The project thread! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The project thread!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by preston400i, Apr 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    I already replaced the battery. I will look at the solenoid tomorrow, but the noise is kind of an erratic buzz and not a disengaged starter whir.

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sounds like a weak battery or possibly bad connections.

Charge it up good, clean up the connections and try again.

3. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Any updates on the project? Excellent work so far!

4. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    +1 What's up? :) I love these project threads...

5. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Not much progress to report because I seldom have much time to work on it. I'm still chasing the starter problem, but all I've really done is check fuses/connections and replace the battery. I'm hoping the starter itself isn't the problem, because it looks like a nightmare to remove.

Judging by some recent threads, it seems like the 400 starters are all going at the same time...

6. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    I hate to say it guys, but I'm getting nowhere fast on this project. I'm lucky to work on it for half an hour every third week. I've had it for over two years, and I'm not really that far along. Stuff is failing from lack of use faster than it is being fixed.

Here's what I think I want to do: Sell everything (Duetto, XK8, and -sorry- the 400) and just buy one nice Ferrari. Possibly another 400, possibly something else, but I think consolidation is the way to go. I think I can keep one easily, but I can't restore one while maintaining two others. I just don't have that kind of time these days.

The big question becomes, would anyone be willing to take on this project? I don't think it would be a problem getting it sold, but I think most people see it as a parts car. My hope is that it will be saved, even though that goes against the golden rule that a cheap Ferrari needing work is a lot more expensive than a nice one in the end.

I know I can count on everyone for honest input.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hey where is Brett?

8. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    #108 Protouring442, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Bah! Don't give up, stop and take a rest. My '72 442 project has been going on for something like 13 years.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
  10. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Preston

Don't get dispirited now, keep working on it when you get the chance. I might sell the other two and concentrate on the 400. It will be quite an achievement when you finally take it for a drive in restored state. Keep that goal in mind, however distant it may seem!

Aidan

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    No need to make a decision now. Just roll it into the garage and get to it when ya can. I've got a 67 Mustang that's been parked for a decade so far :)

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    tell me about car 8596191441

13. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    no, no, no, no, noooooooooo...not this time.

all the luck in the world to Preston, but this one was out of my league.

14. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    #114 preston400i, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
    I suppose I'll keep plugging away. It's just discouraging that every time I go to work on it, something else has broken. I feel like Sysiphus.

I've done a few things to make the garage a better work area, so maybe that will help my motivation.

Perhaps I'll sell the other two cars and buy another 400 so that I have something to refer to as I try to re-assemble this one. It's been a while; I'm not sure I remember how it goes together!

15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    GOOD GOD NO!!!

16. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    So when I try to start this thing it rains fuel from the left pump. It comes from what looks like a return line fitting - Is the pump shot or is it some sort of relief valve telling me that there's a clog further up the line?

Last call for the rear clip from the donor body or it's going to the crusher - free or best offer.

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    had leak on 400i. sys has electric fuel pump then 'S' line followed by fuel accumulator. new fuel pump stopped leak. $90 same delorean or MBenz. noticed stress over your project. some years are same length as days, am long slough in the swamp all the best. i am sure new US president would swap his job for your project

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Preston,

Is there a picture of the rear clip posted anywhere?

Regards,

Art S.

19. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006

Yes sir, first page of this thread, post # 15 or so. You just have to imagine it with no roof, which is now on my car.

The inner fenders, trunk floor, etc. are gone, so it's really only the outer panels that are of any use.

On another note, it is the accumulator that is leaking and not the fuel pump. If anyone can give me a quick lead on one, I'd appreciate it!

20. Bradm

Bradm Rookie

Dec 1, 2007
    Tampa. FL
    Below is a copy of my first post on Fchat many months ago, I had to scratch up a couple of fuel accumulators for my 412 and you'll have to check the part numbers to see if its the same for the 400. Pricing may be slightly higher now but was correct when originally posted.

Hi, I'm new to this board, but thought I'd share a source for fuel accumulators and fuel filters that I just replaced this last week on my '87 412. The fuel accumulator is Bosch 0 438 170 004 at $151.68 and the fuel filter is Bosch 0 450 905 021 Bosch short number 71020 (comes without end fittings and you re-use the end fittings off your old filter) at $4.92. Hope this helps.
    The source for the Accumulators and filters above is: www.autohausaz.com

21. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is the accumulator leaking from the little hose fitting that doesn't have a hose on it?

They leak from there when the internal bladder fails. If you change one, you should change both.

Where you at? If not too far, I'd like to take a ride over and help you get her started.

22. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    It is leaking from the fitting with no hose, and I came to the same conclusion. At first glance I thought the accumulator was the pump.

I'm in Grand Junction, Colorado, which is quite a way from...anywhere, really.

23. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry, that's a little far.

24. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006

I should've listened to your advice! I only replaced the offending accumulator, thinking it was kind of an expensive part to replace just because, but I got it running and took it to the gas station so I could fill it up while fuel is cheap. (Yes, I drove it without windows, lights, mirrors, license plates, insurance, or an interior of any kind, but at least I had a chase vehicle.) The wind chill was some cold, and a box doesn't offer a lot of lateral support in cornering, but it was still fun. When I got it back I discovered another fuel leak. Roughly the same spot on the car front to back, but on the other side. Irony being what it is, I'm sure it's the other accumulator. Live and learn.

On a more positive note, the bodywork is progressing nicely. More photos soon.

25. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Thanks for the update, Preston. Great that you got to drive it!

Keep up the good work.

Aidan