The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtofreak

gtofreak Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    Bonaire, N.A.
    Brandoli said he built it for an Italian client. I never saw the complete car but assume it is somewhere in Italy.

2. gte250

gte250 Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Alwin Hietbrink
    #102 gte250, Feb 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    #103 Jan Biekens, Feb 9, 2005
    Thanks, nice pictures. It looks more if they were making an art model. It doesn't look like the tubular chassis the 156F1 had (see the attachment of a 1961 120° engine-chassis). I know someone also built a scale 1:2 model but I don't know were it now is located.

Regards
    Jan Biekens
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Maybe it was some forming jig/tool/guide for making the body? ... but definitely not engineering wise correct for taking any loads.

Pete

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Maybe it's a master where they beat/testfitted the bodypanels on?

6. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Most bodyshops use(d) wooden jigs

7. gtofreak

gtofreak Karting

Nov 5, 2004
    Bonaire, N.A.
    It is a jig to form the body. Brandoli had to return and or destroy the wooden bucks which they had owned for years. Apparently there had been a dispute between Scaglietti and Brandoli (who had worked for Scaglietti for twenty years). Brandoli then began to replace the wooden bucks by metal jigs. The photos I supplied show an 1:1 scale version, not a model.

8. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
  9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If you look at the 002C thread you'll see how both wood and metal frames are used by panel beaters to form. Metal frames allow you to test internal clearances which bucks do not.

10. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I was reading an early Cavallino last night regarding the 156 F1 that David Clarke had restored. There was also a mention that they were creating two more for a 3 car racing team. This was 1979-80. I was just curious if this was the same people mentioned in this thread.

David Goerndt

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Steve
    Not as a bussiness. The costs start at 250K and go up from there to heights you would not believe.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    David Clarke also built a number of "GTO's"

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Kevan, please refrain from reposting entire articles in this forum without the author's permission. I've shot en email off to Ed Niles (who's a user here) requesting his permission to allow the article to remain. In the future, a link alone would be more appropriate. Thanks!

[Edit: Following discussion with Ed Niles, I've deleted the text and have left the link in place.]

14. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Judging by what's been happening at Barrett-Jackson the last few years, a safer bet is to create a one-off Ferrari-esque resto-rod (vintage Ferrari meets lowrider), stuff a highly polished American lump in it, and sell it for $250,000 next year at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction. ;)

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #115 Napolis, Feb 10, 2005
  16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I thought of that Autoweek feature as well...quite the Hot Rod.

That Favre guy ended up dead, IIRC. Correct?

17. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    What copy of Cavallino was that in?

There is a 156/63 F1 in Italy, and Cuppellini has a front-engined 156F2/60.

David Clarke (seriously good bloke who died a couple of years ago) built (or rather Graypaul Motors, Ferrari dealer, who he owned at the time) two replicas of a Ferrari 256F1/60 for Anthony Bamford (JCB excavators magnate); they have been raced extensively in the UK and one of them is currently for sale.

They were built around genuine engines which Bamford had as spares for his genuine 256, which Obrist had and now Ecclestone.

Paul M

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    He of course, at one time also owned 0856. Someone I knew bought his last unfinished "GTO" and brought it back to the US. At the time David said he would sell 0856 for 1 million US. "If a Picasso is worth 1 Million so is 0856"
    (1984) Should have stepped up.
    Best

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Or playing for the Packers. Same thing.

Ken

20. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    William Favre either committed suicide or was murdered just shortly after he started production of these cars back in the late '80's/'90's. I'm not sure, but I think there could be 8 to 12 of these cars around.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, that was what I remembered....

1) Made some important people real mad.
    2) Found with mysterious bullet holes.

22. grahamdelooze

grahamdelooze Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    england
    Full Name:
    graham de looze
    i think the favre bodies were made in south east england.there are a few english body guys with gto experience and its not as expensive as you would think.

23. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think there is obviously a market, just that its very very soft. Very few people want a car made by YOU, they want a factory built one with a name. Those who would buy a replicar, arent willing to throw big money into it. And thats where the problem lies, in that it will be hard to even pay for your time and materials. Who would pay $50K or more for a non-Ferrari, when you could buy a real one, or a Pantera, or a ........ The other problem is that most of the replicars are fiberglass. People want the car built like the original, out of metal. Whats a replica Cobra selling for? The ones making money are the ones that redo a production car, or build thier own car. On the other hand, I would love to have a Ferrari 166MM Barchetta. But as they are well above a million, I am out of luck. There are a few people including myself who would contemplate building one, but the engine is not available, and who would want anything other that a 2 liter V-12 for it. Lets say for example we could cast a new block, and put together a 2 liter V-12 engine, but use modern ideas. We build some frames, we hammer out some aluminum bodies, and instead of being correct, we use modern brakes and suspension. What would it be worth?

24. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    [​IMG]

( picture by Lini - thanks to ImageShack. )

Paul M

25. Rey

Rey Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rey