The Official Latifi Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Official Latifi Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nuvolari, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Love 'em or hate 'em, they have super licenses, no?

tifosi12 and william like this.
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Didn’t know that but I guessed he came from money though he just looks like a kid who never had to worry about a thing, instead of being an arrogant p____.

3. Maybe when Lance's actually on his own two feet, instead of under daddy's wing, his personality will change. I've seen it before. ;)

william likes this.
  4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I guess everything is for sale this days....

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Who do you think will be next Izzy, Christian Grey????

Isobel likes this.
  6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I like Lando, seems like a really nice kid, and fast too, but i'm starting to get a bit annoyed by the "brit hype" around him, and trying to make him look better than he really is. Rhet were all gloating about his amazing race, and how he was the drive rof the day...i can't see why? he didn't overtook anyone, he just kept runing and made it to the end, meanwhile they say Charles lucked into second...BS, he had to pass 2 guys in front of him, and the way he drove around Norris and then kept the car on track was top notch...Albon tried the same and we know how it ended....

kes7u likes this.
  7. True enough.

On the other hand, back "in the day" (I don't know when you started following) when the drivers were making diddly-squat, they mostly were wealthy to begin with; 'why they could afford to do it for no pay. Also why the drivers were pretty much older, as they had been doing other things before being able to afford the time for their"hobby".

So, in reality, it's really gotten better these days. 'Gotta look below the surface for the "whole" story. :)

tifosi12 and william like this.
  8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Absolutely true. The "golden" days of F1 in the fifties had lots of rich guys playing racing driver. Today the sport is so much more professional on every level.

A super license is not nothing, nor is it for sale. Lance and Latifi earned it through their championship wins in lower formula.

william and lorenzobandini like this.
  9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #34 zygomatic, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020

To quote the philosopher Biggie: Mo money. Mo problems.

Isobel likes this.
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    But in the the 50s, some of those rich "playboys" actually had talent, like Musso or Portago, unlike Stroll or Latiffi, an dthere are many more, like De Angelis, or as we mentioned Norris, the diference as is aid, is that some have talent and are fast, others are and will be hopelessly slow!
    I must concede Stroll is a getting better, he was 1s to 1,5s a lap slower than Massa, and now he seems to be only baou 3th from Checo....not sure if this is good advertising for Perez :)

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Latifi who? That is all.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have absolutely nothing against pay-drivers, rich kids, ambitious fathers, or play boys racing in F1.
    The steps to get a Superlicense filter those who merit to get there.
    I am quite happy with that.
    I never understood the hate against Stroll, and now Latifi.
    It says more about the detractors than about these 2 young drivers

marioz, lorenzobandini and tifosi12 like this.
  13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I see where you are coming from but I disagree. We have to put up with pay drivers because the economics of F1 dictate it. That’s not right. Hopefully the new capped economics model will reduce or eliminate this need and then F1 drivers can be selected based on merit in preference to how rich their parents are.

Bas likes this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What is not "right" ?

Money gets you in F1. It could be your own, your parents or your sponsors.
    If you are a Brazilian bank, you may push a Brazilian driver.
    If you are a Scandinavian celnet provider, you may ask for a Scandinavian driver, etc ...
    Sponsors chose who they want among the huge pool of the drivers; they don't only look at lap times, but image.
    They think about promotional work, photoshoots, etc ...
    I can't see nothing wrong with that.
    I keep repeating "Who pays the piper calls the tune"

Nuvolari, lorenzobandini and tifosi12 like this.
  15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Silly

You could have made that comment with pretty much every WDC in F1 when they started. Few arrived as superstars. Nobody ever heard of a Lauda, Mansell or Schumacher, to name a few of the more successful pay drivers when they joined F1. MS was about as well known as Frentzen.

Schultz, lorenzobandini and william like this.
  16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Dream on.

F1 is an economics game. Pay drivers will always be part of it. As they have from day 1 in 1950. Nothing new. I suggest you read a book about the history of F1.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Let’s bookmark this comment and see how things pan out in a season or two. As you know, I’m very happy to eat my words when I’m proven wrong. But for now I’ll leave you with this:-

Latifi who? ;)

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm not saying he will amount to much. In fact he spent so much time in F2 that it is doubtful he has what it takes. It's not like I'm a fan of his or believe in him.

My comment was about you saying "who?": F1 superstars normally become that in F1 if they have what it takes. Rarely would show one up and you'd say yes, he is it. Some said that on here about LeClerc and I think they were right. But more often than not unknowns arrive at F1. In fact you could almost make the opposite argument: If a famous name arrives, it is often a bad sign because that person is the son of a WDC and more often than not fails to deliver (not entirely true as Hill and Villeneuve did very well, but then there was Piquet Jr., Andretti Jr. and all the ones that didn't even make it to F1 as in Lauda, Prost, Schumacher III etc).

lorenzobandini and william like this.
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    MOst drivers that are good are already known by some....Most of us knew Charles was very good, same as Elton, or Max, but there are guys you JUST KNOW they suck even before turning a lap. Nobody excepts Latifo to be even be a decent midfielder, but there were some better expectations regardiinf Stroll...and he was much worst than most would have expected. A bit like Eriksson, but no one expected anything good from him....

20. Uuuhhh....apparently you do. 'Can tell just by that statement.

(Or, did you mean "Nobody accepts Latifo to be even be a decent midfielder" ;))

I'll reserve judgement, as I have with Stroll, 'til he's been in for a while. With different cars also, as with Stroll.

21. Uuuhhh....apparently you do. 'Can tell just by that statement.

(Or, did you mean "Nobody accepts Latifo to be even be a decent midfielder" ;))

I'll reserve judgement, as I have with Stroll, 'til he's been in for a while. With different cars also, as with Stroll.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think he meant expect, perhaps

lorenzobandini likes this.
  23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I agree with you - and I actually think we are on the same page! I think the sentiment of my ‘Latifi who?’ comment wasn’t clear. I didn’t mean I hadn’t heard of him. What I meant was that in future people will say ‘Latifi who?’ as a result of him not amounting to much.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok with that.

BTW: I have heard of him. "met" him at the Canadian GP in 2018. He was one of the few who were hanging around in the pits during the pitwalk. The other guy was some bloke driving for Sauber. Forgot his name, something like Charly or Charles. :p

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    ah ah ah :D