The project thread! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The project thread!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by preston400i, Apr 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    I'm ashamed to admit this, but I've hardly touched it for over a month.

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Danger!!! You've enter the "restoration time zone" where tomorrow becomes next year and someday becomes never!

3. sicurvetro

sicurvetro Rookie

Mar 23, 2006
    Hi,
    the windshield-supplier in Finland is here!
    My company manufactures windshields for almost any (series-production and some done in a few pieces only) classic Ferrari,as well as for other sportscars, too.
    We have the 365/499 GT/4 2+2 front glass available, as well as the heated rear-glass, too (although the rear is done only in larger batches, so is available only periodically as we do none to stock...)

We mainly supply car-manufacturers and carrozzerias etc. with their special needs (low quantities to one-offs).

Send me a private mail if you haven't found a glass closer by yet!
    -we do have shipments going all around the world all the time, so maybe there's something going your way soon to share in freight-costs (?) !

yours from sunny Finland,
    Antti Wihanto
    parabrezze SICURVETRO
    Finland
    www.sicurvetro.com
    www.concours.fi
    +358-40-551 9841 (+2 hrs to GMT)

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Preston any update?

5. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    The latest:

I've kind of hit a wall with this thing. The new roof is tacked on, but I haven't re-done the spot welds or anything because I'm not sure about the placement. I have a very broken windshield that I used for rough alignment, but it's so flexy that I don't trust it for final positioning. The whole project hinges on the windshield. I went to OKC this week to try to pull one out of a parts car, but broke it TWICE just taking the trim off. F***! I tell ya, I'm about this |----| far from throwing in the towel.

Oh, Ferrari of Denver said there was a list being put together and that there would be another production run of windshields in three years.

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Preston...save yourself $3000, and try to adapt an american windshield. I am sure it won't be a perfect fit, but you are doing metal work anyway, so get creative!!!

I still like my original idea of making it into a convertible... You will have a neat one-off car, and you seem like the creative type...

When the ferrari dealer makes those windshields in 3 years, they will cost 1/2 the value of your car, unfortunately...

7. Grumpy B

Grumpy B Karting

May 31, 2005
    South Bay
    Full Name:
    Don
    I might have a line on a couple of parts cars here in ca. I will look into on monday or tuesday depending on who is open.

Don

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Ferrari 400i Barchetta......

:) Why not just measure the heck out of a proper opening and do it that way? Would that not work?

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Preston,

Don't give up! You are at the toughest point, just push through!

Good Luck!

Art S.

10. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What a great project and as already noted fitting for such a fine auto. 928's (which I am very familiar with) get the same kind of poor treatment, so you are to be applauded for your effort! Here, Here!! Have you considered having a poly carb windshield made for the car and then just use that till a new glass one can be found? Not sure of costs or difficulty, but might at least be an option. I know many race cars use them so they must be strong and functional...

11. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    I'm on the verge of doing a plastic/lexan/polycarbonate one, at least temporarily. I'd like to get my hands on the real thing for sizing and positioning, though. I guess, given the crash history and a few of its other problems, I shouldn't get too hung up on picky details. I'll keep plugging away.

12. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Preston,

Did not see the private massage for a few days. Check yours and call me.

Rick

13. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Preston,
    Your doing a fantastic job!
    Based on the F factor, you can't push the project faster than its natural speed. The parts for these are very rare and you just have wait until they come along. If you try to force finding the right part, you'll spend a ton of money.
    I know its frustrating, not being able to drive her and always being faced with more work to do. But, hang in there.

I helps to convince yourself that you enjoy working on her as much as driving.

Its funny, once you get involved with something like this it becomes a second life. Just don't let it ruin your first one.

Good luck.

14. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Thanks to the extreme generosity of a fellow fchatter, I now have the windshield that was keeping me from going forward. Body, paint, and re-installation of the interior should get it on the road.

15. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    YEA! That is awesome news! Just like Sebastian is doing! I love seeing these cars getting put back together! It is just a shame to see good cars sent on to the great here after!

James
    Austin, TX

16. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Preston

Just joined the site as a Rookie 365 GT4 2+2 owner, see my thread .....'transplant'.

I've got a 400i that I'll be using as the donor for my own insane project, (complete with glass all round) although I'm only after the dash and console at this stage and will therefore be left with a ton of good spares. If things don't work out on the rear windshield just let me know.

Don't lose heart,

Mike

17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    time for more pics!!!

18. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Yes! Glad to hear you are making progress.

I'm looking forward to your pics when you are ready. Keep at it and best of luck!!

19. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Latest update:

We've been finishing up the welding and starting on some bodywork. It doesn't look much different yet so I'll withold pictures until it does.

I'm starting to think about paint. The original color was a brownish burgundy (not sure of the exact color name) but it was given a very thorough black paint job at some point. I'm thinking about the following paint options, and I'm open to input. In no particular order:

1. Keep it black. Black is my favorite color for this model but I'm not sure I have the patience to do the bodywork to the standard that a good black paint job requires. Plus, it'll always be hot and hard to keep clean.
    2. Return it to the original burgundy. This is best for originality's sake and will be more forgiving than black, but I'm not crazy about the color.
    3. Jaguar anthracite. This is the color that was used on many XKR/XJRs. It's metallic black but the metal flakes are copper/bronze. This would look tight and might be more forgiving than plain black.
    4. Giallo Fly. Probably the easiest in terms of prep and painting, and very unusual. I haven't seen enough yellow 400's to get an idea of what it really looks like. I love it on all other Ferrari's though.
    5. Other suggestions? It has a tan interior, so what would look good with that?

The engine bay was black regardless of exterior color, right?

On another note, I'm giving away the rear clip that I took the roof from. There is no floor or interior panels, but the rear outer fenders and tail panel are in good shape. Free for the taking. If no one wants it I'll take it to the scrapyard as I'm tired of paying to store it.

20. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #70 aidanparte, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Preston

I would go for black or burgundy. I've seen a really gorgeous 412 in burgundy - see photo. Personally, I don't think yellow would look great, especially with the tan interior.

Keep up the good work!

Aidan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #71 Simon^2, Jun 1, 2008
  22. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    Good to see you're back in the game... press on, 'cause over here, i've got a bad case of the rear glass blues. I'm unclear as to your need for one, but if you do shoot me a PM, and i'll keep you in mind for any overage i may encounter from my Hemmings and FMN wanted ads.

That first pics on the thread really blows me away everytime i see it. I admire your courage. As far as color is concerned i think the car is far too elegant for yellow.

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I like the burgundy...

24. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    #74 Pcar928fan, Jun 1, 2008
    I like the Yellow/Tan personally and there is one for sale that if it checks out I would not mind owning... Would prefer Red/Tan but Yellow/Tan would SURE make a statement and EVERYONE would see you coming that is FOR SURE!

BTW, that 400 (or 412) pic looks more purple metallic than burgundy. Here is what Burgundy should look like:

James
    Austin, TX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Yellow on a 400? There was a yellow one (probably a repaint) for sale just recently and it looked all wrong IMHO.