The Quail 2019: Seems to be four openings for Ferraris (in bold) | FerrariChat

The Quail 2019: Seems to be four openings for Ferraris (in bold)

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bitzman, Mar 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The Quail is a very exclusive concours that takes place in Carmel Valley during Monterey Car Week. It differs from Pebble in being vastly more expensive but having several restaurants so once you are in, you can choose from each. Also it has sort of "lounges" with couches to sit on in various booths, and lots of new cars being displayed around the perimeter, the most expensive cars on the market. The word " exclusive" I am using to say only a set amount of tickets are issued, many ordered in advance and unavailable after that, unlike Pebble Beach where you can buy a ticket on the day of the event.
    Featured Themes for 2019 already announced:

• Pre-War Sports and Racing
    • Post-War Sports
    • Post-War Racing
    • Supercars
    • The Great Ferraris
    • Custom Coachwork
    • Sports and Racing Motorcycles
    • Celebrating 70 years of the Iconic Porsche 356

So what I don't know yet is: whether custom coachwork will have some Ferraris and that defination of "supercars" is getting awfully inclusive. What does it take to be a supercar now? Over 200 mph?. How recent are they going to go with customs--even including the bespoke cars Ferrari is making under special order now?

Additional Featured Classes to be Announced

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The club is currently defining supercars as 288, F40, F50, Enzo, La Ferrari, La Ferrari Aperta and FXX.

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Sounds reasonable.I remember when CAR magazine in England thought up that phrase, when they were testing a Boxer. But now it's kind of hard to fit if you go by mph ,I think there's even a Bentley that goes over 200mph. But Iike the club's choices for that title

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Can't keep moving the goal posts. Performance wise a 288 isn't special anymore. we need to respect what it was. Had the term existed a 1936 540k would have been a supercar.

Performance wise a TR and a 288 were very close. The limited production aspect of 288 is the key. I believe that is an essential element.

SonomaRik, AClark and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    How about a category for "Cool Cars?"

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A real Ferrari guy would say that was all of them.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My 1983 308 GTS was invited to Quail last year in the "Great Ferrari's" category. My wife, who is not a car person, really enjoyed herself, as did I.

Because Quail is not a concours, their definition of categories is loose. It's more Pebble Beach style; a beauty contest with the fanciest car winning each category. Last year a 1958 250 Testa Rossa won the "Great Ferrari's" category. Supercars will be defined however they want them to be. What they put in to define the category will be what they can get.

There is a tremendous commercial presence at Quail. In the queue to enter the venue, I had a Pagani in front of me and two behind. Singer (Porsche) had a big display, Jim Glickenhaus had is latest fancy car parked right in front of mine (a comical moment was when I walked over to say "hi" and Mr Glickenhaus hit me with the full-on sales pitch about buying a car worth more than my house), etc.

The food is great. The atmosphere is great. Attendees are very open about admiring and commenting on cars. I got a lot of love for my lowly 308 in a pond with a lot of big fish. It was a nice experience.

Randy R likes this.
  8. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That sounds like a boat load of fun!

But I am a bit confused. Being a long time Italiano Concourso attendee with my Maseratis and then going this year with my Ferrari, it is basically a pay for an attendance package and have fun. How do you get invited to the Quail? And will my 2008 599GTB qualify?

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I’ve attended Concorso Italiano too (my 308 is Platinum). Quail is like Pebble Beach in that you “apply to be invited”. They select from a suite of applicants and invite only those. As part of the application, they ask for a good photograph and a write-up regarding your car.

I don’t really know what criteria they use. I left nothing to chance and pitched my write-up on why my car was “unique”. My pitch was that the 1983 308 GTS is the apex of 308 lineage because 1983 was the last year made with complex and attractive black paint job on the A & B pillars and the first year with the desirable Quattrovalvole (4 valve) engine. (… In making this king-of-the-castle claim, the FChat 308 mob will now probably come at me with torches and pitchforks.)

The 2018 Quail had a suite of 3x8s, so maybe they wanted a panorama of some sort. The next newer and older than my car were a pristine 308 GT4 and a 6,000 mile 328 GTB. David Lee also showed for the first time his 246 Evo (with the F40 engine) and his car was the first in the line-up of cars with the same Ferrari bloodline as mine.

As for a 599 GTB, give it a try. Some say that the number of exhibitors in car shows are dropping in attendance and that getting into shows like Quail are much easier than in past years. Who knows. Make up a good story and punt! … and be warned: they still make you pay big money to attend!

10. FerrariFinally

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the info Brian A, and I believe your reasoning for getting your 308 in was a good one (last year cars (in terms of certain details of a model) always make a bigger splash)).

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They ask a lot of people in and around the industry to submit names of people with cars we thing would be a good fit. When I was in California I was asked to be one of the people submitting candidates.

12. FerrariFinally

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ah...so it always comes down to more of "who" you know as opposed to "what" you know.

13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    My Speciale got rejected but my 600LT made it in. I personally think the Speciale is a more special car but I guess they do not feel the same way.