The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Lots of Lambos, a 308GT4 and then the allegedly over-restored F-car.
    Seems inconsistent at best...

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    R U seRious?

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    :D

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    .....this is upsetting!
    that fabulous shop in the earlier pix of the red car turns out to be a chicken coop.... the Mk IV morphs into a countach replica.....one no longer knows what to believe......
    is this covered in the updates of the Rossa Thread Mr. G.?

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As Sharon Stone once said: "Anyone with 7 bucks knows I don't wear underwear."

Those that want to know are just going to send the cash to Rob to find out.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    REPLICA !!!!!!
    When my silver sub ends , ill upgrade to Rosso.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, just read the legend to the pictures, it is all explained right there.
    :)

8. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #133 P4Replica, Feb 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry for late the reply, Gentlemen ....
    Yes - definately a replica, as it's owner Kazuhiko Naiza (aka Benibuta) clearly states at the top of this page:
    http://www.benibuta.com/ferrari/benilife/21century_P4.html
    A Noble P4 replica (powered by a 3.5 litre Rover V-8 on Dellorto's, with a Renault transaxle) Chassis #031 ....
    and not a bad looking example of the (Noble) marque, IMHO ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    That's a great shot with Mt. Fuji (?) in the bg.
    Best

10. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Paul...I took a look...absolutely beautiful pictures of a beautiful car.
    Thankyou Paul.
    Best: Staff.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A question for Jim and P4Replica:

What's the story on those small front "wings" attached to the wheel fenders? I notice your cars have them, but the Japanese Noble replica doesn't. I guess either state would be correct, but let's hear it from the experts please.

12. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #137 P4Replica, Feb 26, 2005
    Not professing to be an 'expert', but ....
    They were obviously an early (and rudimentary) experiment in generating downforce - one would assume, designed to prevent lift at high speeds. The cars also carried adjustable rear tail spoilers, but these nearly always seemed to have been set in their lowest positions, for minimal drag.
    Most of the factory P4's (and the customer 412P's) seem to have had these front 'winglets' fitted at all of the races throughout the '67 season (including #0846 on the Targa Florio) - but with one notable exception - 330P4 #0858 - the second placed car at Le Mans ran WITHOUT them - the team obviously deciding to sacrifice top end stability for a couple of extra m.p.h. down the Mulsanne.
    Scrolling through my collection of photos, it was interesting to see how many of these front corner spoilers had been 'banged up' - particularly when the cars were driven by ('Wild') Willy Mairesse or Pedro Rodriguez.
    In fact, on a road-going replica, they are very vulnerable to damage (from getting too close to kerbs, when driving through towns), so in those situations I tend to leave them off my own car.
    Even cast in fibreglass, though, with the relatively moderate speeds my own P4 rep' is capable of - they obviously do work - Not long after I had fitted them, I noticed some minor gel-coat stress cracking around the rivnuts where they affix to the front (fibreglass) bodywork, after a 'quickish' run .... ;)

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    These were different days. When my MK-IV went down the Mulsanne it generated 958lbs of lift at 223mph. Dan Gurney told me that to brake for the Mulsanne cornor you had to make an appointment, (Lift) 15 seconds before you could begin to brake in order to give the front wheels time to land.
    Today's Audi's by comparsion make 3500 lbs. of downforce at 185mph.

There are many ways to plant a car and one is by using "canards" winglets on the nose and another is to induce rake. (Lower front/higher rear) I suspect 0858 used rake. The P4's top speed was 199mph. The MK-IV's were 223mph. Even though the P4's handled better in the turns when the flag waved 0858 was 32 miles behind J5.

14. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    I already have the engine, now can anyone tell me if there is a quality reproduction out there. The cars shape just moves me emotionally, especially after seeing the lot of them racing at Laguna Seca.

Best regards

Gary

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Please don't insult a Ferrari engine by placing it inside a Datsun Z chassis like a lot of those replicas.

16. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Horsefly, please don't insult me! I said quality repro. I didn't ask for opinions just information, you provided me with neither.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Gary, you have a real 250 GTO engine that's NOT sitting in a car right now...?

18. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    NNO, no, my engine is an early 1970's 4 cam V-12 so it would seem appropriate to put it into something ferrariesque.

Gary

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Look for Chelle here on FerrariChat. As far as I'm concerned, she is the expert on GTO replicas.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    A P3 or P4 replica would be more appropriate for that 365GT/4 2+2 engine or yours IMO ... but Chelle I think has the same engine in a Datsun based GTO replica.

Pete

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #146 P4Replica, Mar 12, 2005
    Agreed, Pete. Especially if you were to replace the side-draft Webers with fuel injection, like this custom Haltech set-up in a Norwood P4 - it really looks the part. ;)

22. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx Don,
    Gary,
    Measure the width of the engine at it's widest point. If you were considering one of the fiberglass z-chassis cars you need to be able to fit it between the shock towers. The narrowest point between the shock towers (on top where it's most critical) on those cars is 31.5" The framerails are 25" apart. Firewall to the crossmember is 21.5". Firewall to the radiator support is 39.5". Engine compartment is plenty long enough in the stock configuration but if you have a sidedraft carb setup then you would probably have to switch to a FI system like the beautiful setup Paul suggested.
    If you were looking to do a GTO on a custom chassis with fiberglass body I can get you in touch with someonewho makes the only fiberglass body that is accurate. His panels can be mounted on a z-chassis but to do it you need to EXTENSIVELY modify the bare shell. The only part of the chassis you would be using in the firewall, floor, windshield, and part of the roof.
    Aluminum bodied GTO replica's come either built from scratch or built on the chassis of another old ferrari. We have one of the latter with the SOHC engine made from like six cars with downdraft setup. Expect to spend well into six figures for one made to order.

We're currently redoing our z-chassied car with a 6 liter V12 and 6 speed. it's about 2300lbs with estimated 430hp. Anything can be done if you are willing to either spend the $ or do it yourself (or some combo of both) Where are you located? You're welcome to come look at our build up or at any of our cars. Let me know if you have some questions about these cars I'll answer whatever I can
    Pete - close- ours is single overhead cam though
    Paul - who do I contact to get one of those FI systems? I built a megasquirt system to manage the stock FI system on the new 12 in the Z-chassied car, but would be VERY interested in purchasing something like in that pic in a downdraft configuration.
    Chelle

23. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    chelle, thank you, the possibilities are limited only by the imagination and yes, my side draft motor. I,m not in a hurry so I will pick wisely. I would love to see your car. I have already checked into EFI for the motor and look forward to a unique build. Thanks again for the info.

Bert regards Gary

24. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #149 P4Replica, Mar 13, 2005
    Sorry, Chelle, I really don’t have an answer for you. The reason that I suggested such a system, was not for its compactness, but following on from Pete’s (PSk) suggestion that Gary’s 365GTC/4 motor might look more ‘correct’, installed in a P4 replica, rather than a 250GTO replica. A ‘real’ P4 motor would, of course, have been a 4-cam V-12, with fuel injection between the camshaft banks.
    I’m not that ‘au fait’ with Haltech myself. The fuel system in the photo in post #8 is fitted to Ed Cohen’s Norwood P4. This is the same car that was built for Dr. Bill Gordon in the early 90’s. When I was doing some research on the car, for my register, going back a year or so ago, I was fortunate to come across David Moore (‘speedmore’). See this recent post of his. David said that he had worked on this car (amongst others) when he worked for Bob Norwood. He told me that the fuel injection set-up was a custom Haltech EFI system – so you could try asking Dave – or Bob Norwood, himself.
    I did a little ‘googling’ on ‘Haltech fuel’ and came up with these two:
    http://www.racetep.com/haltechframe.html?src=overture&keyword=haltech
    http://www.haltech.com.au/about.htm
    Of course there are plenty of other U.S. based fuel system manufacturers you could try, like: http://www.kinsler.com/
    Here’s a photo of a scratch-built custom fuel injection system on a 330GT single cam motor, built by Jim Carpenter (then of Phoenix, AZ) in the back of another P4 replica.

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Chelle, sorry to hijack but, didn't you once mention that you also had a Lusso-based replica? If so, do you have photos and would you mind sharing the s/n? You can PM me directly if you wish.