The project thread! | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The project thread!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by preston400i, Apr 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I like the export idea...

2. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I would try Several states, Miss, North Dakota, South Dakota to run your paper work through for openers.

I live in Washington State, and here you can build a car from assembled parts have it inspected by the State Patrol, they will issue a vin number and then u wait 3 years and if there are no challenges they will issue you a good title.

It used to be called a bonded title but now its a legal registration licensed and you can insure the car and drive it on the road. After the 3 year period, you apply for a title and the sate will issue you a legal title.

I'm sure other states have a similar process for guys building rat rods that have no legal documentation. I would take your paperwork to a title agency and tell them you bought this car withour a power train, in other words you purchased a body shell. You then found a motor and needed parts to complete the ar. Now you want to dirve it and license it for road use, what are the hoops you need to jump thru.

As I said Washington State has this procedure and it works very nicely. I have several brass era cars that were built and sold long before titles were issued in our state. We just have to have them inspected and a state issued vin and wait 3 years and we are then titled. I have also titled several race cars I own this very way.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spider
    1987 Lotus Esprit
    2 many brass era cars.

3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Try this..Wrap your mind around succeeding..keep making several calls to your DMV. You will eventually find someone who is simpathetic to your cause, and I I'll bet you a nose full of nickels that when that certain someone sees this most wonderful masterpiece, they will help you. No one wants to see this work of art go for naught. You will find someone with "authority" eventualy. Zen out on the negative and just do it. Remember to say to everyone that you call, say"Hello, I'm..,and I need your help..Can you help me?". No one wants to say no when asked to help. Sales 101. Also, AAA in many states can help and/or set you in the right direction.. Sometimes going right through the front door actually works. It might not even be locked. Just think of it as "on-line dating". Remember that there's someone out there for everyone. I hope that this is of some value. Thank you. Jacques.

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    A call to Dick Merritt would be worthwhile. Dick would be a sympathetic. But more importantly, he may hold the key nobody else knows exists. Plus, he's cheaper than a lawyer.

Preston, Dick used to be in a position of authority regarding gray market cars. I believe he still is in that position. Even if he is not, I'm sure he has a lot of knowledge.

5. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Oh, alright. I'll make one more push. But just for the record, I'd rather do the physical part of the project all over again than deal with this legal red tape. The DMV is not famous for being helpful. I recall a line from The Simpsons: "Some days we don't let the line move at all. We call those 'weekdays'."

Here's what I'm going to try: I went through my file, and I guess I must have been blind before, but the insurance company and the salvage yard are both named on the title. It also states 'Owner Declared'. In California, the form used to apply for a non-repairable certificate is the same as the one used to apply for a salvage title. I'm going to try to persuade the insurance company that the car was fixable, (of which I have irrefutable physical evidence) then convince the California DMV that the wrong box was checked on the form. Hopefully, they will overturn the nonrepairable brand.

Wish me luck!

6. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Good luck!

Did you just overlook the title issues when you acquired the car?

7. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    I didn't overlook the title issues, but I never imagined they would cause this much trouble. I thought I could establish title through the bond process and be done with it.

Update: After talking to the CA DMV at several levels, they faxed me a sample letter that the insurance company can write to change the title status from non-repairable to salvage. Now it's just a matter of calling State Farm agents in central California until I find the adjuster that made the claim, and persuading them to write the letter.

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #183 samsaprunoff, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    While I was looking for threads that may mention windshield wiper arms, I stumbled upon this old thread and read it to completion. Although quite old, I am surprised that the final result of the car's monumental resurrection was not completed within the same thread? Anyone know of what happened to this car?