The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread | Page 28 | FerrariChat

The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by dave80gtsi, Apr 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Id buy a used one with low miles. Theres plenty out there cheap. Remember if your not embarrassed by your offer...... your paying too much

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is about 1,200 miles since my oil change (dipstick was reading at the top after oil change).

Am I to believe this is not normal?

Attached Files:

3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That’s not an alarming rate, in my opinion. Be very consistant in your checking methods. That would appear to be maybe four to eight ounces over the mileage you stated. Fuel dilution can increase consumption rate , so some loss can be seen from any extended idling or fouled injectors, carboned up rings or valves/seats. A fuel cleaner or burn enhancer may help in that case, as would reduce idling times and frequent short commute trips without some extended drives thrown in in order to burn off any bypassed fuel. Some oils will volatilize more than others, also. It may benefit you to choose a better oil /different brand. Others have seen greater consumption rates with Pennzoil, as opposed to other brands.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you, that makes me feel a little bit better. I googled the Abarth oil consumption:
    So, I should be good! Thank you for the vote of confidence!

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I really like the Grey options, especially with red accents, looks killer. I am hoping to cage mine and run it in the Chihuahua Express next year.

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I went out in the back roads of upstate New York and hammered this car for a good few hours straight. Didn't miss a beat! I have officially bonded with this car now. I wound up at a nature center. Do you know what color the handles are on a dual flush toilet?! What about the color of the boathouse at Hereford?

Attached Files:

Rags747 and TestShoot like this.
  7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    It is such a fun car for a person to just get in and drive by themselves. Looks like you had a blast! If you do the rear torsion bar and maybe the chassis stiffener braces, you'll really see the turn-ins improve.

Side note, that's an interesting fuel filler cap...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and PaulK like this.
  8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks! I plan to mod the car a little some day. I want to get the Comp wheels but first, the Ferrari takes priority. :D

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just wanted to say... after almost 2 years, I love this car! Mine is lightly tuned. 500 Madness Ecu, KW coilovers, Wilwood front big brake, and exhaust. I love daily driving this car.

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My GF is currently looking for one. Anyone here selling one in Socal?

TestShoot likes this.
  11. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have a 13 and use it as my daily. Was just saying the exact same thing to myself today. I just love driving this thing. 12 degrees here today in NY but she doesn’t miss a step. Just a fun fun car to play around in for not much cash. I have 33k miles with oil changes only, would love to buy a new one but there are zero changes. If they would make some decent updates and add 25hp I would have my excuse.

ShineKen likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    We need the 695 Competizione in the states ASAP!

duskybird likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Definitely!!
    What year do you want for ur gf? Im not driving my 2017 much anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineKen likes this.
  14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Love my 2012. Car does not miss a beat. Doesn’t even feel front-drive unless hard throttle with wheel cranked!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    78k on my 12. Probably one the most reliable cars I've had!

16. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I’ve got about 56k on my 2012, feels new. It’s crazy, Before I bought this car, everybody was saying what a piece of crap they are. Everyone was wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Absolutely! My 2013 Cabrio, bought new, has been my four-season daily driver for 6 years straight now.

Maintenance costs have been simple and routine - oil changes, a set of tires, and a set of brake pads. That's it. Far lowest maintenance overall cost, and frequency of maintenance needs, of any car that I have ever owned!

To anyone thinking about getting one, my highest recommendation would be to get the Cabrio. There hasn't been anyone who has seen the car for the first time who has not loved the retractable roof. I consider it to be the 'neatest' feature of the car, and when closed, it gives you a couple more inches of needed headroom as a bonus.

greg328 likes this.
  18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I met a guy from the forums with a cabrio and i kinda want one too.

I met a guy from the forums with a cabrio and i kinda want one too.
    looking used market? stick or auto? There are times I am tempted to sell mine because i don't drive it enough.

ShineKen likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My GF is considering colors other than white (because mine is white), black, silver, and gunmetal. She's interested in Red, Pastel Gray, Pastel Blue, Sonic Blue, and pearl yellow. We don't want to travel too far get one. We're looking all over Socal, San Diego, Norcal, and Las Vegas.

She does NOT know how to drive stick. I haven't took the time to teach her. I recommended her to look for an automatic one, which we have found. She insists she can learn how to drive stick and it "doesn't look so hard" lol. I'm still telling her to get an automatic, but she's been stubbornly shopping around for one with stick. She might change her mind when I actually let her drive my car lol. It's been raining and I only have weekends to teach her. She might pick it up quickly or be in for a rude awakening. So at the moment, I do not have a definite answer, but we are keeping our eyes open.

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I have been enjoying it but the rains prevent me from driving. It also is becoming part of a beaver dam when everything slides off the hills and washes down my street.

If she is not used to stick, that reverse gear issue is infuriating.

I did almost every chassis stiffening mod, carbon fiber intake, upgraded intercooler, ECU mod, and lowering springs, subwoofer, tint, f/r dashcams. It's a riot when I get to drive it. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ShineKen likes this.
  21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    ShineKen likes this.
  22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    80K on our white one, rolling 50K in the black one this week. No problems except dead OEM batteries on each, brake pad replacements, and fast tire wear.

23. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    72.5K now on my 2013 daily driver Abarth with no issues. I've only replaced consumables like head/tail-light bulbs, battery, tires (on my 4th set), oil, filters.

TestShoot likes this.
  24. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Yeah, just replaced my brake lights, DRL next

Debating on selling it in the spring. A year is probably enough time with it for me. But I could fall in love with it again.

25. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    As the creator of this thread, I will use Post no. 700 to note that today I traded my Abarth in on a new Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport.

The Abarth had been a treat, but changing family conditions (grandkids) now require a 4 door car.