The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

bye bye P4Staff... it was probably Paul just using the local library PC.

2. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Your house Rob, so do as you please - but I don't see why.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Simple, there's a punishment as part of a ban. What good is the punishment if you can have someone else post for you or just create an alias. What's so hard to understand about that? Of course he wants to post, but that permission was taken away. Doesn't matter what he wants to post about.

IP matches too. ;)

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Rob -

I think you're overreacting a bit; so far P4Staff/P4 hasn't said anything wrong (on this thread)......and I would like to learn a bit more about P4 replicas in general. Give us a bit more rope before you hang us!

james

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    P4 has been the only ban really since Allan. I think the rope goes around the world a few times. P4 isn't really a ban, but an all out quiet period between everyone on the #0846 topic. P4 even agreed it was a good idea.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, I got confused with some of P4Replica's other aliases. P 4 Staff is probably not the same person. I will correct my mistake.

However, P4Replica, you still can't post, even through other users until the ban is over.

Thanks,
    rob

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I thought P 4 Staff stated he was in Sweden with those HOT Stockholm babes!

*post euro blonde hottie here*

But I agree the endless nit picking is getting OOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLD.

P 4 staff is walking a dangerous line though.

I was over at JRVs and AllanLambo said to say, "Blah Blah Blah." Same Thing!
    (not that I was, or he did........lol!)

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Regarding the ongoing debate over a certain Ferrari's restoration that may or may not be a certain serial number:

Why is it that many posters get angry with the ongoing debate because nothing NEW was being added to the discussion, yet when potentially explosive NEW evidence is brought up like recorded telephone conversations with people IN THE KNOW, the discussion is quickly brought to a halt with all threads locked down?

Sounds like the facts were quickly homing in on the truth, and somebody up north didn't like what was starting to ooze out. Why else would the discussions on that matter be halted?

In Rob's defense, we know that he didn't want the entire matter to end up with official legal accusations flying back and forth. That is pretty much contrary to the well being of the Ferrari community. But don't shoot the messenger(s).

If somebody appears on the board with a statement to the effect that
    "Hey everybody, I'm restoring a rare Ferrari that is serial number 6480" (or whatever), don't expect everybody to "open wide" and take whatever is being spoon fed without some very spirited debate.

The rarer the car, the greater the intrigue, the livelier the debate!

(For what it's worth, P4Replica and P4Staff are two different members.)

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Horsefly, I know where you are coming from. I myself can't wait to read the articles and expert opinions on both sides. To me it's just a matter of %. We'll see when all the information is out and trust me, I will allow a respectable debate to occur. However, we've been on this topic awhile going in circles and I think it's good for a break. I'm not taking sides, but we were heading down the path of personal statements that might be actionable. My new excuse is all in the name of karma. ;)

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  11. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    Whoever buys it better redo the intake and turbo plumbing, it's a disaster waiting to happen. :(

Let's see, (dirty) K&N intake, with no ducting, right above the exhaust. Then the aluminium intake follows the exhaust system right past the glowing red turbo, and takes a sharp 180º bend before entering the turbo, where the already superheated air gets warmed up some more. It then passes through a woefully small and inadequately ducted Intercooler, out some poorly fabricated pipes into a manifold that looks like it belongs on a Model T. If that's anything to go by I hope the rest of the car is built to a better standard.:rolleyes:

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I thought the engine bay looked rather crummy. Rest looks ok except for the ugly steering wheel and shift knob. Will be interesting to see for how much it goes if it does.

I always wonder how much room there is in these P4 replicas for a big engine. No wonder there is one with a V-6 for sale. Stuffing in 12 cylinders looks like a tight fit (although Noble did a 12 boxer I believe).

13. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    I thought the panels didn't fit that well and the whole interior was a bit crappy. I'd prefer some bare alloy and less padding and rounded edges, and the stitching on the dash doesn't look right.

As much as I like 4 cylinder turbos, I reckon they dont belong in this car (unless it was just a track hack), so a repower with a minimum of eight cylinders would be in order. The 2 Litre Cosworth is quite a long motor so it's hard to judge what else could be shoe-horned in. I would guess the Boxer had the underslung gearbox or else I can't see how you'd fit it. With the right gearbox a small V8 wouldn't be a problem, a 348 engine would fit nicely, but any more cylinders and it would have to have closer bore spacings than most production engines.

