VIN 90969? (2nd is 85397)

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Aircon, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Further investigation and new Australian and Japanese documents obtained today have revealed this:

The F40 crashed by Japanese dentist Akihiro Kawanabe 21 May 1994 near Alice Springs/AUS during the Cannonball Run is 85632.
    The wreck was sent from AUS back to Japan. It was then repaired. 85632 was then sold to the second owner, on 19 September 2008, to Mr. S. T., in Japan, who still owns it today. I now have the paperwork for all this.

Which means that the Cannonball crash car has zero to do with the 90969 of fchatter "F40-R" in AUS nor does it have anything to do with that "blue F40 recently available from UK dealer Kaaimans".
    The question remains what the true identity of that "blue F40 in the UK" is and why it seems to have (temporarily?) used the identity of "90969".

Marcel Massini

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Great update, and the cannonball car was a red herring after all! so I guess we now wait for a sighting of the blue F40 in a new guise.

So we now know the cloning was not to disguise that horrific accident, which makes the matter more murky as to its original back story.

It may never have even been to Aus, and the use of 90969s VIN probably happened when both examples were in Japan.

Sounds like it went the same route out of Europe and into Japan that many of the lost cars followed.

3. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Is there a list somewhere of all the stolen/missing F40s?

Presumably Ferrari dealers must have a list of Vins from the factory to watch out for?

4. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    How could the car have been insured if the registration plate didn't relate to the car?
    and if he had instead insured the Vin number then wouldn't ANPR have picked up that the registration plate wasn't insured?

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    It entirely used the numbers from the Mexican road spec car from the day it hit the road after its race career was over, being a race car it had no VIN stampings so MOT testers were probably fobbed off with that reason. if they searched and could not find one.

Yes it could have become sticky come any insurance claim, back then though the GTR was the runt of the F1 litter, the last long term owner had even worked for Mclaren and probably picked it up for a song when they were no longer competitive. After first being registered in the UK, the Mexican car was never correctly exported by notifying dvla so in theory it was still in the UK! Over here you can simply apply for the V55 registration document, the dept write to the last registered owner for confirmation, if they do not respond then after 4 weeks the dept issues a new V55 registration document to the applicant. Many an exported car now has a twin in the UK if the exporter did not fill out the paperwork, and just shipped it out.

He would have been aware that the Mexican car was long gone though and probably just used its ID as an easy way to road register the car for a year or two, which then became 5, 10, 20. in which time they rocketed in value, In the last 12 months the car has been "first registered" by a new owner as the correct race chassis number, and the Mexican ID quietly forgotten about, until VinWiki ran a post on you tube about the Mexican car not long ago.

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Check out fchat, there are at least two separate threads re stolen and/or missing F40s. You will find answers. Use the search function.

Marcel Massini

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Next step is WHERE is F40 #85397 today?

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and PAUL500 like this.
  8. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    so the Blue F40 had Assembly #02475 on the tag - but we don't know if that is an original or genuine assembly number to the blue car - could have been created, added, cloned at some point.

We know that Assembly #02475 belongs to chassis 85397 when the car was created originally at the factory.

Marcel to your knowledge is chassis 85397 is one of the 30 know lost/stolen F40s?

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Looks very genuine to me. Not a repro.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  10. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Guess it will re-appear with the right VIN v the build assy number, amazing no one gets busted for Fraud on this.

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    given the results of Marcel's investigation, i think the title of this thread should be changed so that the owner of 90969 does not have to deal with this anymore.

armedferret, Macula, ChipG and 3 others like this.
  12. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    or we can all agree that the red 90969 is the correct and original car.

Will also be chasing up Ferrari for a final resolution to this matter.

chrixxx likes this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The factory is already on this case.
    Law enforcement is involved.

Marcel Massini

wrxmike, Tenney, AtSomePoint and 2 others like this.
  14. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    it should hopefully be finalised today... the car has been sitting with the dealer for a few weeks now.

15. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Which car? Which dealer?

16. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The F40 in Sydney ( real #90969 ) has been at Ferrari North Shore for verification.

Krisatcruz likes this.
  17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    good.
    this needs to be resolved once and for all for you.
    it is not fair to have you and your car dragged any further in this story.

18. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    20/10/2015: The warranty and handbooks belonging to 85632 were offered for sale by David Gizzi in California.

19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Instead of giving it to the owner of the car? Nice.

AiiGee and luigisayshello like this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I am NOT talking about the red car in AUS.
    I am talking about the blue one in the UK.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and chrixxx like this.
  21. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    To be honest as soon as I saw this case, I just thought of the chassis of f40 that burned in Monaco and literally just get that frame and vin, put it on this blue one (that besides the shanky vin is one of cleanest better state f40s I've seen, every bit and bob is pristine) properly painted red, add perspex on it goes.

As long as the price makes sense (it would be a lesser price sore if it wasn't already registred in the UK) and the frame can be bought for an equal decent value, no brainer for a usable extremely fit f40. Phoenix f40s in good state trade 15-20% lower than middle of the market, if car can be bought for 600k and frame for 25-50k it's the steal of the century (pun intended).
    All it will need is some vin welding, paint, inspection in Monaco et voilá.

22. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Do you specialize in these, and can you give us some specific examples?

23. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    the Monaco Car is currently in rebuild and will look pristine when done. The burned remains went wide over 25k

Bas and AtSomePoint like this.
  24. Collesano

Collesano Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    England UK
    The Monaco car had its own thread started when it caught fire in February last year.

Some photos below from a workshop in Monaco, its pickup and from the workshop where it was sent to be rebuilt.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147252751/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147269392/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147275422/ (Calvatone, Cremona)

Since this thread was started the 90969 F40 in Australia seems to have been proven beyond doubt to be the genuine, correct car.
    Maybe we will get some clarification about the Classiche certification process, initially was claimed that the blue F40 had a Red Book too.(?)

What remains to be seen is what chassis number the blue car had originally, and the associated circumstances.

chrixxx, of2worlds and Marcel Massini like this.
  25. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    I remember seeing it on the transporter with another f40 (unburnt ) going to Italy last year, Zanazi I assume? I know it was one of the main ones.
    My comment was more based on the concept and a bit of day dreaming, that f40 had a panache about it, maybe it was the patina x the perspex x straight pipes.

Was the frame more or less than 200k? Good opportunity for someone to own a brand new f40 for what I will assume not much more than a bill pending used f40