Somehow I doubt it will make reserve, judging from the write up and the starting bid, I'd guess the reserve is on the high side of £20,000. Some people may think it's worth that, not me, but that's probably because I don't like look alike kit cars, especially ones that don't even follow the construction of the original :(

14. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    It is JUST possible to fit a V12 into the engine bay of a Noble/Foreman P4 (from talking to Neil Foreman at Goodwood a couple of years ago when he had Max Wakefield's car on show).

But it has to be a small V12 - in the UK quite a few people have thought of fitting a Jaguar XJ12 5300cc engine because they are cheap and readily available, but they are too big without lengthening the car, especially the body shell, and ruining the looks.

Engines that will fit are the Lamborghini 4000cc and the Ferrari 400i; and Ferrari v8's, of course. And some people have squashed 512BB engines in, though I can't for the life of me see why.

Paul M

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I have it on extremely good authority, that this is actually Noble chassis #026

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think the incredibly filthy engine says it all about this car ... looks unloved to me :(

Pete

17. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
  18. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    "race patina"
    That's a good one. I wonder if the guy that wrote that sells real estate also. Kind of equivalent to "freeway close". Nice looking car though.

19. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    It's definitely the best looking Favre car I've seen.

20. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Rode hard... put up wet! Still, I love it. The car needs some basic cleanup and detailing. It looks neglected. The headers scream to be ceramic coated and a little touch up paint would go a long ways!

I would be interested in owning that car at something around $140-150K. But at the $225K+ he has been trying to get for the past 18 months or so.... to me its way overpriced. After all, its a replica for crying out loud! While I think its neat and all... the snobby crowd wont let you play.

Terry

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What a load of cr@p. Patina is created by simply driving the car, you don't need to artificially create it.

Another GTE ruined for the mighty dollar. Again if anybody can find me a replica Ferrari that is actually used then I may think about changing my tune. but EVERY single one I have ever heard of has been created simply to sell on ... just the same as painting resale red.

I think the only replica's that are ever used are ones NOT created on Ferraris, because the intention with those cars is to drive them ... with all Ferrari based replicas it is about purchasing a cheap old Ferrari and fncking it by cutting it up and creating a replica of another Ferrari that has much higher value ... as has been done to this car. The 250 GTE probably only cost them $30,000 ... they are set to make a good profit.

What I also find amazing about this supposedly so accurate car is they have not even used the correct fuel hose and instead have the black modern stuff. You can still buy the yellow wired hose that was used in the GTO days. Plus that shift gate looks wrong ... have to check my books but I thought the slots were even on real GTO's.

Again if anybody makes these things to actually drive them, I may change my tune, but that is never the case ... it is just the usual second hand car dealer BS, ie. tart up a cheap car (add mags and the pin strip, etc.)

Pete

22. don

don Karting

Jan 7, 2004
    Dunedin Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Don Nelson
    Ther has been a lot of discussion lately about "Favre" GTO replicas.
    As the owner of a "Real" 250GTO for many years, naturally I took notice of the Favre cars, which caused a storm when they were announced. I believe that one or two of these cars were sold as real GTOs, and that Mr Favre spent some time out of circulation!
    The point is this - A replica GTO is not neccessarily a Favre built car. If you are going to buy one of these, you need it's pedigree. The Favre GTO's were beautifully built, from the ground up, and did not use a cut and shut 250 2 Plus 2 chassis. The frame was an accurately reproduced GTO,made from fresh oval tube, but more than likely used an original 250 front crossmember. They command a high price today, because they would cost a small fortune to make at today's prices. Favre would also build you one with a 330 motor - -Ferrari did the same after all !

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Don
    Will you be at Monterey with your GTO? I'll be there with my P 3/4 (FOLI Transporter) Look forward to meeting you.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Jim (in case Don doesn't check back in and respond), Don sold his GTO some 20 years ago.

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ah. Will his GTO be there?